Spyderco Tenacious?

Discussion in 'Blades' started by EDC, Oct 19, 2010.

1. EDC

EDC Monkey+

Looking to purchase (3) relatively inexpensive (under $50) to put into each of my cars and use as an EDC. Anyone have any opinions on these knives?

2. hedger

hedger Monkey+

Spyderco Native

Spyderco is my favorite folding EDC knife vendor. I prefer the Spyderco Native. It feels good in your hand and has a broad enough blade to work for a lot of tasks. They are razor sharp out of the box.

I also like their sharpening system with the triangular ceramic sticks (one set of coarse and one fine).

Sorry, I do not have personal info about your preferred choice.

3. EDC

EDC Monkey+

Thanks Hedger... I'll check out the Native.

4. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I carry a Spyderco Manix as my EDC. The knife in question looks a lot like the Manix in design. It does appear to have a liner lock whereas mine has a lock back.

I have no experience with liner locks from Spyderco. The liners I have used I consider sub-par to lock backs. JMHO. I think you could get heavier use from a Buck 110 Workman. The lock is the single point of failure in a folding knife. If you need to baton some wood, you will appreciate the strongest lock possible.

As another thought, why not go fixed blade for something you plan to leave in a car? Why even bother with a folder unless it's an EDC. Get a Marine Corps MKII and throw it in your trunk. At about $45, it will last your lifetime and likely the lives of your children. I looked at a few today that were still perfectly useful that were made during WWII, Vietnam, and on up. Used ones can be found for a bit less sometimes.

5. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

My edc is an old browning double bladed lockback with a drop point and a skinner blade (31/2' blades)... I've been carrying it and and old swiss army knife (tinker)since the 70's... not high speed ot a thumb opener but good allaround knives....

6. CrufflerJJ

CrufflerJJ Monkey++

The Spyderco Tenacious looks like a nice knife. The steel pocket clip can be repositioned to allow left/right/tip up/tip down carry.

As shown in the Amazon.com photo ( Amazon.com: Spyderco Tenacious G-10 Handle Folding Plain Edge Knife: Sports & Outdoors: Reviews, Prices & more ), the carry mode tip-down allows the user to withdraw the blade from your pocket/waistband and "pinch" the blade between your index finger & thumb. One quick snap of the wrist (possibly while the blade is heading towards your cutting objective), and the handle folds down & locks in place. This makes it very nice for doing quick draw-cuts when you need to cut "something" or open "something" very quickly.

My regular EDC is a Spyderco Endura. Spyderco makes good knives, and I've owned & used them for years.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2015
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7