Stock-piling Ammunition

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Seacowboys, May 25, 2009.

1. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I noticed after every hurricane or catostropic event, there is a propencity for scalpers to load up on plywood, roofing materials, ice, food, whatever and set upon the needy population without a trace of beneviolence and make a profit. I also have been reading recently, financial advisors recommending stock-piling ammunition as a hedge against inflation (read proffit). This is hurting those of us that actually shoot by creating shortages and driving prices through the ceiling. I shoot competitively and average 20K rounds a year just practicing or shooting matches. I have to reload to support this sport and it is fast moving out of financial reach. People that will never fire a weapon more than a gratuitus trip to the range, are buying loads of ammo , guns, and components in some ill-advised preparation for Obamadom and that is ok, but the real shortage, I can guarentee you, is being created by speculators; the same folks that gave us the housing bubble and you can bet your ass, this is not by chance. There are warehouses filled with ammo out there. Do a gunbroker search on primers right now and see what they are bringing. I just watched 5K of small pistol go for nearly $400.00 that regularly sells for $120.00. Some of us are thinking this is a good thing that people are stock-piling to present a front for our liberties but I do not beleive in the tooth-fairy either and I contend this has as much to do with scalping speculation as it does protection.

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

You have a point. The question then becomes, "Who has it all?" It is not in the retail stream, or it would be off back order and on the shelf at exorbitant price. There is NONE around here at any price.

3. Seacowboys

I think its kinda like the "perfect storm" scenario where each component feeds the malestrom? I am compelled to buy larger amounts when I can find them, to support my hobbies, the little woman down the street buys six boxes for her .38 instead of the one that would last beyond her life-expectancy, back-orders are larger than ones that you expect to have to pay for right away due to our propencity to live beyond our means and the "just in case" factor. This has to get worse before it improves; what other area of supply and demand has ever failed to stimulate the entrepeneur to fill the shortages?

4. ghrit

So the supply is not being diverted/choked by major speculators, just by what might be called hoarders. That's what I am afraid of, too. Like you sorta indicated, there will be a lot of estate auctions with guns and ammo a go-go on the block down the road.

5. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

I am finding that there is more ammo out there on shelves, but, at that exorbitant price. At least down here in north central florida. Additionally, places like Super Walmarts etc, do get stuff in at resonable prices. Prices that beat almost any you can find now on the internet, but it disappears off the shelves as fast as it is put out. I was lucky enough to be in a super walmart when 3 cases of winchester 22lr was brought out. 333 rounds to a box at $9.97. I did a quick calculation, and bought 2 cases. I think the worst is over as far as hoarding goes. Strictly IMHO of course. [dunno]

6. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I would not be surprised to see a lot of people dumping ammo in the market within the next year to year and a half. The ammo manufacturers and gun manufacturers have been working day and night increasing production to meet the demand, sooner or later that demand will decrease and things will stabilize, ,maybe dealers will have an excess on hand. I have seriously thought about dumping some of what I have on the market, the ol' "sell high, buy low" philosophy. I am just too lazy to want to have to market, and deal with selling it all.

7. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

I have the same gut feeling that's what is going to happen, They will start selling their stockpiled ammo to pay the bills. Problem will be that they will have to sell at a deflated cost because very few people will have the expendable cash pay for it.

8. The Expendable

The Expendable Bread and Circus Master

And when they do, I'll be ready!

9. Seacowboys

While I am sure you are correct that some will begin selling off stocks of ammo to off-set rising costs of living, I do not see this happening to a significant degree, at least not enough to quell the demand. I also do not see the demand lessening in-spite of increased production. Let me peep out from under my tin-foil hat here and shout "Its a Hurricane!" it feeds on everything that contributes and (sorry E.L.) some of us contribute by playing the buy cheap and sell long philosophy. I will bet a snake dinner that this trend will continue for at least another complete year and once supplies start catching up, prices will be at least 100% higher than right now.
    PS.
    Will trade food for primers.

10. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Before long, as food stocks plummet and prices go sky high, those folks will be trading or selling ammo to get food! When the ammo is gone, they will sell their guns.
    Soon, the sheep are grazing peacefully again, and all is well in the Obamanation...... :rolleyes:

11. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Whatever the case may be, wherever the answer might lie, it makes one wonder what comes next ?
    Most people say food will suddenly become a "commodity" that see's a great deal of shortages....
    Personally, I hope not...
    There's not much one can say, when confronted by a few hundred thousand starving people with their chidren!
    Either or, it bothers me......

12. Cephus

Cephus Monkey+++ Founding Member

I believe your right ,we will never see ammo cheap again .

The price will be so high from now on that nobody but the well off will be able to get it ,at that point what use is weapon without ammo.

Somebody is manipulating it I just don't know who,YET.[dunno]

13. ikean

ikean Monkey++

i remember seeing pictures of russians standing in line to get a loaf of bread or some soap.i even saw in a movie people just got in line to get something and didnt know what the line was for.
    after hurricanes all the unprepared wait in line for free mres food and waterpeople who had electricity were going and getting the stuff, just to get it.
    all the patient linewaiting in gradeschool was training.

i wont be waiting in line paitiently as i was the hyper kid with his shirt over his head running down the hall screaming,
    they didnt call it add then, but i got it.[boozingbuddies]

14. ghrit

Grade school was a piece of cake, HS was a PIA. Training for Navy chow lines, I guess. When the company commander (an MRMC with more hashmarks than sleeve) got tired of yelling at us, he'd march us to the chow hall. Early. WAY early, sometimes. PAH-rade, REST!! [coffee2]

And so, back on topic. I'm picking up vibes here and there that ammo is loosening up, but not a lot. Evidently, the jobbers are rationing it out to the retailers. If you know the shopkeeper, he might give you a call when he gets his allotment. Usta bee, the shipments just didn't come at all.

15. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

I am going to be a little cryptic here so as to not give up the game, or my advantage completely, but to give you all something to think about. If someone knew of someone who worked in a regional distribution center for a company with a sporting goods/ammo section... then they could get inside information on when the stores would actually be getting their shipments of a specific item or type of items, and they could be there before the shelves were stripped bare. Just a thought of course. After all, who could possibly be so lucky as to have a contact like that. I of course wish you all the very best in acquiring all that you need. I will continue to give out any info I come by..... just as soon as I complete my purchase or order.

16. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I think it will pass before too long (within the year or so). I think the biggest part of it is simply runs/panic buying by all the folks who never stocked up before. Lets face it there were some 3 million guns sold in the last quarter of last year and I doubt any of those went without at least a box or 2 of ammo, then everyone scared of gun bans or 500% taxes on ammo from the Obomanation buyiing up ammo combined with the military undoubtedly trying to stock up beyond normal for fear of budget cuts and so on. It cant run on for ever since eventualy most of the folks will run outt of money or decide they have enouph. I know the local Walmart started limiting amonts of ammo per person because they were haveing folks drop $1500 or more at a time to buy them out as soon as shipments arived.

Like I say, I dont see it being a super long term situation since if it goes on much more than the year or so the manufacturers desire for profit would likely create additional plants to meet the demand and make the profits. I do see it going long enouph that it makes me glad for the stocks I do have and wish the stocks were a bit deeper in some areas though.

17. The Expendable

The Expendable Bread and Circus Master

I had 1,000 rounds of .30 Carbine on back order at Sportsman's Guide. Since I've been shooting a lot of that lately I decided to double my order. I emailed them with my request, but instead of doubling my order, they canceled it! I had to reorder it, but it was $20 more per case this time!

<sigh> Oh well, it's still a good price... IF I ever get it!

18. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I am starting to see more and more ammo back on the shelves. Even the local Army/Navy store must have had at least 40 boxes of Remington containing 50 rds. each of .223. Now of course they wanted $29.99 a box of 50, but they were always high anyway.

19. Seacowboys

From today's gun-show in Mobile: nuff said. This Bastard should be thrown in jail.
    Primers.

20. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

At the very least, he needs a good 'horse whipping'...... [beat]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7