Stock Market

Discussion in 'Financial Cents' started by SLugomist, Feb 18, 2010.

1. SLugomist

SLugomist Monkey++

I have been watching the markets closely lately and today there were huge run-ups in a vast majority of shares. One I was watching went up 250% by noon then cameback to ~150%. Lot's of 10% gainers. After Hours they have almost all given up as much as they made as of this post.
    I'm putting in some stop sale orders for open.

The fed just increased interest rates. I think announced after close.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Fed-raises-discount-rate-to-rb-1185528021.html;_ylt=AuHO5WmsaxA0K_EWD64Ddpu7YWsA;_ylu=X3oDMTE1ZGRmYjNxBHBvcwMyBHNlYwN0b3BTdG9yaWVzBHNsawNmZWRoaWtlc2Rpc2M-?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=main&asset=&ccode=

China sold some billions in T bills
    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601068&sid=aFJ57ZEjS0uM

Tomorrow might be very interesting, may be a spark.

2. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Yeah I liked the "back door" tactics by the feds....
    Then as if, the newest unemployment number increase was announced, AFTER the stock market closed...
    It will be interesting in the morning!

3. UGRev

UGRev Get on with it!

I liked how the other day the DI was at 80.26 and Silver was at 15.20 something.. now the DI is at 81.27 and silver is at 15.81.

Dollar goes up.. silver goes up? run in commodities?

4. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

All I can figure is somehow ( I do not deal in stocks, I spend my money too fast!) the whole is manipulated!
    But, maybe I'm just paranoid?

5. SLugomist

SLugomist Monkey++

Boy was my call off.

6. Jonas Parker

Jonas Parker Hooligan

It's hard to bet on a rigged game...

7. SLugomist

SLugomist Monkey++

Well CPI came in lower than expected, excluding food and energy less. Energy up like 4% and 1% up for food. Also, the interest rate hike was only for banks borrowing money, not business's or consumers. The stocks I watch, about 33 % gained and the rest even to slightly lower.

Yeah it isa crap shoot sometimes, but if you find companies with good balance sheets that are cheap, you can do ok.

8. SLugomist

SLugomist Monkey++

Are there any business men in the Monkey?

9. UGRev

UGRev Get on with it!

no, just a bunch of wrenches, screwing with the system.

10. fortunateson

fortunateson I hate Illinois Nazis!

Maybe, or just may be a short term aberration.

Precious metals and oil are jumping every time the market jumps. They're doing this in anticipation of inflation. The fed's (and fed govt.) current monetary process should be causing MASSIVE APOCALYPTIC INFLATION... but it is not.
    Why? because there is no borrowing. No more real estate market. No business expansion. IOW a bad recession.

Now, what happens if we hit a real, honest recovery? If you ask me, it's like a bowstring being pulled tight. Recovery will be the release. All that inflation will become real and the dollar won't be worth a bucket of warm spit.

BUT things may get much worse. Rawles recently had an article on his site about how the commercial real estate market is about to crash BAD.
    That means we either keep the status quo or have deflation. I doubt this. Carter proved that we can have inflation and economic stagnation at the same time.

IMO (and it is just my opinion) massive inflation is 2/3 odds...

Cheers.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7