Steiner Binoculars/Customer Service

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wideym, Jan 10, 2020.

1. wideym

wideym Monkey+++

Back when I first joined the Army (Dec 88'), one of my first big purchase was a pair of Steiner Binoculars at Clothing and Sale store on post. If I remember correctly, they cost me nearly $500, a princely sum for an E-1 in 1989. I'm pretty sure I used my DPP account (Delayed Payment Program or military member credit account at PX stores except the Class 6 liquor store).

I've used and taken them with me everywhere. Egypt, Iraq, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, and all over the United States. I had lost the eye cups, strap, lens cover, and the rubberized armor was soft and starting to peel off. On a whim I checked the Steiner website and found out that they can re-armor the binos for $50. I called got a return number and they said they would inspect them before they re-armor them and contact me for payment info.

About a week later I received an email saying that it needed eye cups ($25), re-armored ($50), and internal cleaning ($130). I was a bit upset at the cleaning charge and called customer service. I told them that I was a disabled veteran on a fixed income, had the binoculars since a private, and that I would forego the cleaning at that price. The customer service guy said he would throw in the eye cups for free and would see what he could do about getting them cleaned for free. I only paid for the re-armoring and can't wait to see what they look like afterwards. I wish I had taken a photo of them before sending them off, but will post a photo of them when they return and a report on the re-armoring and/or cleaning.

3M-TA3, Gator 45/70, arleigh and 6 others like this.
  2. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

I'm not too surprised - that's what you get from a top notch outfit like Steiner - Nikon is right there too ....

wideym, Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I bought mine second hand from a Stiener dealer, ( about the same time you bought yours) and pretty much the same use. Sent mine in for a clean and inspection and they did the whole job for the cost of shipping! Had almost the exact same thing with Zeiss, mine have been long out of production (1945) there are no parts to be had, none the less, they cleaned them and re sealed them for $30 including shipping!
    Some times the initial cost actually works out in the end!

3M-TA3, Gator 45/70 and wideym like this.
  4. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Have a Zeiss Mariner I sent in for cleaning and quote on new optics.
    Base cost was zero, I paid a nominal charge for the optics as it was clear some clown had scratched the lens on purpose, I had purchased them sometime in the 70s.
    Zeiss 7x50 GA T* I.F. Marine Binoculars
    What a deal!

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Mine are almost identical, I got the 8x50 Mariner's and still find them to be perfect!
    Only one that is close is a pair of late 60's early 70's Miratou U.S. Army 8x 50s I got from a second hand store for $20 bucks, after a good cleaning and re seal, they are stunning!
    Heavy, but bright and clear! Cost me about $120 to get them serviced and sealed, well worth it!

Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  6. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

I have been wearing a pair of Steiner 8x30r Military
    M830r 8x30r

...around my neck since 1996. They have travelled the world with me and never left me wanting.

wideym, Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  7. wideym

wideym Monkey+++

Steiner emailed me today. They re-armored, sealed and back filled with nitrogen, cleaned the optic lenses and internal prisms, and replaced the eye cups. I'll add pictures when it arrives.

8. Andy the Aussie

Excellent !!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I knew a guy that bought a pair of Steiner binoculars and they were seriously NICE!...I would have enjoyed them more if I hadn't been afraid of dropping them!:):oops::eek::mad:

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. wideym

wideym Monkey+++

Bino's came back today! They look great and they did a superb job on the internal cleaning. My only regret is that the old armor had "Made in W.Germany" imprinted in the armor and then new armor doesn't have it. It may have been a relic of the Cold War, but then again so am I. 20200204_115731[1]. 20200204_115726[1]. 20200204_115717[1].

3M-TA3 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

hmmm... been thinkin on a pair... also... range finder???

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. Andy the Aussie

Yes bumping and old thread. My 26yo Steiners are between here and Germany getting new rubber and a clean and re-gas. About $200Aussie including the shipping both ways. Sadly it’s around a 6month turnaround.

Gator 45/70, Dunerunner and SB21 like this.
  13. Andy the Aussie

I just received my old (1996 made/purchased) Steiners back from a trip to Germany. I have ZERO complaints about them. After all the years I have had them and they having accompanied me all around the world I decided to send them back for a re-gas and clean. Spoke to the Aussie rep and then put it off over COVID. While out in the far west last year I realised that the rubber coating where I hold them with my right hand has started to perish. It was notably thinning and tacky. So I asked if a re-cover was possible. I shipped them off November last year with a quoted turnaround of 6-9months. I had a couple of hiccups with the Aussie agent that we sorted out (frustration/communication vs a real issue). I will say at two points both the Aussie agent and Steiner in Germany (allegedly) tried to get me into factory refurbished units for the same cost as the repair quote. Neither model they offered were actually comparable to these so I declined. And waited.

They arrived at home this week and if I am being honest at first I thought they had shipped me a new pair but upon checking the SN they are mine !!! Could not be happier. They also replaced all the caps and sent a new strap. In the end total cost was about 1/2 of the quoted price (though I think this was because of the coms issues along the way).

[​IMG]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7