Spider Identification Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by melbo, Sep 24, 2010.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

What's this spider?

We've identified quite a few insects and spiders in the 5 years of this forum. I thought it would be cool to dedicate a thread to helping others Name That Spider.

Especially after I snapped this picture tonight. I'd say he was about the size of a .50 cent piece (that's bigger than a quarter for you debit card only kids).

So, what is this guy? Hint: Northwest
    IMG_0542 (Large).JPG

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

3. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

hobo watch the bare feet in grass

4. melbo

I thought it was a hobo too. The 'boxing gloves' give it away. I've seen about 4 in my shop where I'm unpacking boxes. Unfortunately, I also googled hobo spider bite images. Necrosis like a B Recluse.

You ever been bitten?

5. Quigley_Sharps

funnel web is in the same family as the hobo. no never bitten know a few, my daughter was bitten by a brown recluse on the front of her neck as a young kid, .

6. melbo

I took that picture with my phone... at about 3"

7. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

8. Quigley_Sharps

At our mnt house we would bug bomb once every 3-5 year's due to the filed around us housing lots of spiders we would use them under the house depending on the, attic, and each room we would us the raid type where you add water in a cup and they have a timed delay release so you didn’t breath it.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

9. melbo

Bug bombs are for guys who wear fanny packs. I sat in the shop with a suppressed .22 and NV goggles ast night and cleaned house.

10. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

I got a great buzz from the fumes. We had the spray cans that lock. Click and run!

11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

How do you identify them when stomped? Love spiders in the yard, they keep other things under control. However, the webs in the house don't make me nearly as happy. On the floor, they are fair game for shoe hunting.

12. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I find a .22 revolver with primer-only Colibri loads is good "Spider Medicine". Not much penetration - easy patch to the walls...... ;)

Oh God.... I ain't kidding either. Bagged two Big ones this year...... :eek:

13. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

ShopVac. My spider-killing tool of choice. :D

I've been told not to kill all the spiders that I see, as it opens the playing field for funnel-webbers (eliminates their food competition). Pfffft! Like that's gonna' happen. :rolleyes:

The only good spider is a dead spider!

14. melbo

15. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Man I hate spiders... neighbor has bananas... full of big brown hairy buggers...
    I use Raid... but I think they drown rather than die from the chemical.... then I light them up ...

16. melbo

[ROFL] They drown? You use a can per spider?? [ROFL]
    I hate em too but it could be worse I suppose. I could live in Vietnam.

17. melbo

Ahh, Super Colibris. You know that Cheaper than Dirt had a special on those about 5 years ago? $5 per 500 round brick... I bought 60 bricks and still have at least 59 in the deep storage. I always thought they'd be great for quiet game hunting.

18. Quigley_Sharps

hint pull the lead out of a 22lr and push it into a bar of soap, it hurts like a &^%$# when you get shot, we had wars as kids with it but wont penetrate.(y)

19. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Yup.. just about one can per spider (y)

Hate them that much... need to make sure they are dead...

One crawled out on the grass... the Raid killed the grass too [rofllmao]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7