Stanley Cup NHL Player Protests Visit To White House

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ColtCarbine, Jan 24, 2012.

1. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Tim Thomas declines to attend White House ceremony

Posted by Fluto Shinzawa, Globe Staff January 23, 2012 02:48 PM
    WASHINGTON -- Tim Thomas, one of two Americans on the roster, chose not to attend today's ceremony at the White House, according to GM Peter Chiarelli.

"We're like a family. We have our issues," Chiarelli answered when asked if Thomas's decision overshadowed the visit. "You deal with them, move on, and try and support everyone. It may or may not. If it does, I hope it doesn't. The guys seemed to enjoy it. I enjoyed it."

UPDATE: Thomas has issued the following statement:

"I believe the Federal government has grown out of control, threatening the Rights, Liberties, and Property of the People. This is being done at the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial level. This is in direct opposition to the Constitution and the Founding Fathers vision for the Federal government. Because I believe this, today I exercised my right as a Free Citizen, and did not visit the White House. This was not about politics or party, as in my opinion both parties are responsible for the situation we are in as a country. This was about a choice I had to make as an INDIVIDUAL."

Shortly after Thomas released his statement, Bruins president Cam Neely issued his own.

"As an organization we were honored by President Obama's invitation to the White House," Neely said. "It was a great day and a perfect way to cap our team's achievement from last season. It was a day that none of us will soon forget. We are disappointed that Tim chose not to join us, and his views certainly do not reflect those of the Jacobs family or the Bruins organization."

All other players were in attendance. Chiarelli said attendance today was not mandatory. Steven Kampfer is the other American player from last year's roster.

"I can require someone to attend a team event. If they don't, I can suspend him," Chiarelli said. "I'm not suspending Tim. Whatever his position is, it isn't reflective of the Boston Bruins nor my own. But I'm not suspending him."

Mark Recchi, Tomas Kaberle, and Shane Hnidy attended the event. First-year Bruins Joe Corvo and Benoit Pouliot did not participate in the East Room ceremony.

jungatheart likes this.
  2. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Ice hockey star snubs White House visit

<cite>January 24, 2012 - 5:14PM</cite>

WASHINGTON: Tim Thomas, one of only two Americans who played with last season’s National Hockey League champion Boston Bruins, did not attend a White House ceremony on Monday honouring the team’s achievement.

Goaltender Thomas insisted his decision to snub the ceremony with US President Barack Obama, a Democrat, was not a partisan gesture in favour of the opposing Republican party, but a decision based on his belief that the US government has too much influence on American individuals’ lives.

‘‘I believe the federal government has grown out of control, threatening the rights, liberties and property of the people,’
    ’ Thomas said in a statement posted on NHL.com.

<small>Advertisement: Story continues below</small>
    art-353-tim_thomas-200x0.

A Republican ... Tim Thomas is the star goaltender for the Boston Bruins. Photo: Getty Images

He added that in his opinion, not just the president but the legislature and courts are at fault.

‘‘Because I believe this, today I exercised my right as a free citizen, and did not visit the White House,’’
    Thomas said.

‘‘This was not about politics or party, as in my opinion both parties are responsible for the situation we are in as a country. This was about a choice I had to make as an INDIVIDUAL.’’

Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli said the team wouldn’t take any punitive action against Thomas.

‘‘We’re like a family. We have our issues,’’ Chiarelli told the Boston Globe.
    ‘‘You deal with them, move on and try and support everyone.

‘‘I can require someone to attend a team event. If they don’t, I can suspend him. I’m not suspending Tim. Whatever his position is, it isn’t reflective of the Boston Bruins nor my own. But I’m not suspending him.’’

Thomas broke the NHL single-season save percentage record last season in leading the Bruins to their first Stanley Cup in 39 years, winning the Conn Smythe Trophy as the NHL playoff Most Valuable Player in the process.
    Thomas, 36, went 16-9 in the playoffs with a 1.98 goals-against average. The Bruins defeated Vancouver four games to three in the best-of-seven final.

3. TheEconomist

TheEconomist Creighton Bluejay

Phenominal player and phenominal human being of character. Tim Thomas has always exemplified what a leader and person on concious should be. His teamates believe in him and followed him into every battle at his side. This will not effect the team, in fact, it will make them respect him even more.

4. jungatheart

jungatheart Beginner's Mind

how can he play hockey with balls that big?

He's right, a person has to stand up for what he believes in otherwise he doesn't really believe in it.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7