standardized on caliber

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by radpug, Apr 24, 2011.

1. irayone

irayone Monkey+

The real question is...What can you hit with???? I have owned and tried lots of guns. 308 I can't hit a thing with it. But with my 357 your dead ! Winchester 12 shot long gun and 357 wheel gun. a back up short barrel 357 and a 357 hat gun. Coonan makes a new 357 auto which I want but of course can't get it in Calif. You can't do it all yourself. You need a team. I plan to pick up a 308 shooter to help me with my long range problems. practice makes perfect.

2. Wolfgang2000

Wolfgang2000 Monkey++

I like pistol caliber carbines. Heck I have 1 or 2 in each of my pistol calibers except 32 ACP.

I like leverolution ammo. It's a great advancement for tube fed weapons.

Just don't make the mistake of thinking that a pistol caliber carbine is as good as a full rifle caliber. IT'S NOT.

If it is just a case of limited funds or "I shoot it best", so be it, but know it's limitations. There are reasons that most if not all SOG units have mostly replaced their pistol caliber sub-guns for intermediate caliber carbines. Things like range and penetration for the same basic size and weight are just some things to consider.

I'm not criticizing your choices, just bring all the issues to light.

dystopia likes this.
  3. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

The best I have been able to do is to get down to 5 rounds. All are common and I really cant do without any of them.

Hand guns are both 9mm Ruger P-89. We own one now and are looking for a second one. Magazines interchange etc.

Remmington 740 and 7400 30-06 semiautomatic rifles. We have three 30-06 rifles and that is the only 30 cal. rifle caliber we have now. Very common here in Michigan.

.22 rimfire we have a Marlin 981T bolt action and two semiautomatic rifles as well remington nylon 66 and Ruger 10-22.

I just got new Stag Arms AR-15 in 5.56/.223 .

we have several 20 gauge shotguns including a pair of 870s.

So we are down to .22, 5.56,30-06,9mm and 20 gauge.

I recently sold our Winchester model 94 in 32 special and a .410 as both of these shoot expensive hard to find ammo. For me standardizing my caliber means using calibers that are all over the place in stock. Walmart carries all of my ammo, Meijers etc. Cost of ammo plays a big part in what we now own. Kingfish

4. craftypoppa

craftypoppa George

I am trying to keep mine to a few different calibers more because I don't have a lot of money to spend on a lot of guns. I have a 38 special revolver,(would like to make it a 357 at some point), a 40 caliber pistol, 12 gauge shot gun, 30-30 lever action rifle, 22 cal rifle and pistol and pump single shot pellet pistol. I have told a buddy of mine who has a lot of different calibers that I want to pretty much say in the calibers I have because of costs and storage. I like to shoot but can't justify buying a lot of different caliber guns just to have. If I had more money to spare might be different but this is whats working for me so far.

5. redhawk

redhawk Monkey++

The 9mm is indeed an EXCELLENT platform. It is relatively cheap to shoot, while providing adequate power in a pistol platform. Compact, Subcompact, and Full Size 9mms are all easy to find, and 9mm revolvers (Taurus 905) can be had as well. In addition, there are many 9mm carbines out there ranging from AR builds to Hi Points and Kel Tecs. I don't think you'll regret building a collection around 9mm, although you'll still want to have at least one long gun in an adequate caliber for hunting/protection.

6. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

If I were starting over, or starting fresh (especially with low funds) I'd get the following;
    .22LR. rifle first, then pistol later.
    9MM Glock 17 and 12 magazines min.
    7.62x39 AK with 12 mags minimum
    .223 Bolt gun for hunting and use of milspec ammo
    .308 Win. Same as above
    12Ga. Mosburg 500 18"bbl bead sight (no need for fancy for the most part) and lots of buckshot and some slugs.

You need plenty of ammo for each caliber, and reloading capability, but reloads can come later.
    You manning the AK and momma doing backup with a 9MM carbine will make a good team most of the time. Premium ammo in 9MM is very effective in either pistol or carbine. If you only want to use hard cast or ball loads then go .45 acp for the pistol and carbine, and expansion isn't needed.

If you have specific questions PM me and I'll be happy to help.

jim

Hispeedal2 likes this.
  7. wags_01

wags_01 Monkey+

This is my plan almost word for word. Depending on my circumstances, I might trade the AK for a .308 semi-auto, and the .223 would be one of my last purchases. I'd also pick up a turkey barrel for the Mossberg/Rem 870.

After all those, I'd pick up a few surplus Mosins for barter or arming allies.

8. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I am on my second Ar-15 now and very glad I went back to this platform for my main defense weapon. I can carry 180 rounds in 6 mags. I am getting American Eagle ball ammo for 30 bucks per 100 so ammo is cheap. We are still looking for a second Ruger P-89 9MM hand gun. I just got a 28 inch barrel for the 870's. I might still get a bolt action 30-06 to shoot reloads as the 740 and 7400's will break the extractors shooting reloads.

I guess Im going to play the cards I have right now. Im pretty comfortable with 5 calibers. KF[gun]

9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

KingFish, You should be able to design a ReLoad that will NOT break the Extractors on Semi-Auto Remington 30-06 Rifles. If it is due to Shell Extraction Issues, due to overPressure, the try using a slower Powder, that will give the same velocity, with lower Pressures, by extending the burn time....

10. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Im sure a good reloader can do it. My father in law does ours and is teaching me. He told me right out factory loads only in the Remingtons. His Browning WILL shoot any loads. But I really want a bolt gun anyway ha ha ha . KF

11. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Calibers 5,56, 5,45, 7.62x39, 7.62N in clones; pistols either 9mm or 45 auto. A variety of CF bolt actions and pumps. Shotguns, pistols revolvers etc and 22rfs.

12. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Pops says hand loads with new brass are fine as long as factory specs are followed. Its used brass that gets him in trouble. They tend to stick in the chamber and extractor breaks trying to pull them out. I have talked to several gun smiths now who have told me the same thing. The extractors are weak and any shell casing that sticks will break it. This is why they say factory only ammo in the 740,742,7400 and even the new 750. KF

13. craneje

craneje Monkey+

IMHO one needs a 22rf, a good pistol caliber, 12 ga, and a good rifle caliber.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7