spotting a hidden handgun

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Witch Doctor 01, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

upload_2017-4-2_15-42-37.

[​IMG]

Tully Mars, Motomom34, Ganado and 5 others like this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Yep, all true for strong side carry. Some, but not all, of those "tells" apply to cross draw, there's far less need for shoving things around.

Tully Mars, Ura-Ki and Seepalaces like this.
  3. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

Have seen many times...people unwittingly do a 'pat-check' as I call it, to verify weapon is in place.

Ura-Ki, Motomom34 and Seepalaces like this.
  4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Carry 4 or 5 hand guns that way you just appear to have fleas.

5. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

That's very apt! When I do need to touch/readjust, which I try hard to keep to a minimum, I always include a scratch for the curious! :) On the other hand, printing is not brandishing! I don't and have never cared if some little priss rat spotted my piece! I use reasonable care and that's as far as I go. People are so unobservant anyway!

Ura-Ki and Seepalaces like this.
  6. Lone Gunman

Lone Gunman Draw Varmint!

That I know of, I haven't been 'made ' in years — years! Not even when two elderly women accosted me in a Walmart checkout line, and started feeling and examining what they realized was an authentic handmade Hawaiian Aloha shirt that I was wearing! (I kept waiting; but, those two 'touchy-feely ' women never did find the enormous G21 that I was carrying ITB @ 4:30 on my strong side!)

Truth be told, I'm (usually) a polite, happy-go-lucky sort of person. I smile a lot, carry my shoulders in a relaxed fashion; and my entire upper torso wardrobe is, at least, one size too large for my body frame. Because I don't act: armed, 'in charge ', or overconfident, people don't expect a deferential, easy smiling person like me to be carrying almost as much equipment as a police officer!

Cross draw holsters? I don't really care for; most of them are way too easy to grab a pistol from. Besides, anything a cross draw can do, an appendix carry holster can do, both smoother and faster. Either holster will work better than average when you're sitting down, too; but appendix (or reverse appendix) carry doesn't require you to reach across your body in order to get at the pistol. The steering wheel, also, won't have a chance to interfere with your draw stroke; and the gun is right there with the butt only a few inches from your grasping hand.

Believe it or not, 'felony carry ' can be ridiculously easy to conceal. Which is, probably, the reason 'Why ' so many gangbangers prefer it. The other thing I hate having to go up against is one of these 'street thugs ' that's wearing an oversized pair of pants with really baggy pockets. The way an actor is dressed is only the first step in protecting yourself from harm. Once a perp's attitude and/or clothing have aroused your suspicions, thereafter, you should do everything possible in order to watch the actor's hands. Whatever else you do, do NOT allow yourself to lose sight of his hands.

7. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Adding an ankle holster or two, and one could be mistaken for a flea bitten break dancer....:rolleyes:

oldman11, Tully Mars, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I use a custom CrossDraw Shoulder Rig, that lives under my SportCoat... have had it for decades, and it has a bottom hitch to my belt... so no bouncing under the SpotCoat... Works slick...

9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I also have a shoulder rig, but I don't usually carry that cannon. So far as other locations for carry goes, bad shoulders might dictate appendix or cross draw vs. hip or SOB carry. Both appendix and cross work especially well sitting or driving, and no adjustments are needed for standing up or sitting down as hip and SOB want. I simply cannot clear leather from a hip holster, and those that try to tell me cross draw is too slow, I say don't bet on it, and they are no more vulnerable to a snatch than the hip. Saying that, I need to clarify that the piece is located muzzle down and back and approximately over the left front pocket. Properly handled, the muzzle covers nothing on my ancient carcass.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    Tully Mars, Sgt Nambu and Ura-Ki like this.
  10. Witch Doctor 01

[​IMG]

11. Witch Doctor 01

[​IMG]

Sgt Nambu and Ura-Ki like this.
  12. Witch Doctor 01

[​IMG]

13. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Cross draw is my normal concealed carry mode, due to the size and weight of the gun, plus, I am actually faster on the draw then just about any other method of carry I have ever tried ( and I have tried a lot!!!) Most days, I open carry in a drop leg holster wild bunch style, but when I do need a concealed carry option, cross draw is my goto. A Shoulder rig does work almost as well, especially with a light coat or jacket, but during the colder season, I gotta go with the cross draw rig!

Yard Dart and Sgt Nambu like this.
  14. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

Too much belly for cross draw, these days! :( When I started to have back pain from 4-5:00 I had to go to a 3:00 carry. I have grown to like it and after much practice I'm about as quick at 3:00 as anywhere else! For full sized pistols I use shoulder rigs! :)

oldman11 and Ura-Ki like this.
  15. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

As much as some people seem to wish otherwise, the days of squaring off in the street at high noon are long past, and didn't actually happen all that much back in the 'ol west. I feel that whatever type of carry works best for a person IS the best for that person. The key is practice. Practice makes smooth, Smooth is fast.. With practice, cross draw is fast-I've seen it firsthand. All depending on what I'm carrying and the time of year, I carry strong side just forward of my hip bone with a slight muzzle forward cant. Extra mags are not only needed(IMHO) for reloading, but help offset the weight of the carry weapon. This is also true with a horizontal carry shoulder rig like the ones I use in the winter. Now that I live on the surface of the sun (Alabama) it is harder for me to use a shoulder holster as I don't have the need for a jacket nearly as often as I did up north. A very popular carry pistol down here is the North American Arms 5 shot revolver in either .22LR or .22Mag. Either will fit into the pocket of a pair of shorts with no issue. A SS mag version is now EDC for both Sass and myself. In her job she isn't always able to be near her purse so this option allows her to have something in her scrub pocket at all times. I have one because she has one..;)

Sgt Nambu and Ura-Ki like this.
  16. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I carry appendix about 80 percent of the time.... I wear loose shirts daily and rarely wear a gun on the hip unless I can wear a suit jacket or a regular coat.

17. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

I meant to add that I use an ITW for belt carry, in town. Out in the woods I tend to carry revolvers or one of my full sized .45's in OTW holsters!

18. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

this is why I recommend before you get your permit (or while you wait for it to arrive), there is no law preventing you from carrying concealed on private property, so at home, etc. you should be getting used to carry before you go out in public.

[any reference to firearms ownership is fictional, from a dream I had]

1. Navyair
  2. AgentPickle
  3. Oddcaliber
  4. 3M-TA3
  5. hank2222
  6. Yard Dart
  7. Oddcaliber
  8. T. Riley
  9. Bandit99
  10. Motomom34
  11. hank2222