Speculation

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Seacowboys, Jul 8, 2014.

1. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Something else to consider that lends credence to the "I'm unfamiliar with the weapon and don't really know what I'm talking about" theory. There is no way that I'm aware of to know for sure if there is a round in the chamber without pulling the slide back a little to verify... at least not on any I've ever seen.

Yes, if the magazine is in the weapon and the last round had been fired the slide should lock back in the open position but I have seen this not happen more times than I would care to see if there is a problem with the magazine.

No, this doesn't answer the safety on/off question but could bring into question the officer's assessment of the state of the firearm in general which then begs the question "what did the officer mean by his statement?"

While those in the know should know what cocked and locked means, I have heard those less knowledgeable use the term to refer to anything from loaded to charged with nothing in the chamber to one in the pipe and a half cocked hammer to one in the pipe on a firearm with no safety and an integrated, internal (hidden) hammer that truly has zero way to ascertain said status.

I grieve for and with you and unfortunately, short of pictures of the weapon as it sat at the time, I'm afraid you might never get the answers you are looking for. At this point, recollection will already be fuzzy at best on the officer's part.

Please don't take this as a suggestion to drop it, it's far from that. You need to do what you need to do to find closure but please, please, please don't let it consume you. If it was in fact suicide, you will never in this life learn why our what was happening. I've dealt with suicide before of someone that was truly out of the blue and the only reason we found out why was diary entries on a laptop that nobody thought to look for for almost a year. Until then it was one of those true mysteries that nobody saw coming.

If there was something else going on, yes I hope you can get to the bottom of it. Is it possible (likely even) that the weapon was on its left side and the officer simply misspoke in both terminology (cocked and locked) and in identification of the safety as a slide lock? As we've seen, the safety should have been in the down position given what most likely transpired.

Edit:fix android typos

2. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

There are an infinite number of "possibles" but there is only one WTF happened? There is a statement in the police report, as yet unverified as to correctness, that opens a myriad of other "possibilities". It is offensive to assume that I am not aware of this and equally so, to assume that I am obsessed with my son's suicide. Just one simple question? Which ones of you would ignore something like this or dismiss it as a probable error on the part of an incompetent police officer, if your kid lay on a slab? And what platitude or possibility, would cause you to cease to wonder? Ad to the equation that my son's MIL, a left-handed criminal attorney, BTW, arrived well ahead of the police, maybe even before they were called. Also take into account they were married for only 7 months and still undeniably happy, had a very well paying job and job security, insurance, oh, and that his bi-polar bride has a bit of a mental health issue and just can't imagine how her best friend and the love of her life went from such an ecstatic happiness to dead over a silly fight?Also worthy of mention, was that a witness mentioned at the funeral, that he was sure he saw the MIL locate and pocket a second fired shell casing from the room, but only one bullet hole in the ceiling. I can resign each of these possibilities, given a correct bullet angle, no means of actually verifying the second shell casing, and the spouse getting a negative on the GSR, but according to the Police report, the gun was "Cocked and Locked" meaning it was safed. And I want to know. Hopefully, sometime today the officer will return my call.

Tracy likes this.
  3. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Never called you obsessed. I apologize if it came across that way and you were offended.

I don't know how I would react because it hasn't happened to me. I wanted to ask about any lefties but my post was already long and I was tired if typing on my phone.

I'll refrain from commenting further as I'm apparently pouring gas on the fire.

4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I can relate to Sea's position, as I had a SIL, that left my youngest Daughter, a Widow, by using a "Once fired Glock"..... He did leave a Note, and did a fair Job of explaining, his Untenable Life Position, that caused him to take this route, out from under his troubles. It was very traumatic for our Family, and Alaskachick flew down to deal with the aftermath, and advise our daughter, when dealing with the Investigation, and Weapon Retrieval, from LE Custody. In our case, the Note and Physical Circumstances left little doubt, what the issues were, and the Why of the outcome. In Sea's Case, the issues are not so clear, as he has explained above.

On another Note, My FIL, (Alaskachick's Father, Age 85) who we now call "Stubby" had an Accidental Discharge while trying to Open the Cylinder on his Dan Wesson .357 Mag Revolver. He lost half of his Left Hand Ring Finger. After hearing the Story, related by him and his Son, we tried to reproduce the Accident, using Alaskachick's Stainless .357 Mag Revolver. We determined that the Issue he encountered was, that he hadn't used the supplied Feeler Gauge, when installing the 6" Barrel on the Frame, and had screwed the Barrel in to far, which caused the Cylinder to not be turning Freely, in the Frame. When he went to UnLoad the Weapon to show it to his son, He because Frustrated, because he couldn't get the Cylinder to, unlatch, and swing out. In the process, he cocked the Hammer, and then when fiddling with the weapon, caused the AD, and the loss, of the end of the finger. It was a series of deductions, and tests before we came to this conclusion. this was verified by the local Gunsmith that my FIL took the weapon to, to bring it back into Operational Condition. GrandPa is fast becoming our Family's "DeadEye" just like @VisuTrac 's FIL.... Forensic Testing can revel a lot about circumstances of incidents. .....

5. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

I too hope you can get ahold of him/her (the officer). sounds like alot of strange things going on. I would be obsessed if it were my kid. Prayers buddy for all you seek.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7