Second Amendment State/LEO response to federal gun ban threat

Discussion in 'Bill of Rights' started by CATO, Jan 10, 2013.

1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I just put in a call to my local sheriff's office. Got the answering service, and the direct line for Monday's call. I will see if I can get an answer from my Sheriff. Any specific question I should ask him?

2. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

Well, since the sheriff's authority is based on his/her elected status, it would appear that the state AG is probably the best you folks can manage...and all state governments are pretty much coopted by the feds. Fortunately, you also supposedly (I've never been there so cannot speak authoritatively) have the most independent of populaces...(not to mention plenty of space to bury the bodies...)

BTPost and CATO like this.
  3. Jaybird

Jaybird Monkey+++

Noticed in the list some counties were listed two and three times.

My sheriff has refused to state a position. Not sure how he will respond, but he is going to stay out of the limelight by keeping his mouth shut. I know several of his deputies will have a hard time enforcing such a law.

4. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

My guess is, the ones that don't say anything get a lot of money through fed grants via DOJ, etc. Whores.

The other alternative is that they truly don't want citizens having arms and could care less about the Constitution or are just in it for the power.

Just my opinion, but, by refusing to state a position, he IS taking a position. Voters 'aint stupid...mostly.

sgt peppersass likes this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

So next time they come up for election, spend some of YOUR Money, to get a Sheriff Elected, that campaigns on that Platform.... make it THE ISSUE....

6. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

See post #12: Leadership is taking a stand.

395514_586935997987983_1399414051_n.
    395514_586935997987983_1399414051_n.

STANGF150 and ditch witch like this.
  7. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Preserving the Second Amendment – An Open Letter From Ron Barrett of Barrett Firearms Manufacturing

This article appeared on New York City Guns. Those Americans are now facing the most draconian firearms laws in our nation. Some will initially lack empathy for them. After all, they live in a “Blue” state don’t they? However, to steal an appropriate phrase from the Founders, “we must stand together or we will surely hang separately.” When restrictive laws are enacted in one area, it’s a boost to the anti-2A crowd giving them momentum on the national stage. We must stop their momentum. Wide, sweeping gun bans are generally easy to stop, it’s the death by a thousand cuts approach that Ron Barrett talks about here, that is harder to resist. One thing that I picked up from this letter, is the automatic knife argument. Consider using it in your discussions on the subject. Let your legislators know how you feel. Reach out to those on the fence and engage them in a positive way.
    20130121-091508.
    In the never-ending battle to destroy our constitution, more “big lie” propaganda is being dumped on our elected officials. The rhetoric given forth by the Violence Policy Center (VPC) so easily deceived the legislators of California, resulting in the banning of fifty caliber rifles because they are powerful and their bullets punch holes when they strike. Even single shot .50 cal rifles were banned. It’s hard to believe we live in such a dark time that someone has actually banned a single shot rifle. But as you will see, this is the cleverest of all gun bans, and the end goal is civilian disarmament, the confiscation of your tools of liberty, your rifles.

What lies before us is the continuation of the misinformation campaign, trying to coax yet another state to infringe upon the U.S. Constitution as California did. The anti-freedom/anti-gun movement has discovered how transparent they appear when they propose sweeping gun bans and now are successful by biting off a little at a time. Ever so small, many politicians are trading off your rights without you recognizing their violations.

First we had the “Saturday Night Special” which was all affordable handguns, then “sniper rifles” which were any scoped deer rifles. Those were obvious, too big a scam to go unnoticed, but with the creation and demonization of the term “assault weapon,” the Clinton’s Crime bill produced a wasted 10-year setback on your freedoms and safe gun design. Now comes another scam. This time they are shocked to discover that rifles are “accurate and powerful.”

This is the same bull the officials in the 1950?s fell for when they banned the self-unfolding knife. First the knife was demonized by giving it an evil name, “switchblade,” then we (the trusting public) were told that the problem of gang violence was solved with its banning. How ridiculous. It’s surprising they didn’t ban the leather jacket. In reality, gang violence was and is a serious social problem, but it was not related to manually unfolding verses self-unfolding knives. The elected officials voting to ban an object like a knife proved themselves unwilling or uncaring to understand the problem, and thus, incapable of any real solutions.

The handful of people that make up the VPC are solely responsible for the big lie on .50?s, claiming fantastic destruction capabilities. They manipulate fear by claiming terrorists will use these rifles on targets of our infrastructure. “They will shut down our airports in flames” they claim. VPC’s Tom Diaz refers to them as “super guns” lying to his dupable group of politicians, concealing the facts that there are many rifle cartridges that are comparable in performance (those will be added to the list in phase two). He is boldly telling these officials (and all who will listen) that the risk of terrorist attacks on these targets will be solved with the banning of powerful rifles, in this case, the .50 caliber rifle. In reality, terrorism is complex and will be defeated with improved intelligence. In this instance, the officials voting to ban an inanimate object like a rifle prove themselves to be ignorant of the problem of terrorism and are wasting time and resources.

You must understand the brilliance of this dangerous back door deception. Your politicians are being told that the fifty is a highly destructive cartridge that can destroy airplanes, fuel transport trucks and depot storages of fuel. They show videos like the one on 60 Minutes showing a 1/2 inch plate of steel being pierced by a .50 cal round while stopping a .308 caliber. This is all to confuse the people, those with little exposure to firearms; their impression concludes that the .50 punches holes in sensitive targets where other rifles cannot. Had they shot actual aluminum that is used on airplane construction, or aluminum or steel used in actual transport or tank construction, both the .50 and the .308 will pierce along with most all centerfire cartridges. But this, they must keep secret.

First, with the confusion of massive, (although incorrect) technical data and the hammering of urgency, the VPC demands a ban or strict regulations on rifles that chamber a cartridge that has the ability to penetrate targets. Sound ridiculous? It is.
    VPC’s Tom Diaz appears often on TV with maps of Washington, DC, irresponsibly instructing where to position one’s self to illegally fire on vulnerable important targets of our government, promising these specific targets will be safe when .50?s are banned. He pressures politicians to act quickly on this URGENT legislation needed to make these terrorist targets safe, hoping they will act before the VPC lies are discovered.

Now slow down. A ban on a rifle because the cartridge it shoots penetrates targets? By the legislation naming and defining the targets that are damageable by rifle fire, and in this case, .50 cal. rifle fire, they create a new class of rifles. This new class is not defined by such foolishness as detachable magazines, flash hiders, or pistol grips. Instead, the test is; does it fire a bullet that punches a hole, and can the hole result in damage to specified and named targets? If so, the law-abiding citizen shouldn’t be allowed to have this, so they must ban this class of rifle before they can be misused. This is the very thing California has just passed!

“Now, we are only talking about those powerful .50 cals, right? It’s such a small class, no one will mind or even notice.” That’s what the VPC’s lies have lead you to believe. No, remember they are banning rifles because specific targets named in our infrastructure are susceptible to damage. Now tell me, what centerfire rifle cartridge won’t punch holes in those targets? What centerfire rifle cartridge is not powerful? Not many or not any? So, in order to comply with the spirit and intent of the law, the Attorney General or State Secretary must add those cartridges to the banned list. The big lie is exposed. They aren’t just talking about .50?s. They’re after your hunting rifles, centerfire target rifles-just about any rifle you own.

Unlike California, we cannot allow any of our local, state, or federal officials to be deceived with any of this “big lie” gun control propaganda. The U.S. has every gun law that could possibly be needed. Virtually every real world scenario of firearm abuse is already covered in some law that is currently on the books.

Many of you have inquired as to the outcome of the letter I wrote to Police Chief Bratten of the LAPD. Unfortunately, the chief’s position did not change. He continued to use his officers in the same deceptive practices formerly utilized with the city council. These few officers testifying in Sacramento ultimately contributed to the unconstitutional AB50 law being passed. It saddened me to have to tell members of the LAPD SWAT team that they would have to send someone for their rifle, because I refused to assist anyone or any organization that is in violation of the United States Constitution. In turn, the department arranged to pick up their un-serviced rifle.

Barrett cannot legally sell any of its products to lawbreakers. Therefore, since California’s passing of AB50, the state is not in compliance with the US Constitution’s 2nd and 14th Amendments, and we will not sell nor service any of our products to any government agency of the State of California. [winkthumb]

I appreciate all the phone calls and e-mails from LAPD officers and civilians during that time, encouraging and supporting our actions. We shall see if other firearms companies will follow this path. I know many are corporately owned and feel like they are unable to risk the life of their company for the liberties of our nation, but if we lose our Republic, our freedom, what good is any of it? I am in the proud and fortunate position that many of our forefathers were in when they risked all for our liberties.

“Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!” -Patrick Henry

This “ban large bore” insanity failed in Washington years ago, but that didn’t discourage the VPC. Now it’s resurfacing in city council meetings, in individual states, and it’s being reintroduced in Washington. NRA-ILA Executive Director, Chris Cox, once told me “These (anti-freedom, anti-gun) guys never go away, and they never quit.” -->related post

I’ve received thousands of e-mails and letters from you offering encouragement and support. Our Republic, our liberty, needs and demands your support. You must take action to guard your rights. First, find your State Senator and State Representative. Tell them not to fall for this scam. This lie depends on the elected official being naive about firearms and their capabilities. Stand ready to carry this same message to your U.S. Senator and Representatives. Know all of your elected officials’ positions on gun issues. DO NOT ELECT ANY ANTI-GUN PERSON TO ANY POSITION!

Position yourself with me in the battles that we must fight. You need to join the NRA, the Fifty Caliber Shooters’ Association, and the NSSF in order to stay informed. These people have been with me in the trenches, fighting for every inch of the liberty you enjoy.

Today we draw a line; there will be no more nibbling at our freedom. Today you stand idle no longer. Today you do something to save our country!

Ronnie Barrett
    Owner and CEO Barrett Firearms Manufacturing, Inc
    20130121-091508.

kellory, Brokor, oldawg and 1 other person like this.
  8. Quadfather

Quadfather Monkey

I'm in N.J. I doubt they will do this. I guess I may have to move over this if it gets as big as it is looking.

9. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Utah sheriffs warn Obama of deadly war over guns | WashingtonExaminer.com

In the most strident warning over gun control to President Obama yet, the Utah Sheriffs' Association is pledging to go to war over any administration plan to take guns away, even if it means losing their lives.
    Calling the Second Amendment a sacred right of citizens to protect themselves from "tyrannical subjugation," the association state elected sheriffs said in a new letter, "we are prepared to trade our lives for the preservation of its traditional interpretation."
    Theirs is the first meaningful proof that some in law enforcement and the military are preparing to fight federal forces if the president wins his goal of sweeping gun control.
    In a direct warning to Obama, the FBI and other agencies, the sheriffs wrote: "Make no mistake, as the duly-elected sheriffs our our respective counties, we will enforce the rights guaranteed to our citizens by the Constitution. No federal official will be permitted to descend upon our constituents and take from them what the Bill of Rights--in particular Amendment II--has given them."
    While he wants an assault weapons ban and limits on ammo magazines, the president has not yet suggested he wants to confiscate guns.
    The association revealed their concerns in a letter to the president just made public. It was sent on January 17. It opens by decrying the recent shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.
    But the group argued that guns are simply "instruments," and that they are needed by law-abiding citizens to sometimes subdue killers. "The citizenry must continue its ability to keep and bear arms, including arms that adequately protect them from all types of illegality," said the letter.
    Several groups have argued that assault weapons and high-capacity magazines are needed for self defense.
    The association also called on Obama to push his efforts through Congress, not executive orders with no debate. "Please remember that the Founders of this great nation created the Constitution, and its accompanying Bill of Rights, an effort to protect citizens from all forms of tyrannical subjugation."

tulianr likes this.
  10. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Not seeing my county sheriff on there.... can't say I'm surprised with that one.

The original list can be found here, and it's more extensive, but I'm rather disappointed to see so few from Texas on there... one is on there twice. Of course, for all anyone knows a WHOLE lot more have sent in letters and just didn't say anything about it.

County Sheriff's Honor Roll - Constitution Club USA

oldawg likes this.
  11. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Utah, 28 of the state's 29 county Sheriffs
    New Mexico, 30 of the state's 33 county Sheriffs

NICE! [winkthumb]

ditch witch likes this.
  12. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Mormons have dealt with this kind of Federal BS before... And they take it seriously.... It is engrained into their Culture, and they will NEVER be bullied into giving up their Weapons, EVER AGAIN. Believe "Me" when I tell you, they can muster a very LARGE Militia in a matter of HOURS, Armed if need be, but ready to respond to ANY Emergency, or Disaster, including the Required leadership, and coordination. Just look how they take care of their own, in times of need, after Any Emergency or Disaster. The trucks are rolling from SLC, Within an Hour, of the First Call for Aid. They ARE the ORIGINAL Prep'ers.... .....

oldawg and Mountainman like this.
  13. Akheloce

Akheloce Monkey++

Wish I could get my county sheriff on board :(

14. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

North Texas - Collin Co. says not enforcing unconstitutional laws.

Collin County Sheriff Won't Enforce Gun Laws That He Says Violate Constitution | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth
    By Kevin Cokely| Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 | Updated 8:07 AM CST

Collin County Sheriff Won't Enforce Gun Laws That He Says Violate Constitution

Sheriff says in a statement he, nor deputies, will enforce laws that violate the constitution

Collin County Sheriff Terry Box says he, nor his deputies, will enforce unconstitutional gun laws put in place by whom he calls misguided politicians.

In the statement, Box said the following:

The longtime sheriff posted the statement on his personal Facebook page over the weekend after he said he was asked by hundreds of people urging him to do it.

Box's statement was posted just days after President Barack Obama signed a series of executive orders intended to reduce gun violence.

In a phone conversation with NBC 5 Monday, Box explained further:

"I think anytime we have a national tragedy that lawmakers in Washington and sometimes in Austin try to, what I call, a knee-jerk reaction on trying to make the public feel safe and try to create new laws. There is plenty of laws on the book that are being enforced, I hope we can prevent these tragedies."

The sheriff said nearly 200 people have commented on his Facebook page since posting the statement and that all but a few of them support his message.

15. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Miz-oor-ah jumping in

Missouri Sheriffs Pledge To Not Enforce Obama’s Gun Control Laws « CBS St. Louis

Missouri Sheriffs Pledge To Not Enforce Obama’s Gun Control Laws

January 21, 2013 3:59 PM

JOHNSON COUNTY, Mo (KMOX) – As President Barack Obama continues to push gun control proposals in Washington D.C., Sheriff Charles M. Heiss, R-Johnson County is asking fellow law enforcers to sign and send this letter to the president.
    The letter expresses concern with the Obama administration and the president’s gun control laws he laid out before Congress last week.
    “It appears to me and many Americans that there is a genuine desire on the part of your administration to restrict the Second Amendment rights of law abiding American citizens in the interest of curbing gun violence in our nation,” Heiss wrote. “Any attempt to restrict these Second Amendment rights through executive order is unconstitutional and tantamount to an all-out assault on the United States Constitution.”
    In the letter Heiss tells the president that he has a duty to protect his constituents from incidents of crime, and has the responsibility to protect and preserve their rights and liberties.
    Newly elected Sheriff Michael Dixon, R-Osage County is one of about a dozen sheriffs in Missouri to have signed and sent Heiss’ letter.
    “On the same day the President is taking his oath to uphold the Constitution, he continues to attack our 2nd Amendment rights,” Dixon said. “As Osage County Sheriff, I also took an Oath to the Constitution; but unlike Obama, I intend to uphold mine.”
    Dixon also announced his support of Missouri house bill (HB 170). The bill, introduced last week, would make criminals of any law enforcement official, local, state or federal, who tried to enforce any of President Obama’s gun control initiatives, whether executive orders or passed by Congress.
    “President Obama should quit his attempts to take guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens and instead focus on stopping the criminals that will get them no matter what. It is imperative we strengthen the penalty for criminals who use weapons in the commission of a crime or to cause bodily harm.”
    Dixon said his office will not enforce any gun control proposals that Obama passes if they violate the Constitution and points to gun control efforts and crime statistics as proof gun bans do not work.
    “The President comes from Chicago, the city with the strictest gun laws and worst gun violence in the country. It has been proven time and time again that taking guns from law abiding citizens only emboldens thugs, thieves, and rapists, not stop them from committing crimes,” Dixon said.

16. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Meanwhile, in Illinois . . . .

(Photo: Those in the audience at the organizational meeting for a grassroots group for Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence.)

It was a bad Sunday for sponsors of an meeting to create a grassroots chapter of the Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence at the Glenview, IL Police Station Auditorium failed miserably as supporters of the Constitution and civil rights took part in the event.

In the end, unsubstantiated assertions by the gun control advocates were challenged by a boisterous audience.

The local newspaper had this to say:

Gun Ownership Advocates Intentionally Pack Panel(Glenview Patch) – Gun ownership advocates intentionally packed Sunday’s gun control panel by the New Trier Democrats, as pro-gun advocates — who were encouraged to come from across the state in a mass email from the Illinois State Rifle Association (ISRA) — argued and yelled at panelists throughout the program.

“Remember, this is our Lexington, this is our Concord,” the email read. “Be prepared to teach the gun controllers a lesson in liberty.”

The email also encouraged attendees to arrive between an hour and half an hour early, to “ensure that there are more of OUR people there than THEIR people,” according to the email. That resulted in venue at the Glenview Police Station auditorium filling up, with many would-be attendees turned away at the door.

The majority of the crowd — around 2/3 — were wearing NRA and ISRA paraphernalia, and holding American flags and signs, such as “Shall not be infringed” and “Pro-second amendment.”

While all of the speakers faced outrage and yelling from the crowd — with many being called a “liar” or “loser” as they spoke — none seemed to anger the crowd as much as Lee Goodman, of the Stop Concealed Carry Coalition.

Goodman, who was booed as he came to the podium, started out on the wrong foot with the audience, commenting, “[The Illinois State Rifle Association] email said to dress nicely and be polite — and I’d like to say that you’re all dressed nicely.”

But the boots on the ground told a more interesting story of what happened. Steven Zahareas posted the following on ISRA’s Facebook page:

[Editor: With some minor editing for readability.]

I was the first one there at the meeting at 11:58am.

The Glenview police officer that I spoke to showed me into the room and he supported us.

When their people started showing up they said that the two front rows were reserved, I said that there was no reserved seating. The second time they brought J. Jjenkins over and she asked me to move saying that the elderly were going to sit there and I said, “we would see how many elderly showed up”.

The third time they came up and asked me to move I replied, “My name is not Rosa Parks and I am not going to the back of the bus.” I had saved four other seats up front for us and held firm. I saw it for what it was, to get their people up front and push ours out.

The moderator who wanted to start the meeting said, “Let’s start the meeting” and tried to start the meeting and someone from our side said, “Let’s start the meeting with the Pledge of Allegiance” and we did.

I was in the front row and I saw for myself that the moderator rolled her eyes and not one of the anti-freedom, anti-Constitutionalists stood up for the Pledge.

Hey, who is surprised?

The man Jenkins could not, or would not, support any of his claims. He went so far as to say that violent crime in IL is down and when a crowd member on our side questioned him about the results Jenkins admitted that the City of Chicago was left out of the study and statistics.

Jenkins even tried to lull and appease the crowd by saying I am one of you as he pulled out a FOID card (remember Blago also had a FOID card…).

I asked him about the FBI UCR (Uniform Crime Report) that has the breakdown of murders by weapon. One person on the panel said he would not talk about it and would not answer that question, obviously because he knew the FBI UCR did not substantiate his claims. Jenkins compared us to Nazis and made the statement that NRA members are the ones who committed the mass shootings.

Jenkins made mention of the Civil Rights movement and I yelled out the Second Amendment is a Civil Right.

Lee Goodman started his little speech by insulting law-abiding gun owners. When he was reading his piece about the babies I yelled out “What about my babies?” “Why are you trying to take away my ability to protect my babies?”

Near the end of his involvement of the forum in the Q&A, he stated that the Second Amendment has no importance today. Then a Veteran stood up and stated that he fought for Goodman’s right to say what he was saying but asked him if he would support the same restrictions on the First Amendment. No answer from Goodman.

We need to meet them on every front and call them out on their lies. It was a meeting where we locked them out of their own meeting. No quarter! The truth shall set you free.

Their plan is to divide us and consume a piece of the pie at a time until there is nothing left but crumbs. For those of you who were first timers to see how the opposition works now you know the ridiculousness we are up against, recruit another gun owner to get involved in the ISRA, NRA, Gun Owners of America, Jews for the Preservation of Gun Ownership, or any other true gun rights organization. If you are a gun owner and you are not speaking up YOU are part of the problem.

17. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

THIS
    THIS is how you fight them. Not with pointless and completely ignored petitions, not with rallies of like minded people agreeing they're all right while the media just lies and claims only a handful showed up to (tho those need to keep happening as well). You go to THEIR rallies and you pack the house. You stay polite and on point with pertinent facts you can back up and they can't back down.

18. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

Drown then in facts and let them choke on their own words !

Bravo to the ISRA !

ditch witch likes this.
  19. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

It seems that one of the most corrupt Congressmen to ever walk the Capitol Bldg. thinks the problem with guns resides in the South.

That would be correct . . . we have many. (Que Hank Jr.'s 'Country Boy Can Survive about now).

This whole thing is quite reminiscent of the Nullification Crisis.

(CNSNews.com) - Rep. Charlie Rangel (D-N.Y.), speaking on “MSNBC Live” on Jan. 16 said that “some of the southern areas have cultures that we have to overcome” when it comes to gun control.
    Rangel was asked by anchor Thomas Roberts whether new gun control measures passed in New York State should serve as models for other states:
    “If you’re proud of what New York has done, obviously there is not going to be any perfect policy or perfect law that everybody is going to agree on from both sides saying that this is key perfection but do you think that New York, and what has been done in this state, could be used as a role model for other states that would like to enact something of New York’s model?”
    Rangel responded by saying: “Well I hope so. New York is a little different and more progressive in a lot of areas than some other states and some of the southern areas have cultures that we have to overcome.”
    He added: “But we do have a model set of what Republicans and Democrats, Conservatives and Liberals have come together and put the party labels behind them and come forward with something that says ‘Hey, we may disagree, but one thing is clear that we have to do something' and that’s exactly what they have done.’”
    Last week, New York State passed stricter gun control measures in response to the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting on Dec. 14. The new law calls for an expanded assault weapons ban, and a new registration of already owned semi-automatic weapons.
    The new law also calls for a limit of seven rounds on magazine clips and for mental health and law enforcement officials to be informed when it is believed that a patient is likely to be a danger to themselves or others.
    The bill passed the New York State Senate by a vote of 43-18 and the Assembly by a vote of 104-43. Governor Andrew Cuomo signed the bill into law on Jan 15.

Where's @Alpha Dog dog these days--I'm sure he would think this is real funny.

20. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Collin County, TX Sheriff quoted from above:
    Poor choice of words. Great effort though.

ghrit and CATO like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7