Stealing your id

Discussion in 'Technical' started by annie, Dec 21, 2007.

1. annie

annie Monkey+++

Is there anything these maggots won't stoop to ? The time stamp shows it to be the other side of the world, yet they tied in a Stanford Univ id, just to make it look good I guess. At any rate beware ! I have no such bank account ! They are only phishing.

"Dear Customer, We have noticed that you experienced trouble logging into Central Bank online banking.
    After three unsuccessful attempts to access your account, your Central Bank profile has been locked. This has been done to secure your accounts and to protect your private information. Central Bank is committed to making sure that your online transactions are secure.
    To unlock your account and verify your identity please follow this link and sign in:
    https://www.centralbank.net

Sincerely,
    Central Bank
    Online customer service
    Protect yourself from fraud and identity theft. To learn more, go to http://www.centralbank.net

2. hartage

hartage Monkey+++

Yeah this stuff is pretty common bad part is people fall for it so makes it worth while for bad guys to do.

They even try to fool the more savy people with second level domain names instead of banksoandso.com it says banksoandso_com.xyz.ru lots of other ways also that at first glance looks like a legit domain. Even other tricks like putting down "please contact us at security/banksoandso.com " but when you do a properties query on the hyperlink it will go to theivesinc.cn

Its the dumb and otherwise brain-dead among us that make the existance of scum like this even possible. They are the ones buying garbage through spam email, and giving their personal info through phishing scams. If dumb people didn't buy or fall for it the scammers would starve.

3. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

lol. I get them from 'banks' all the time. I actually fell for one of the paypal or ebay scams one time. I had havoc in those accounts for weeks. I caught myself after I completed the form and changed the passwords. But, PP kept getting failed logins and kept putting my account on hold. JC_Refuge called me a few times when ~$2K was bounced... Sorry again V.

Best thing always is to hover over the link and look in your status bar to see what it really looks like. Or, close the email and log in to the real Bank, PP or ebay, etc and check out the account there.

There is a site dedicated to these scams called 911eater or something like that. They make these nigerians jump through a bunch of hoops to try and complete their scam. then they stiff them. scam the scammer

4. <exile>

<exile> Padawan Learner

When they're at institutions that I don't have an account at I just click the links and type a bunch of bogus information in. Imagine if everyone did that, these guys sites would get hammered. Millions of people clicking the links at the same time? It would also cause the hosting companies that host these bozos to take notice. We've been trying to avoid spammers, lets take the battle to their doorstep!

NOTE: Make sure the link isn't unique to your email address (ex: http://arsebank.com/a34a1324z/, the a34a1324z is a unique string and is probably tied to your email) or your spam could increase significantly.

5. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Or kid of like with junk mail just forward one scammers stuff to the other scammer. If they want to run a Nigerian you could even get the checks from one and send them to another as 'their cut'. lol

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7