Stock options.

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Oddcaliber, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Pick up a stock for a Savage Springfield model 840 today. Looks like it needs some inlettin for a proper fit. Now I'm not much of a woodworker more mechanically inclined and the stock cost me $200! Don't want to mess it up. So should I just have a gunsmith do it or risk it by doing it? I await your answers.

techsar, Ura-Ki and duane like this.
  2. duane

duane Monkey+++

While it is easy enough to do if you use a transfer medium to show the high spots, doing a stock right and especially if you bed it or free float it is an art. I love the old rifles and shotguns that were high art in the past and where the decorative art on the firearm was often worth more than the actual mechanical firearm. Engraving, inletting, checkering, all of the almost lost old arts are indeed a thing of beauty. While I don't really understand it all, a lot of the final accuracy of the first shot is determined by the relationship between the barrel and the stock and it becomes even more important a the barrel heats up after several shots. Guess it comes down to what your goals are, 3 shots for deer hunting once a year is a lot different than competitive long range target shooting or a thing of art to leave to your grand children.

That said, I.was expecting advice on retirement income and the idiots of Wall Street, and was very happy to see it was a real world question and only wish I could give a non weasel answer, but the ultimate choice in both gun stocks and Wall Street comes down to personal choice. While a plastic stock and a stainless action and barrel, might not appeal to me, they may well be perfect for a boat gun, and worst comes to worst, could be used as a improvised paddle to get you home without damaging anything but your pride.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    techsar, Ura-Ki and Oddcaliber like this.
  3. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Mid-way USA has a number of video clips showing precisely how to do such a task. Watch a couple and decide for yourself, I do all mine but don't bother to buy most of the little gadgets Larry Potterfield says you need.

Tully Mars, techsar, oldawg and 2 others like this.
  4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I have done many, from complete custom to simple final inletting, so I can pass on some tips and tricks I have learned or that were passed down! If this is a mostly inletted stock, you should be able to do the final fitting your self with only a few tools, some you make your self. Sanding sticks are a cheap and easy way to work the fit slow and easy and in control. a dremel is a god send, but care is needed. if your having to drill, you may be in above your head if you don't have a drill press with a GOOD vice! Files are a worthy investment, small round files, and rasps will get you close, and the sanding sticks will finish it up! Cutting barrel channels can be a daunting task, but it doesn't have to be, Blue masking tape is your friend and work slow until you get the feel of the tools and the wood, then it's not too bad!

snake6264, techsar and Oddcaliber like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7