Sprains, getting older!

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by Ura-Ki, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I have heard this before. Bananas will help with cramping if it is a potassium issue.

mysterymet likes this.
  2. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

What Uri describes as others noted also sounds to me like a muscle cramp as I have experienced the same thing before. Very painful. I often get those kind of cramps when working hard in the heat and not hydrating enough.
    Prevention is best medicine. Hydrate enough that you need to urinate every 2-3 hours. If urine gets dark in color you are dehydrated. The US Army has a nice chart showing urine colors.

https://usaphcapps.amedd.army.mil/H.../259_259_Urine Color Test_Card 06_02_2015.pdf

I like to eat bananas for potassium and brazil nuts for magnesium and selenium to also help avoid legs cramps.

I sometimes have issues with a muscle spasm, usually in my back, shoulders or lower neck. Big knot that hurts and may prevent certain motions due to pain, like turning your head to one side. While massage can help, I get best relief from interferential electro-stimulation. 20 minutes of that can ofter shut the spasm down cold.

This is not TENS or the electro-stimulation that muscle builders sometimes use. Physical therapists use it a lot. It employs 2 pairs (that is 4 total) of sticky electrodes with one pair on either side of the spasm site and the second pair positioned above and below the spasm. The muscle can to be electrically contracted and released with electrical energy at a frequency of 25-60 hertz to shut down the spasm. However, sending enough electrical energy at that frequency through the skin to contract the muscle is painful. Higher frequency energy of enough strength to do something in the 3000-4000 hertz range may only tingle or be mildly uncomfortable but it is too high of a frequency to stimulate the muscle properly. Using two sets of electrodes with higher frequency energy but with a difference of 20-50 hertz between them gets the energy through the skin then the two electrical signals interfere with each other constructively and destructively and create a pulsing in the muscle at the desired 20-50 hz frequency. Works quite well for spasms.

AT

1. hot diggity
  2. Meat
  3. hank2222
  4. HK_User
  5. The_Prepared
  6. Ura-Ki
  7. Bishop
  8. Witch Doctor 01
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Asia-Off-Grid