Stopped for Open Carry in Eugene Oregon

Discussion in 'Freedom and Liberty' started by ColtCarbine, May 23, 2012.

1. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/v7UMdniHWkI?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Saw this on a local firearms forum

2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

The more people who open carry, the more who will become accustomed to the notion and won't be calling the cops over a Constitutionally protected right. However, in some cities, and throughout various states, it's just not a wise idea. Concealed carry accomplishes the same task without alarming the sheep (although real sheep are rumored to be more intelligent than the timid masses) and without giving the guys in uniform a reason to inquire. The case is simple in my opinion. I fully support open carry, but it's a real pain in the butt because of the modern, brainwashed culture we have.

It also doesn't need to be said, but I will mention it anyway -it's a safe bet that this guy knew very well he was going to be stopped by police. I don't see this as a problem at all, and I respect the way he handled the matter for the most part (although I would have been more courteous knowing how the police were going to respond) because it's within his right to open carry and not have to be stopped, questioned or identified. Again, the more this happens, the less likely people who open carry will be bothered...but, honestly it may only be wishful thinking.

jollyrodger13 likes this.
  3. wrc223

wrc223 Monkey+

So, basically (according to these particular ones) officers think you are an asshole if you know and exercise your Constitutional rights.

God I love it when people do things like this!!!!

4. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

I have been contemplating to open carry but do not want the hassle that could come with it. I feel I should not need .gov's blessing to carry conceal, besides that IWB holsters are very uncomfortable. I do like the idea of carry conceal for transport in a vehicle though. Decisions, decisions, decisions pay .gov and be put on a list or deal with the po-po from time to time.

Brokor likes this.
  5. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

"I appreciate your concern and the concern of the uninformed citizen that called this in. I am doing nothing wrong, is this correct?. Am I being detained?" And then shut the heck up! Remember, "Anything you say can and will be used against you."

This bozo got real lucky the cops who stopped him weren't having a bad day and looking for someone to hassle.

Kajun

6. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

I agree with you all about open carry....and this is slightly not the best example, but let me play Devil's Advocate for a minute.....

(and the reason I pose this question is because I've been asking myself the same question).

You're in a restaurant...let's say a Cracker Barrel and a guy comes in. He looks agitated, like he's looking for his party. As he walks past, you notice that he's open carrying.

What do you do? You are, of course, packing a CCW.

Ohio man kills wife and daughter in shooting rampage at Cracker Barrel restaurant, police say - Crimesider - CBS News

Obviously...the real case is a bit different. The guy had a shotgun...........someone comes into a restaurant open-carrying a shotgun, you know the Ss about to HTF.

Hind sight is 20-15. If someone would've smoked this dude upon entry, those two would still be alive.

People need to be more aware of their situational surroundings. Someone should've stuck a fork in this a$$hole's jugular.

7. groovy mike

groovy mike Immortal

I support legal open carry, but I gotta add that the officers seemed pretty reasonable to me. I don't think anyone did anything wrong here.

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

A Golden Teaching Moment. Those two cops did the right thing, even if snottily, and should have passed it along to the dispatcher that the guy was OK. Then, if anyone else called in, dispatch could tell them that he is within the law and give the caller a reference to look it up. (Can't help wondering if they did.)

9. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

When they ask can I talk to you they are setting up a "consensual contact" per the supreme court, that is when you ask if you are detained if the answer is no keep walking. More that likely they will tell you to stop but t is then a detention and something they can be made to justify. But do that after the fact.

10. Redneck Rebel

Redneck Rebel Monkey++

Below linked is memo written by Greene County, Ohio prosecutor to law enforcement agencies who requested clarification of legality of open carry in Ohio. Fortunately Ohio's Constitution prevents municipalities from making their own laws with regard to firearms so laws about them are statewide here.

I found point #4 of particular interest because I was under the impression that due to the Patriot Act one must present ID anytime LEO's request it when in a public place. The law provided with the memo does seem to leave a pretty open door to the officer tho.
    Greene County Prosecutor Memo to Police Departments

11. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Cop: "If we continue to receive complaints we will have to cite you with disorderly conduct."

The only thing disorderly is the fascist police state.

Cop: "May I ask why you are openly carrying a firearm like this?"

Do folks commonly ask you the same question, officer?

Mountainman likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7