Staying Put

Discussion in 'Survival Topic of the Month' started by saki monkey, Mar 14, 2021.

1. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I have that book and loved it! Also at one point in the book several groups of refugees meet-up on the road in the middle of nowhere, and that tells you that there isn't anywhere that is safe...except for the isolated family farm of the lead character! My folks have lived on this piece of Alabama red clay for 100 years, and if I can't live here I'll die here!

2. eb in oregon

eb in oregon Monkey

"Alas Babylon" by Pat Frank has been on my book shelf for over 50 years. I first read it in grade school. I read "The Death of Grass" back in the late 1970s and later bought a copy for my book shelf. I read "The Postman" by David Brin around 1996 and have that one on my book shelf also. I read the trilogy by William R. Forstchen starting with "One Second After" in 2010 then "One Year After," and ending with "The Final Day" back in 2016. I would recommend those books to anybody interested in living after a catastrophic event as reality many times slaps one silly for their beliefs. All those books have information that demonstrates good things, bad things, an colossally stupid things.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  3. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

I'd certainly recommend the "newcomer" to the PAW lit list - The Road - more reality there than most preppers even want to acknowledge ...

if you want to glean little bits of knowledge and prepper practicality - try the "Get Home" series, Jimmy Rawles works and an author that keeps changing directions - try Konkoly's Perseid Collapse Series

4. eb in oregon

eb in oregon Monkey

"The Road" is a tough read. A book I'll read only once. Were you referring to Bridget Foley's book "Just Get Home"?

STGThndr likes this.
  5. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Bear in mind that in a total SHTF situation, there will be exactly two choices for hard-core preppers: Join a tribe or die. Anybody that doesn't have the assistance and protection of a tribe will be easy meat for predators and (if not raided, looted, and killed) will ultimately decline over time because of small-scale inefficiencies.

Like that old saw: One man can grow 1/2 an acre of wheat, but ten men can grow twenty.

Florida has some major advantages. A high water table, so no problems with drought, and in Central & North FL there is a lot of agriculture in rural areas that are well-suited for tribe-like associations.

The biggest disadvantage is that in the event of nuclear war, Florida (like California and Pennsylvania) will get blasted off of North America.

The heat and humidity can be dealt with. A properly designed house in Florida doesn't need AC. It needs 12ft. ceilings and very tall windows. Plus an insulated attic and a well-shaded porch.

Or veranda, if you prefer.

There is a lot of riff-raff in South Florida that would try to loot their way north if the S well-and-truly HTF. I think they would soon find that Good Ole' Florida Boys are a lot like Texans.

They can shoot, and they can shovel, and they can do it without spilling their beer.

duane, 3M-TA3, Tully Mars and 4 others like this.
  6. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Yes it is better to have friends you can trust if it comes to that. I have some friends at work and friends from the service who have similar beliefs on prepping. The standing offer to “visit” goes both ways.

duane, Dont, oldawg and 1 other person like this.
  7. STGThndr

STGThndr Monkey+

Ura-Ki, I'm wondering how you feel about Colorado now, what with the Dem/libs/commucrats and our governor... I'd leave this state but there really is nowhere to run to at this point in our lives... we live in a fairly conservative area, but there is little short of an act of God which will flip this sorry state of affairs away from the libs in Denver/Boulder...

8. STGThndr

STGThndr Monkey+

I've seen the Cornell Wilde film version called "No Blade Of Grass"... it was shocking the first time I saw it years ago. I still pop it into the old VCR and watch it now and again.. Much food for thought...

9. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

Any progress towards getting the farm?

duane, Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  10. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

is currently available on amazon prime priced at 1.99 to watch or 4.99 to own IIRC...

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Staying put here,BOL whipped out by mother nature in the form of a hurricane and 50/60 year old trees.
    Have plenty of wood for thee that has a sawmill?

duane and GOG like this.
  12. eb in oregon

eb in oregon Monkey

I have it on DVD but I've not watched it for a few years. I thought the book a bit better but the visuality of the movie was a bit of a shock when it first came out. Cornell Wilde had to trim the rape scene as it was considered too graphic at the time. His movie "The Naked Prey" is also an excellent survival film.

duane and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. Dim Witte

Dim Witte Monkey

I've been living in Alaska since 1976, alternating between Alaska and Florid when the cold and dark gets to me; but I've evidently decided Alaska's best for me, what with all that we have in nature and Native people.

Can see a poem about choosing your path at

>> (quote)
    >> “The Road Not Taken” by Robert Frost
    >> . . . .
    >>
    >> I shall be telling this with a sigh
    >> Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    >> Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    >> I took the one less traveled by,
    >> And that has made all the difference.
    >> (unquote)

14. 7.62

7.62 Monkey

My wife and I live in a very small town in a western ranching valley. It is not perfect but it is better then a lot of other places in the USA. The kids and the grand babys are all in the area,so there is no way my wife would ever move from here.

duane, jim2, eb in oregon and 3 others like this.
  15. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Welcome Cowboy !

16. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

Small house in north central FL. Looked to move to Ocala Nat. Forest until the methheads took over. Safer in town. Grayman tactics.

17 acres in western NC. No mailbox. One way in through a gate and an easily moved (with proper equipment) log to block further entry. Spring for water. 10 or 15 miles from town. 1 mile from a large lake with plenty of fish.

Never thought either place would go left. Ocala, FL has tipped over. Bryson City, NC has as well. Craft beer/ mountainbike/manbun/coffee shop/purple hair left.

I still wear my NRA and NAVY hats both places so I guess grayman is kinda a stretch, I still get more atta boys than stink eye in both places.

I really have no idea where I would go if I were 40 years younger. Probably couldn't afford much. Hell we're balking at the price of a new 4 Runner. That '82 Jeep Scrambler in the back yard has a refit on the list soon. Then there's the old Impala with 27,000 original miles on it in a shed at my MIL's house.

But I guess we're going to live with what what we have and where we are now. Could be worse.

duane, Gator 45/70, GOG and 1 other person like this.
  17. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Tell me about this old impala please, I like the ones from the 60's, They be styling !

duane, Tully Mars and madmax like this.
  18. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

Oh Gator, It's the shits. Needs some body work. Probably some upholstery. But the engine is primo and It would be the find of a century for a rehab guy. I can do the mechanics. The other stuff is easily parted out here in Ocala. "66 I think. They are going for about 30 grand redone here. I really can't wait to hear that engine growl again.

duane, Tully Mars and Gator 45/70 like this.
  19. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

You're killing me smalls, Love those things of beauty !

duane, Tully Mars and madmax like this.
  20. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

While apart of me will always miss the old Colorado, it's no longer the place I was always proud to say I was from and hasn't been for a long time. The place we've built/still building here is where we'll stay. Sass and I anchor one end of the family properties and her uncle has the other end with aunts and cousins places in between. We don't live at the end of the last dirt road, but we're out aways too. Over the years I've learned to live with the Alabama humidity but I don't think I'll ever get used to it..

duane, GOG and Gator 45/70 like this.
  1. GrayGhost
  2. Asia-Off-Grid
  3. Yard Dart
  4. ED GEiN
  5. TXKajun
  6. tothenaturalstate
  7. 3M-TA3
  8. Motomom34
  9. Motomom34
  10. Motomom34
  11. Equilibrium