Spring 2014 Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by melbo, Feb 15, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

I took my wife the first time and my wife and youngest daughter the second. They loved it. Except the cold rain the first trip, my wife deserted us at camp and went and got a hotel room.

Mike likes this.
  2. Minuteman

The first time I went was the spring '07 shoot. I was getting ready to go and the wife wanted to know why I hadn't asked her to go. I told her she wouldn't like it, just a bunch of gun nut guys camping in a field (she's not a camping person). She said that the only reason I didn't want her to come was because I was afraid she would complain the whole time. I said " Yep, you nailed it." She said if I would let her go she would promise not to complain. I made her "pinky swear". I tried to make it nice for her. Bought a big cabin tent, bed and air mattress, little propane heater. Even a porta potty with a small enclosure so she wouldn't have to trod down to the porta johns in the middle of the night.
    We got camp set up and about 10 that evening the rain started, and the temp dropped. I don't know what it got down to but it was dang cold! We were burning up the propane bottles all night. During the night the wife got up and put on every piece of clothing she had brought. As soon as it got light I was up getting ready to go stoke the campfire. I looked over and she had both sleeping bags, all her clothes she had, and was wrapped up with just her face showing, teeth chattering. She looked at me and said "I'iiimm nononot com,com,complaining." I laughed so hard. I told her "I bet you regret that promise!". I felt sorry for her so took her to town and got her a hotel room. Good memories.

Mike and kellory like this.
  3. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Her real grit showed through when she went back a second year! she's my kinda woman

kellory and Minuteman like this.
  4. Minuteman

Found this while doing a search. I was looking back to see when it was we went. My God, 7 years ago!! I posted this after the Fall '07 shoot. I'll never forget my daughter, about 14 at the time, shooting that BAR from the prone position. She had her hair in a pony tail with it sticking out the back of a baseball cap. Her ponytail was shaking up and down with the recoil of the rifle. I have that on video someplace.

Another great time at the Creek. The weather was great. My daughter loved it. She is my shooting buddy and we had a great time on Sunday shooting the machine guns.

She shot an MP-5 "grease gun", a BAR (from the prone position), and a tri-pod mounted MAG 58. She was the first one to shoot the MAG-58 on the big range at the start of a round of shooting. So all the targets were set and all the explosives were charged.

I forgot my digital camera so didn't get any stills from the shoot. But I got some good video.

The wives compared notes on their gun nut husbands. And baby Emma was having a great time with all the new sights and sounds. And the gunfire didn't faze her at all. She must be used to it with Melbo for a Daddy!

We were the last ones to leave Sunday. We made a side trip and met up with Blackjack for some conversation and fries.

We stopped in St. Louis Monday and spent about 3 hours there. Took a paddle boat ride on the Mississippi river, took a helicopter tour of the city, and then went to the top of the arch and looked around. Pretty cool.
    Got home at 11:30 last night.

I was going to call Monkeyman on the way home but we were tired and wanting to get home. Maybe next time.

Anyone who hasn't gone really needs to try and make it sometime. It is an awesome time. I'm looking forward to April.

Minuteman, Oct 16, 2007

melbo likes this.
  5. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Since I've never been before, what's the avg/expected cost?

6. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Daily admission is +/- $10 per person a day and I think camping is 30-40 per person. The major expense is what you will spend at vendor tables and booths

7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

8. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Nice re-post mm!
    7 years later and Emma has her own Colt M4

It's actually looking like I may not make the spring shoot after all. I should know for certain tomorrow :(

Minuteman likes this.
  9. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I'll tell you the ride in the Huey is well worth the cost.
    I think Visu jr. is still smiling.

10. RightHand

I loved the look on his face almost as much as the look on yours VT. You became a kid again in those few moments

11. VisuTrac

Heck yeah!

Mike likes this.
  12. melbo

Confirmed, I will not be able to attend the April shoot - perhaps October will work better.

13. RightHand

disappointed you won't make April........but we'll always have October

14. melbo

Yes, I forgot that I promised my wife a trip home for Easter. Same general location but too close to swing two trips.
    Maybe a last minute sneak-away is still possible but I don't want anyone to plan around me being present. My son and his friends (the original KCR gang) will all be there. @Seacowboys knows them if he's going

15. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

I might be down for a October flight there as long as I don't draw my big buck and bull tags this year.

16. SemperFiSkye

SemperFiSkye Monkey+

Is part of this event the gun show at the expo center in Louisville in October??? Next to all the mower stuff???

Mike likes this.
  17. Mike

Mike Ol' Army Sergeant Monkey

You're a good husband

18. Minuteman

Not going to make it. Just too much going on to take out ime for the Creek. Maybe in the fall.

Mike likes this.
  19. VisuTrac

Maybe I'll be able to make it to the October shoot.
    Hope all the monkeys that went post pics and vids.

Mike likes this.
  20. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

If i dont draw my elk tag I think I can make it.

Mike likes this.
  1. Seacowboys
  2. Seacowboys
    [media] [media]
    Thread by: Seacowboys, Apr 15, 2013, 9 replies, in forum: General Discussion
  3. Blackjack
  4. melbo
  5. melbo
  6. melbo
  7. melbo
  8. melbo
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7