Stock-piling Ammunition

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Seacowboys, May 25, 2009.

1. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

DITTO !!! [gun][gun][gun][gun]

2. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I am seeing more rifle ammo on the shelves but it is still high. Pistol ammo however I am not seeing, at least not in .45, .40, 9mm or .380

3. The Expendable

The Expendable Bread and Circus Master

Yep. I've been looking for .45 auto and .22LR bulk. Nada for both.

4. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

"Hoarders should be taken out by the brown shirts and shot repeatedly until their hoarded ammo is depleted to empty brass. Then the brass should be destroyed so it can be rehoarded!"

- Adolf Hitler (Just kidding on the Adolf Hitler part).

5. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I'd much more expect AG Holder to have said that..... [loco]

6. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

You don't have to read a cryptic message to ask your local dealer to give you a call when they get your specified ammo in. Some are more than happy to provide good customer service :).

7. The Expendable

Well, down at Big Dawg Guns and Ammo, they know that if I say, "the white goose flies at midnight" it means I want 7.62x39mm. When they tell me that the "goose has landed" I know it's in.

Simple, huh? :)

8. hitech_hick

hitech_hick Monkey++

If there are people/companies speculating on the ammo market, they will get theirs soon enough. Same as when people were speculating on the oil market, market tanks, and they are sitting there with something that they paid 3 times the market value for. Me, I bought what I could when I could. There are some kinds/calibers that I would like more of, but that will have to wait until the market corrects itself...

hick

9. The Expendable

I was at Gander Mountain this morning and they had plenty of ammo. They're kinda pricey though, but they had ammo in stock.

10. homeshow

homeshow Monkey++

11. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

At our local Sportsman's Warehouse, ammo is still scarce but they do get some in small quantities.
    Powder and bullets are making a slow come-back - I've been able to get enough to keep me shooting. Primers are stil MIA, but I have enough stocked to last me into next year, if necessary.
    Gun prices and availability are slowly improving too.
    Hopefully, those who panicked will realize The Kenyan hasn't really done anything to us, guns&ammowise, so they will start spending their money on other things.

12. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

I was at a local gun shop the other day and couldn't believe that they were asking $39.99 for a 500 rd. brick of 22lr. They were always a little pricey anyway but WTF. Pistol ammo is still in short supply around here.

13. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

hmmmm bbringing "new meaning to "like poop through a goose?":D

14. The Expendable

I bought a 525 round brick of Remington HP 22LR at Gander Mountain yesterday for 25 bucks. I knew that was high but I bought it anyway. $40? That's too much even for me!

15. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Today on a 120 mile round trip I detoured by to stop at the closest Quality Gun Shop in my area of north central Florida. I was shocked to see so much ammo available there. They had most everything, and in massive quanities. Unfortunately the prices were equally massive. I asked about one item that I didn't see in bulk boxes highly stacked in the open floor area. I asked about .380 ACP hollow points. He reached behind the counter and pulled a 25 round box of hornady critical defense loads from a stack of 40 to 50 boxes total, and handed them to me. After looking at the $35 price sticker, I handed them back. I told him that I didn't need them that bad. Six months ago that was a $17 - $20 box of bullets. I suspect however that the price may drop some, but I wonder by how much. I will provide the name of the store to anyone in the Gainesville Florida area by PM if they really are in need and don't mind outrageous prices. Otherwise, they can remain nameless as they do not deserve the free advertisement here. JMHO of course [gun] ps: this gun store does not sell reloading components at all.

16. The Expendable

My mom works at a Wal-Mart near where I live. I asked her if she would check on some ammo for me. She told me that there's a guy who is giving the truck unloaders a kickback to hold back all the ammo for him! It never even makes it to the shelves, since they hold it all for him! I was so mad, but I don't know what to do. I don't want my mom to get in any trouble.

17. homeshow

homeshow Monkey++

get a friend to call and complain. this shit has gone on long enough. best bet it's some merchant reselling at an enourmous profit

18. mage2

mage2 Monkey+++

From the Saxet gun show in austin, 7.62x39 cheapest was around .40 a round and went up.
    the worst was magazines. old cosmoline covered AK battle mags priced at $30 each..
    cheapest was "new" asian built @ $15.

all prices were stupid.

19. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Academy had plenty of .357 Mag. Monarch 125. gr. hollow points for $19.99 a box of 50. That really shocked me, I expected them to be higher.

20. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

And in my case the local store $35 for 25 rounds of .380 ACP hollow points. I won't forget that! They got my last dollar. Thanks for providing the info for comparing prices.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7