Staying Put

Discussion in 'Survival Topic of the Month' started by saki monkey, Mar 14, 2021.

1. saki monkey

saki monkey Monkey

Been trying to figure out how to start a thread. Not, obviously, very savvy to these forums.. We have ben wanting to go to Montana and have looked at N. Idaho for a number of years. Just wife and I. We are 50 miles out of Portland but in the heavy timber with live water, acreage, outbuildings, shop and luxury home. Our biggest beef with Oregon is amazingly stupid, in my opinion, politicians. Both of us were born here and our families have been here a long time. In my case over 150 years. I have now become a bit long in the tooth as they say but can still do stuff. I have finally realized that I am most likely staying put and it is long overdue. Western Oregon is full of people who I will never agree with politically and there are plenty of a-holes.
    I'm wondering if there are others out there who have come to the same realization no matter where they are and have decided to stick. I fear the politics may come to the other areas in time even if one moves. I have lived in other parts of the country and do appreciate the fact that we have no poisonous snakes, mosquitos, tornados, hurricanes and the like.
    On the negative side, we have probably not had a fair election in 50 years and the cities at least, are full of people of moronic ideals and mindsets. I am wondering if others have come to this realization and if, like me it has brought a more relaxing viewpoint. Best to all you monks and happy spring.

jim2, STGThndr, 3M-TA3 and 6 others like this.
  2. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I am just to your North and WA is just as stupid.
    My wife wants to move, maybe back to my home state of Montana, or even to TX or FL.
    I am still in my prime earning years and have stuck here to earn as much as I can for now.
    Any relocation will probably see some decline in income, and that is a primer for me to hold for now.
    But as many have said here on the forum... time is ticking and one should move and establish roots before SHTF!!!

jim2, GOG, Tully Mars and 3 others like this.
  3. saki monkey

saki monkey Monkey

Hi YD; Thanks for reply. If you are going to go I would sure suggest Montana over Tx. and Fla. You will hate the humidity in both. I'm really beginning to think if you are established where you are at and are not in the big cities it's all good. Best of luck to you and I envy your relative youth!

jim2, Merkun and Yard Dart like this.
  4. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I lived in the south for many of my Army years... hate the humidity... yep
    I turn 53 in the next two weeks... I still think I am 21, but there is that.

jim2, GOG and Tully Mars like this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

There is always Alaska.... Weather in Southeast Alaska is the same as Seattle only 10F colder... still have land available, but the living isn’t cheap... If you are outside a City, the building codes are very minimal, but the costs to transport are higher...

jim2, Alanaana and Rocky Road Lerp like this.
  6. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

@saki monkey
    Im just north of Yard dart in Canada Vancouver island , rural life .. Just need to do things for you and quietly.
    Sloth

jim2 and Yard Dart like this.
  7. duane

duane Monkey+++

Am to old to move, have a few good friends left, and every year this area, Southern New Hampshire, gets to every more become a northern attachment to Mass. Reached the point of staying as gray as possible, trying to work as little as possible in the system, and passing time until I die. In this area the minorities and the "poor" dominate things and there is no real hope of a long term solution. The collapse when it does occur is going to be brutal, even now the left and the "gangs" dominate and everyone else has to basically go along with them.

jim2 likes this.
  8. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Born and I raised in OryGun, family goes back 4 generations, and we were planning to stay in Or. After I retired from the Air Force, but one year worth of the nasty politics and the stupidity that abounds and we pulled up stakes and moved to the high mountains of Colorado! Best move ever, till the politics from Boulder and Denver crept south, and now, it's almost as bad as Or. Sad too, it's super beautiful up here, nice and quiet, and the neighbors are like family, and even a trip to the nearest town is like a visit with old friends!

I would say, moving now is a waste of time and expenses, where ever you were going is already getting as bad as where you were leaving, so it's too late now! Unless your stuck in the urban jungles or even suburbia, ( where ANY move is going to be better in the long run) I say stay put and build what you can, and can get away with!

crowdaddy, jim2, DKR and 7 others like this.
  9. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I was born in Tennessee, lived in the river bottoms and the mountains, moved to Florida and a shanty-boat. Spent most of my time in Central America, South America, and the Caribbean and now am homeless in south Alabama. I am going to join a gang so I can learn Ebonics and live in a crib. I have stopped caring about anything so it is not advisable to mess with me, I'll steal your rims and spend it on crack. I've spent most of my life giving, now I shall take some of it back. Can't wait for the next riot, I need some new shoes and a plasma tv.

jim2, crowdaddy, duane and 12 others like this.
  10. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I have toyed with moving but reality hit's me in the face and I realize I don't have the energy to move.

jim2, STGThndr, eb in oregon and 2 others like this.
  11. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

I am pretty content where I am.
    I live in a state that is very republican. Super majorities in both chambers of the statehouse and R in gov mansion. The state voted overwhelmingly for DJT both times and enough folks in the rural and modest size towns to well offset the couple big college towns and a couple big cities to keep it that way a while.
    We are in the country but there are a fair number of people around. 7 miles to town (20k) with big box, auto parts, farm stores, modest size hospital, etc. 30 miles to larger town (50k) with lot more big box, chains, club store, etc.
    Live on a farm, 100 acres tillable, 45 ac. woods/timber, several more grass, etc. have a few fruit trees, plenty of maple plus sugaring equipment, couple hives, nice shop (machine tools, metal fabrication and welding, wood). House is nice. Would be better if a bit further out and further off the road and more defensible but can’t have it all.
    Plan to live here until I die if possible. That is a good feeling as it does change our perspective and decisions when doing repairs and upgrades to the place.

jim2, Tully Mars, STGThndr and 6 others like this.
  12. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Lifelong Floridian here. I'll stay here til I die. We learn to live with the humidity, and hurricanes. The good outweighs the bad.

jim2 likes this.
  13. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

We have our eyes on 80ac farm 45 minutes from work. Hopefully we will purchase it this year.

jim2, Yard Dart, GOG and 4 others like this.
  14. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

I had traveled around the country and have lived in various areas as well. I have found where I am supposed to be right here in north Idaho. Good resources, good people and mild climate (for living up north) and a pretty decent political climate if we can keep the commi fornia transplants from screwing it up.

jim2, duane, GOG and 2 others like this.
  15. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

And I ( a native Californian) was thinking about moving to northern Idaho.

Dont likes this.
  16. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

I'm staying put. I'm seventy-one and I just don't have another move in me.

I left California to escape the commie takeover and now it's here in Jefferson.
    My guess is that it will ooze everywhere, so I'd just have to move again eventually.

This is my home, the great State of Jefferson. I'm as free here as I'll ever be.

jim2, duane, OldDude49 and 5 others like this.
  17. Navyair

Navyair Monkey++

I'd guess your state has a big target on its back then. President Xi-den's "DHS" is flying illegals all around the country "distributing" them, a lot to "R" states. You can bet that when he figures out how to give them all citizenship where they will vote. Meanwhile, you and I are paying for all the "free" services they use.

jim2, techsar, STGThndr and 5 others like this.
  18. eb in oregon

eb in oregon Monkey

I'm 69, my family has been in Portland Oregon since 1886. My wife and I moved from Portland to a rural home in 1983 and we're now both to old and have too much invested in our home to move elsewhere. So it's a stay in place and defend as best possible plan for us. I think those who believe in the "Bug out" plan should read "The Death of Grass" by John Christopher. There is a place in the book where some attempting to flee the big city run into a road block ambush that is impossible to fight their way out of. The small town people that laid that ambush leave them with their lives and a few clothes, but allow them to leave as later that may not be possible under the press of business. Food for thought.

jim2, crowdaddy, Tully Mars and 3 others like this.
  19. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I feel like I'm living in one of those westerns where the hero realizes that the era he lived in is gone. I love where I currently live, but what people call "progress" has ruined it for me and the place is nothing more than memories. Politics, state and local, are setting us up to become the new Detroit, and I don't know how much longer it will be safe to live here.

AntiFa has now been active in a couple of places within a mile of my home in the past few weeks. Some of the video I've seen has been pretty shocking and unsettling to see in locations I go every few days. The local residents so far aren't taking it laying down and tomorrow may see an all out war zone as they have promised to bring in big numbers to break up a patriotic flag wave they haven't been able to shut down. I think we are still good in terms of support from city and county leadership for LE to do it's job for now, but for how long?

We are gone at the earliest opportunity. There are some complicating factors, but once resolved I'm headed to parts that are cheaper to live, a lot more peaceful, and a lot easier to sustain over time.

For now I'm as set as I can be in my current environment.

20. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

There's another reason to stay, this is my BOL, my proverbial "last stand". I moved here nine years ago in case SHTF and it's in pretty good shape now.
    There's three water sources, it's in the woods, 25 miles from town, set up and prepped, the larder is full and the weapons are zeroed.
    It's as good as I can make it, so I'm staying put.

1. GrayGhost
  2. Asia-Off-Grid
  3. Yard Dart
  4. ED GEiN
  5. TXKajun
  6. tothenaturalstate
  7. 3M-TA3
  8. Motomom34
  9. Motomom34
  10. Motomom34
  11. Equilibrium
  12. VisuTrac