Steve Jobs Just Died !

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nadja, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Depends on what one's idea of 'quality of life' is. Me being a State Employee and programmer, I have a strict rule - I don't take home to work, and I don't bring work home. I do not see myself 'climbing the corporate ladder' and working 80 hours a week with no life to myself. I makea good deal more than "$8 an hour", but will never be 'management' making 'the big bucks'.
    If someone loves what they do and want to put in that extra time, have at it.
    It's simply not for everyone. Work is work, fun is fun, and the two will never meet for me.
    Jobs was of a different sort. If one was satisfied working for him, busting one's butt for him, I wish the best for them. I could not work there, personally.

2. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I agree that everyone must make their own decision as to what impacts their quality of life but for those who choose to work for an entrepreneurial man like Steve Jobs and choose the opportunities, financial and otherwise, offered by that choice, then don't whine about what it takes to achieve the goal

3. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2015
  4. UGRev

UGRev Get on with it!

I see your 20 and I raise you 100. People don't have the right to grind you down to a nub as a means to an end. Please don't forget that many of these dev's were pit bulls and NEVER wanted to give up on something they loved.

I just released some beta 2 software tonight and I'm analyzing the data in between runs.. I bust my ass, love what I do.. but I stare over at my 4 year old watching TV .. I wonder if it's worth it.

5. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Glad to hear you are test UGRev instead of having the end user debug the routines LOL - you're a good man

On the "worth it question," you are at home testing, watching your son and he is watching you. You are setting a good example of hard work - that will only benefit him in his life. Take a break, roll around the floor with your boy, bring him on to your lap and tell him how much you love him, explain to him about doing a good job, and when he goes to bed, go back to your work, refreshed by the knowledge that you are giving you son the gift of knowledge of life. What more could be asked of a dad

6. UGRev

UGRev Get on with it!

nice defuse.. :)
    yeah, it was a real mother to test, but I think we got it. Might be some tweaks down the road, but it looks good.. knock on wood.

Now if I can only get the marketing sales lady who is also the biz logic liaison to grasp proper release cycles. Everything is in warp speed to her and cutting corners to program only essential code (what ever the heck that means...lol) is how she wants it. Well, I did that and Beta 1 was horrifyingly bad. So I just said: NO.. we unit test and we do it my way. I did it your way and it sucked.. now it's my turn.

She wasn't happy about that, but too bad. I'm not going to get beat up over shitty software when their processes don't mesh, are old and just not feasible in a software world. I have an agile development progress/project tracker tool and she refuses to use it. So I just threw my hands up and said "the progress reports are all there.. I can't spend 30-40 mins on the phone to give you updates if you want me to program.."

*UGH!*

And my boy is on my lap at this very moment.. :) I'm taking a break.. and we're watching music vids on you tube :)

7. RightHand

It is so difficult to explain to some people that a crappy product is worse than a delayed product or even no product at all and I'm glad you are holding firm. Don't let them beat you down. Putting out a release you are proud of because you worked hard to make it right is a great satisfaction, knowing that you did battle with those who would have you do less.

8. Seawolf1090

For a very good primer on the beginnings of the "Computer Revolution", and the extreme differences betweenthe cultures of the original East Coast Hackers (when that was a GOOD thing to be) and the money-obsessed West Coast Entrepeneurs, a must read is the book "Hackers" by Steven Levy.
    It details the movers & shakers who created the industry, the rise & fall of many of the companies.

9. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Hello, I'm a PC. It seems that I've just won the argument in sudden death.

Yep, Naughty Monkey strikes again.

10. Seawolf1090

This'll teach Jobs to use Windoze..... Personal Reboot 2.0 just crashed......

[aiw]

11. UGRev

UGRev Get on with it!

...harsh..

12. radpug

radpug Monkey+

13. Seawolf1090

Good to see that Woz holds no grudge.

I remember a saying....

"The candle that burns the brightest burns half as long."

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary