Sponge Bath

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Motomom34, Jul 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Some of you monkeys have quite fancy bathing gadgets when "roughing it". I was reading different articles and one guy started and washed top to bottom. But I thought he was wrong. Washing armpits and stuff half way through seems smelly. I think those should be almost last.

M118LR likes this.
  2. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

Because Nice Matters, armpits and stuff ain't half as bad as Klingon's around Uranus! (Pardon the Star Trek Pun) Since I ain't a canine, top to bottom works best in My Humble Opinion.
    Thigh high in the River, after you break away enough ice to get to the slush, is deep enough for me to get everything clean with a little pot of warm water from the campfire. Any deeper and ......... well some parts ain't gonna get washed.

Motomom34 likes this.
  3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

LOL! Not really a Trekkie but I get it!

Someone told me if you can smell yourself then everyone else smelt you long before that. Do not want to go through the Apocalypse known as the smelly one! :LOL: That is why I think it is important that people know how to take a proper spit bath ahead of time.

M118LR likes this.
  4. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

We wet down with the garden sprayer or if water is really tight, a spray bottle.
    [​IMG]
    Then soak a washcloth with about a 1/2 cup of water and get it really soaped up.

Scrub.

Use a second wet washcloth to get most of the soap mopped up, spray to rinse.

When all we had was our old 71 VW Campmoble, water was always a concern. So, the cheap and easy shower became a way to clean up in the NV desert heat before going to bed.

Of course, being young and nearly newlyweds, camping was a lot more fun with less gear....and less expensive.

chelloveck and Motomom34 like this.
  5. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

Isn't that a sit bath? or even sitz bath?

chelloveck and Motomom34 like this.
  6. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I wish I still had my old aluminum wash basin. It was anodized gold, and almost 24" in diameter. It was about the same size as the old enamel one my folks used in camp, but with a wider rim. It may have been an issue item that I had to turn in, but it beat the heck out of doing double duty with your steel helmet or a canteen cup. Even in garrison overseas we spent lots of time on water rations, and having running water on a one-day-on, three-days-off schedule was pretty routine. M149 "water buffalo's" sat behind the barracks and we had one with potable water, and one non-potable. (inspected and certified by the Navy regularly) The potable water lasted a long time as long as there was beer to be had. The non-potable was used for washing, flushing toilets and cleaning. In the pleasant tropical climate we just washed up on the grass behind the barracks and went out on liberty. A wash basin with a wide rim is great for keeping your wash cloth out of the dirt and if modesty was necessary, which was never out where we were, I guess you could use it as a shield. Better than a canteen cup. :(

Motomom34, Gator 45/70 and chelloveck like this.
  7. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

_20170707_160656[1].JPG

I've been thinking about this topic, and remembered that in all my apartments in Japan there were pallets to keep you off the wet tile. The wood dried quickly and was never slippery. This works in mud and snow too. Shower shoes are nice, and the reflective windshield sun shade can keep the cold, hot, wet ground off your socks while you get dressed. Rigged in a circle it can provide a wee bit of a shower stall for folks that are modest. (They also make a great all-weather work mat when you must get out and get under your automobile.)

Motomom34, Tully Mars and Tempstar like this.
  8. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

We have a pallet made from Cypress in the outdoor shower and sunshades have been used for years to get on the ground here. Great Minds!

Motomom34 and Tully Mars like this.
  1. Ganado
  2. oldman11
  3. Big Ron
  4. hot diggity
  5. DKR
  6. DKR
  7. Motomom34
  8. TinyWildThing
  9. BlackhawkFan
  10. 3M-TA3
  11. 3M-TA3