Sprouting- Using Stored Grain, Nuts, Seeds to Optimize Health

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Ganado, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Whole wheat is rough eating and all the glutton free people will be in for a world of hurt if SHTF and they have to start eating what they have or can find. I think the juicing would work really well for people with special diets. Maybe even could fit into a primal routine.

chelloveck and Ganado like this.
  2. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Indoor Gardens
    Any House can be a Greenhouse Sprouting is probably the easiest form of indoor gardening. You don't need much in the way of equipment or space. A bowl and a screen or strainer is enough to get you started. You can use your homegrown seeds or purchase organic seed. Some common favorites are alfalfa, clover, broccoli, radish, and many kinds of beans and grains.

Trays of micro-greens take sprouts a step further.
    Plant seeds in shallow trays of soil mix and harvest the very small plants by cutting. This will give you greens that are further advanced from the sprout stage, but more quickly than waiting for fully mature plants. grow entire supply of fresh greens in pots sitting in windows
    during the winter. Growing full-size greens indoors in the winter requires some advanced planning and continued vigilance that may be familiar to summertime gardeners. Choose types and varieties that do well with reduced light levels.

The indoor winter garden needs to be sown as early as Labor Day. Succession plantings are made every 2-4 weeks if you expect a continuous supply, (except during November and December when days are too short to get plants growing). Place them into your sunniest windows,keep them well watered,.

chelloveck likes this.
  3. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

chelloveck and Motomom34 like this.
  4. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

BEAN SPROUTS (ewww!)

I've been struggling with what to do with bean sprouts. So this winter I have been experiementing. And there only seems to be 3 ways to use them as a condiment to add to soups and bowls ground into a vegetarian pate and steamed. Anyone else have a good suggestion I would love to hear it.

Pho
    4 pounds beef soup bones (oxe tail bones or knee bones are great for this)
    1 onion, unpeeled and cut in half
    5 slices fresh ginger
    1 tablespoon salt
    2 pods star anise
    2 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
    4 quarts water
    1 (8 ounce) package dried rice noodles
    1 1/2 pounds beef top sirloin, thinly sliced
    1/2 cup chopped cilantro
    1 tablespoon chopped green onion
    1 1/2 cups bean sprouts
    1 bunch Thai basil
    1 lime, cut into 4 wedges
    1/4 cup hoisin sauce (optional)
    1/4 cup chile-garlic sauce (such as Sriracha®) (optional)

Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
    2. Place beef bones on a baking sheet and roast in the preheated oven until browned, about 1 hour.
    3. Place onion on a baking sheet and roast in the preheated oven until blackened and soft, about 45 minutes.
    4. Place bones, onion, ginger, salt, star anise, and fish sauce in a large stockpot and cover with 4 quarts of water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer on low for 6 to 10 hours. Strain the broth into a saucepan and set aside.
    5. Place rice noodles in large bowl filled with room temperature water and allow to soak for 1 hour. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and after the noodles have soaked, place them in the boiling water for 1 minute. Bring stock to a simmer.
    6. Divide noodles among 4 serving bowls; top with sirloin, cilantro, and green onion. Pour hot broth over the top. Stir and let sit until the beef is partially cooked and no longer pink, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve with bean sprouts, Thai basil, lime wedges, hoisin sauce, and chile-garlic sauce on the side.

NOTE: the above recipe is alot simpler than it sounds. The key is the broth. I use a slow cooker for the broth

USING PREPS for this recipe
    you can use boullion cubes instead of making the broth but you do need to add some fat to make the flavor rich. just add a bit of Ghee (when you slow cook butter you get ghee or clarified butter which stores longer than regular butter. when you cook butter long enough on low heat the fat solids drop to the bottom and you can skim off the ghee or clarified butter, or you can use the fat solids) you don't need to cook as long if using boullion cubes.

if you don't have star anise you can use anise liquer or horehound candy (this is a bit sweet but useable)

Rice Noodles, you can substitute and use spagetti or ramen but its not the same dish. Buckwheat noodles are a close second to the rice noodles.

the key to this is to make a warm, rich broth that is filling and comforting on winter day. Pho is traditionally a breakfast food in Vietnam.

Bean sprouts cilantro and basil were the main fresh ingredients in this recipe. One way to use bean sprouts. I'll post more recipes as I have time.

Zimmy, chelloveck and Dunerunner like this.
  5. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Lately I've been having trouble sprouting in my jars, turns out the plastic strainer lids were not letting enough air in the jars.
    So after experimenting i found a couple of good things to use when sprouting in jars
    you can buy these on amazon and they work well, easy to clean, don't rust and you can bleach them if you need too
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KVYSC86/?tag=survivalmonke-20
    [​IMG]

or you can go to the dollar store and get these, these are awesome because the indented screen holds back the grain so it doesn't cover the mouth, thus allowing air into the jar
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QVUZWV0/?tag=survivalmonke-20
    [​IMG]

Zimmy, chelloveck and Motomom34 like this.
  6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

This is a great idea. Those sink screens are really cheap. This could be the key to success, I get frustrated because they kept molding

chelloveck, Zimmy and Ganado like this.
  7. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Rejuvlac vs Ginger Beer
    Which is your favorite?
    [​IMG]

Strictly Speaking Rejuvalac isnt fermented, you sprout the wheat berries then soak in non-chlorinaded water for 2 days and pour off the water. Great for digestion, preventing diareah and constipation, tart lemony taste and works great in guacamole to prevent it from oxidizing.

Ginger Beer, fermented ginger, sugar and lemon juice. the pic below has plain ginger beer and one that i added serano peppers to it during the ferment, which one has more alcohol content?

[​IMG]

I do finish these off so there is no carbon dioxide, i like them flat and once they are flat there is almost no alcohol content

8. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

[​IMG]

these are made from plastic needle point material, and are dishwasher safe

Zimmy, chelloveck and DKR like this.
  9. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

I recycle old pantyhose Nylon works the treat... Use the Mason jar ring to hold in place.

Zimmy, Ganado and chelloveck like this.
  10. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

my newest craving is mung bean sprouts scrambled with an egg for breakfast over sauteed onion slice

11. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@DKR you get enough air flow thru the panty hose? Do you stretch them really tight?

chelloveck and Zimmy like this.
  12. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Quite tight. I have never had a problem with mold or drying out. (Shrug) I may just be cheap...eer, frugal.

chelloveck, Zimmy and Ganado like this.
  13. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

it's a great solution I just was asking if you needed to stretch them alot

chelloveck and Zimmy like this.
  14. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

since I moved into an apartment I cannot sprout microgreens on a consistent basis. Idk if the swings in temp are killing the greens or the fact that I work to many hours and don't have time to spray 3x a day. Still working out a viable automatic option that doesn't take electricity. I have a wicking method started but can't tell if its going to work.

[​IMG]

the tall Folgers jar is my lemon basil trimmed back. It's been growing for 11 months in that can .... I just add water and nutrients, no aeration, except adding water.

chelloveck likes this.
  15. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the 1st picture shows the basil recovering after being trimmed

The 2nd is my new exeriment in self watering. These were started at the same time and the one on the left was started with out a lid with weight. They don't sprout as fast with no weight on them.

The tub on the right was started with another plastic lid and a weight. Something about the pressure and the moisture is important for faster germination.

chelloveck likes this.
  16. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

One of the things I struggle with on micro greens is how to make delicious food out of them.

A friend of mine suggested making sprout slaw. Use any cold slaw recipe and replace the cabbage and carrots, with chopped sprouts or micro-greens.

3 Different slaw dressing recipes
    Ingredients
    Option 1: Mayonnaise dressing
    • 1 cup mayonnaise
    • 1/4 cup white wine or apple cider vinegar
    • 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    Option 2: Buttermilk dressing
    • 1/2 cup buttermilk
    • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    Option 3: Sour cream dressing
    • 1/2 cup sour cream
    • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt

SUBSTITUTES
    Dijon mustard for mayo
    use lemon or lime juice in place of the vinegar
    I also like to add a dash or Tabasco or sriracha sauce for variation
    Leave out the sugar if you don't like it sweet

BROTH SOUP
    Make a good soup base with your favorite broth, carrots, onions, celery ( I do this in a slow cooker in the morning and by evening it's done so I come home to a hot meal)
    Add the sprouts on top, if you sprout sunflower seeds you get a nice sweet noodle like consistency using the sprouts.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    chelloveck likes this.
  17. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Spicy Lentil Sprouts

• 1 Cup green lentils
    • 3 cups water
    • ¼ cup cooked corn
    • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
    • 2 tablespoons olive oil
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • ½ teaspoon cumin
    • ½ teaspoon chili powder
    • ½ teaspoon curry powder
    • ¼ cup finely chopped thyme or another herb you like
    Instructions
    To Sprout Lentils:
    Soak lentils in a large bowl overnight or for 8-10 hours.
    1. Drain and rinse the lentils. Put them back in the bowl and cover with a kitchen towel. Let it sit for 8 hours.
    2. Shake the bowl or give a gentle stir so that each of the lentils get enough air circulation. Let it sit for another 8 hours.
    3. Repeat this for 2-3 days. You will see sprouts growing on the second day and they get longer on the third day.
    4. Keep them refrigerated and use as you need.
    To Assemble Everything:
    1. Combine sprouted lentils and corn in a bowl.
    2. In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, cumin, chili, curry powder and thyme.
    3. Pour it over the sprouted lentils and corn and toss.
    4. Serve it as a salad or use it in sandwiches or soups.

The easy version is to sprout the lentils or mung beans
    add a can of corn
    and use a good curry sauce
    add greens like parsley if you want a bit of color

ANOTHER VERSION
    add panchetta and tomatoes or zucchini

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    Dunerunner, Tully Mars and chelloveck like this.
  18. john316

john316 Monkey+++

I AM GOING TO TRY THIS...ORDER SOME SS SCREENS

ANYBODY ELSE SPROUT

Ganado likes this.
  19. john316

john316 Monkey+++

JUST RECEIVED MY SCREENS..............WAITING ON SEED NOW

NO LOCAL SEEDS.............CAN YOU USE BULK UNTREATED GARDEN SEED

20. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

i use them but i rinse them a couple of times and when i soak them i pour off the water

i have to say walmart has very good pricing for seeds, when you can get them.

True Leaf Market is pretty good, but you have to watch their pricing
    Sprouting Kits & Supplies | Sprouters & Non-GMO, Organic Seeds

Bulk foods has some decent pricing
    Categories - Bulkfoods.com
    I find Amazon is over priced but then i buy seeds in 10lb bags or larger. Better pricing and i only order once a year or every 18 months

SB21 and john316 like this.
  1. JC Refuge
  2. JC Refuge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. JC Refuge
  5. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Dunerunner
  8. RJFab
  9. stg58
  10. duane
  11. duane
  12. Motomom34
  13. TnAndy
  14. JrOrtiz
  15. Ganado
  16. Dunerunner
  17. john316
  18. Ganado