Recipe Spicy or Sweet, Mustard is easy to make at home

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by tacmotusn, Jan 14, 2011.

Tags:
  1. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

I shamelessly stole this from another source. I edited it, and I am making a hard copy for my survival files. Since I had gone to all that work, I thought I would share.

Spicy or Sweet, ... Mustard is easy to make at home.
    The flavor possibilities are endless!

Tangy or sweet, subtle or potent or super spicy, mustard, even made with limes (or lemons, if you rather), is Delicious. In fact, You can make zippy, zingy and easy mustards with truly unique flavors right at home.
    There are three types of mustard seeds generally used for cooking: black, brown and white (sometimes called yellow), which you can find at your local grocery store. Black and brown seeds are often used in hotter, more pungent mustards, while white seeds are usually used in the milder mustards favored in the United States. Mustard powder can be found in the herbs or bulk herbs aisle at your grocery store, or made by finely grinding mustard seeds using a mortar and pestle.
    Using any type of mustard seed, the flavor is most potent when the prepared mustard is fresh, and becomes less intense over time. And while a basic mustard simply involves soaking tangy mustard powder (or ground mustard seeds) in vinegar, water or other liquid, once you start experimenting with herbs and other flavors, the possibilities are endless!

Lime Mustard with Coriander

2 1/8 cups white mustard seeds, ground
    2 tbsp mustard powder
    1/2 cup water
    2/3 cup white wine vinegar
    1/4 cup honey
    1/4 cup sugar
    2 tsp salt
    2 tsp ground coriander seeds
    Grated zest (rind) of 1 lime
    2 1/4 tbsp lime juice

In a bowl, combine the ground mustard seeds and mustard powder with the water. Allow to marinate for 3 hours. Transfer the mixture to a food processor, and gradually add the other ingredients except the lime juice when processing. Sample the mixture, adding enough of lime juice to make it smooth. Spoon into small sterilized jars. Cap the jars tightly, and label. Store in the refrigerator for several months. Yields 2 cups.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hotter Than Hot Mustard

1/2 cup cold water
    2 cups mustard powder
    1/2 cup cider vinegar
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    Pinch of salt

Gradually whisk the water into the mustard powder, beating out all the lumps. Let rest for 15 minutes. Any bitterness from the mustard powder will disappear during this time. Whisk in the vinegar and oil, mixing until smooth. Mix in the brown sugar and salt, and stir until smooth. Ladle the mustard into small sterilized jars. Cap tightly, label and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 months. Yields 2 cups.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tarragon & Green Peppercorn Mustard

1/4 cup light or dark mustard seeds
    1/3 cup tarragon white wine vinegar*
    1/3 cup water
    1/4 cup dry white wine
    1 tbsp fresh tarragon, minced
    1 tbsp green peppercorns, crushed
    1 tbsp honey or 2 tbsp sugar
    1 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp ground cloves

*You can make your own tarragon white wine vinegar by steeping fresh tarragon in heated white wine vinegar (store in a sterilized jar).

Combine mustard seeds, vinegar, water and wine in a bowl. Let sit for 4 hours, uncovered, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a blender or food processor. Process to the desired consistency, from slightly course to creamy. Pour into the top of a double boiler over simmering water. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cook for 10 minutes, or until thickened, stirring often. Mustard will be thicker when cooled. Pour into sterilized jars, cap tightly, and store in the refrigerator. Wait several days before using to allow flavors to blend. Yields 1 cup.

Cranberry Honey Mustard

As the dried cranberries soak with the mustard and vinegar, their bright red color leaches out into the vinegar. The resulting mustard is a pretty, cranberry-tinted pink.

3/4 cup yellow mustard seeds
    1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
    1 1/4 cups dried cranberries
    3 tbsp honey
    1 tsp salt

In a non-aluminum pot or jar, combine the mustard seeds, vinegar and cranberries; cover and soak for 48 hours, adding additional vinegar if necessary to maintain enough liquid to cover the seeds.

Scrape the soaked seed-and-cranberry mixture into a food processor and process until the mixture turns from liquid and seeds to a creamy consistency flecked with seeds and bits of cranberry. Add honey and salt. The process takes at least 3 to 4 minutes, so be patient. You may need to add additional vinegar as necessary to create a nice creamy mustard; keep in mind that it will thicken slightly upon standing.

After about 1 week of aging, the cranberry flavor seems to settle into this mustard and make it all the better, but it is perfectly good immediately. Yields about 3 1/3 cups.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honey Stout Mustard

1 cup yellow mustard seeds
    1 cup brown mustard seeds
    1 1/2 cups English stout (such as Guinness)
    3/4 cup cider vinegar
    1 small onion, finely minced
    4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
    1 tbsp brown sugar
    4 tbsp honey
    1/3 cup mustard powder
    1 tsp allspice
    1/2 tsp turmeric
    1 tsp salt

Soak mustard seeds in stout for at least 4 hours (add more stout if necessary to keep seeds covered). In a heavy saucepan, combine vinegar with the onion, garlic, brown sugar, honey, mustard powder, allspice, turmeric and salt. Simmer, uncovered, over medium heat until reduced by half (about 10 to 15 minutes). Pour reduced liquid through a strainer into mustard-and-stout mixture. Process in food processor or blender until coarsely ground. Return mixture to saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly for about 5 minutes or until slightly thickened (it will thicken more as it cools). Let cool and pack into sterilized jars and cover tightly. Store, refrigerated, for up to 2 years (although mustards do lose their potency over time). Yields 3 1/2 cups.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

When I couldn't find my regular beer mustard anywhere a couple years ago, I got this recipe from someplace on the web - don't remember where. Great if you like beer mustard.

* 1 cup mustard seeds
    * 2 cups lager beer
    * 1 1/3 cups malt vinegar
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
    * 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
    * 2 teaspoons kosher salt
    * 1 1/4 tablespoons sugar
    * 1 tablespoon dry mustard
    * 1 tablespoon minced garlic
    * 2 tablespoons horseradish

In a small bowl combine the mustard seeds, lager, and malt vinegar. Cover and soak overnight.

Strain the liquid and reserve in a separate container. Place the soaked seeds in a food processor and pulse 7 to 8 times. In a double boiler, place the cracked seeds and add the strained liquid, allspice, pepper, salt, sugar, dry mustard, garlic, and horseradish. Cook about 90 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let cool, then refrigerate.

3. sarawolf

sarawolf Monkey+++

Thank you for the recipes very nice ones.

4. Goldwampum

Goldwampum Monkey+

Wow thanks. I love a good mustard.

5. Ladyhawke

Ladyhawke Monkey+

I thought I would keep the mustard theme going. I make these mustard crackers at the restaurant and they are addictive.*

Mustard crackers
    Makes 2 12-inch logs

2 cups butter, softened
    2 lb sharp cheddar, grated
    2 lrg egg yolks
    1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
    1/4 cup dried mustard
    1/2 cup mustard seeds
    1 tbsp plus 1 tsp real salt (or kosher)
    4 cups all purpose flour

Mix all dry ingredients then put into a food processor and add the wet. *Pulse just until it comes together (don't over work it). *Using parchment paper split the dough into half and make into 2 logs roughly 12 inches long. *Wrap and set in the fridge for 30 minutes before slicing. *We make giant batches and tightly wrap and freeze the logs and just pull them out to bake. *

When ready to bake, slice into 1/4 inch slices and put on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for about 10-12 minutes or until slightly browned. Let cool and store in airtight container.

I hope you enjoy them. I am going to go try the lime mustard.

1. Ganado
  2. Yard Dart
    [IMG]
    Thread by: Yard Dart, Mar 20, 2020, 10 replies, in forum: Back to Basics
  3. sec_monkey
    Blueberry fritters enjoy (y) (y) Blueberry Fritters
    Thread by: sec_monkey, Jun 8, 2019, 5 replies, in forum: Recipes
  4. DKR
  5. DKR
  6. Ganado
  7. Homunculi
  8. Bishop