Squirrel hunting Oregon style

Discussion in 'Turf and Surf Hunting and Fishing' started by Quigley_Sharps, May 25, 2012.

1. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HkxvlT-mhxQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Off Elk season practice.

2. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

Great shots!

3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Do you eat squirrels? I watch duck Dynasty and they eat squirrels all the time. When I think of squirrels, I think tree rat. Then I think rodents then, rats, mouse then I think prairie dog and p. dogs carry the plague and I don't want to eat plague. There wouldn't be much meat on a squirrel but it would be good practice to shoot one then skin and eat it. Our squirrels seem healthy and they empty my bird feeds so they are plump.

4. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Squirrel Stew, Carolina Style

2 squirrels, cleaned, cut into 6 pieces each
    2 c bouillon
    leafy tops of 2 stalks of celery
    1/8 lb salt pork, 1/2" cubes
    2 c fresh lima beans
    2 tbs flour
    2 lg ripe tomatoes, peeled
    1 tsp salt
    1 c fresh corn kernels
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
    2 lg onions, thinly sliced
    1-2 tbs flour
    Fry salt pork until very crisp, then remove pieces from the pan. Dredge squirrel in seasoned flour and sauté in hot fat until brown on all sides. When nearly brown, add onions and cook until soft. Place meat in Dutch oven, together with broth and celery tops. Cover and bake at 350 for 1 hour. Remove celery tops, add lima beans, tomatoes, corn and Worcestershire sauce. Cover and bake until vegetables are tender-about 30 min. Skim off excess fat and thicken gravy with flour and 1/2 c cold water. Serve hot topped with crisp pork cracklings.

Try it you may like it....

kellory and Motomom34 like this.
  5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

6. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Is a snakes belly close to the ground in a wagon rut?

also chipmunk, grub worms, Iguana, ants, crow.... (not all are at the top of my list of eats,,, but uncle Sam made sure that we a little something to eat during survival training...;)

But Squirrel isn't bad at all I prefer mine in the above recipe it more like a Brunswick stew... I also have had it in jambalaya and roasted over a fire wrapped in bacon...

Motomom34 likes this.
  7. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

I have delegated chipmunk/rodent/squirrel hunting to our outdoor cat. Oh it was funny, the other day one of our indoor cats came over to me on my bed and dropped something down, it was a length of natural colored twine tied up with a small bow. I guess she thought it was something else. I let her know what a good cat she was. Sure beats the cat we lost in 2012. In 2004, or was it 2005?...he brought in a freshly killed chipmunk and nudged it into my shoulder on the bed. I don't think he got the reaction he was hoping for...

8. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Squirrel gravy over biscuits is pretty good, as well.,;)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7