Special Events station 9/12/15

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by ghrit, Sep 8, 2015.

Tags:
  1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Off topic, just getting the word out. All are invited to participate or just listen. We will have several active stations working the frequencies listed below and will be rotating around depending on conditions and the mood of the operators and event directors. For more info and links, please go to the club website, The Susquehanna County Amateur Radio Club - index

What is being commemorated?
    The Lackawanna Railroad undertook a great project to improve rail travel between New York City and Buffalo, NY, back in the early 1900s. In this project, significant grade changes and curve elimination were made to save much time on this rail journey. In so doing, they built many new bridges, and most specifically the Tunkhannock Creek Viaduct at Nicholson, PA and the Martins' Creek Viaduct in Kingsley, PA.

When is the Commemoration?
    1500Z September 12 2015 to 0300Z September 13 2015. For those not familiar with Universal Time, that is September 12, 2015 at 11:00 AM Eastern Time until 11:00 PM that night (12 hour event)

Members will be monitoring on or near these frequencies:
    10 Meter 28.390 MHz USB Note: Novice/Tech Voice Band
    15 Meter 21.390 MHz USB
    20 Meter 14.330 MHz USB
    40 Meter 7.180 MHz LSB
    80 Meter 3.900 MHz LSB

Those are the "for sure" frequencies to be operated. There MAY be some of the code freak hams working CW, but that is not a certainty. There MAY be some 6 meter SSB attempts as well, check on 50.130 now and then.

Contact the Club to request your certificate
    [​IMG]
    Send your request for a certificate including your logged contact information
    (UTC, Frequency, Signal RS, Your call, Your address)
    along with $10 US to cover all costs to:

Susquehanna County Amateur Radio Club
    P O Box 564
    Montrose, PA 18801
    USA

Tevin, Tully Mars and chelloveck like this.
  2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Interesting, but out of my limited equipment's reach. What is the connection to ham radio, though? Why is this a ham radio event? (I do not yet see the connection.)

3. ghrit

It's a common thing that hams do just for S&G, and use the equipment. Any given weekend you can find special events stations on the air. QST lists them every month.

4. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Ah, OK. I do not get that listing. Primarily I listen while I drive, to pick up on the methods and mannerisms.
    Not a lot sticks yet.[eek3]

5. ghrit

Last I heard, you were using a handheld, but maybe it still could hear other freqs even if not transmit. Some can, anyway.

6. ssonb

ssonb Confederate American

I will try to hit you on the 10m around 11am if conditions permit, if not i'll try at 7.30pm when the sun sets. I have made a few DX contacts down in South America with a polar bounce in the late afternoon. I have no QSLs yet this might be fun.

7. ghrit

Looks like we'll have three stations on, with a possibility of a fourth. The published bands are 80, 40, 15, 10, with the possibility of random shots on 6 at 50.130. We'll look for you on 10 right at or slightly after 1100. My setup will be spastic, there are three of us going to be at my QTH, and of the three of us, none have done this before.

8. ssonb

I just earned my tech ticket back in June So this is a lot of new to me also, If I make contact I will also ID that I am A SM member.

9. ssonb

I tried yesterday on and off to see if skip conditions would improve, they did'nt ,10m sucked, I picked up noone QRP or DX. I did pick up the Ohio state fair on 40m 7.180 running their net, I am pretty shure some event was in North Carolina running on the 20m 14.330. Hey thats why it is called working a contact.

10. ghrit

I don't have the overall results yet. We had four stations up and running that I know of, and a couple other members might have been active as well on 80 where I'm limited. Conditions were, ah, "less than ideal" to the extent that I had some problems with contacting local club guys on 10 and 15, too. And yes, 40 was a mess. There was also something in the way of a contest in (I think) Indiana on the same freq we were trying to use. From here, the day looked like a bust. Will pass along the results when I get them.

11. ssonb

Naturally the skip for 10m rolled in Sunday afternoon, I made contacts in Stanchfield Conn. and down in Nicaragua. Heck that is just the way the ball(skip) bounces

1. Qwertyportne
  2. Tully Mars
  3. sdr
  4. Southbound
  5. SB21
  6. Bandit99
  7. sdr
  8. Bandit99
  9. Bandit99
  10. DKR
  11. BTPost
  12. Grandpa Patch