Storing Canned goods

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Ganado, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@UncleMorgan, thank you that is simple and easy fix, and it the rubber bands will keep the jar lids from bumping the sides. I will see if I can get one built this winter and give it a try.

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I don't understand the objection to Glass Containers, in such a vertical Storage System. Seems to me, as long as one is careful, when loading new Stock, and not drop the Glass Containers down the Rack, pulling the oldest out the bottom, wouldn't be a cause for concern. Also, with the SideRails, on each track, the Glass Containers, wouldn't fall out, in an EarthQuake, like the likely would if just stored on a shelf, as shown in subsequent Pictures. If the Jiggling of Glass is an issue one could easily put a small strip of Bubble Wrap, in between each Glass Container, and then just recycle them back to the Top when Reloading that Rack...

Ganado likes this.
  3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Glass jars are not designed for side pressure. You would split the glass side wall when the jars moved. Then it would be a chain reaction failure.

4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Actually, No that is NOT an issue.... When I was in High School, i worked a NorthWest Glass in Seattle, WA where they make all kinds of Glass Containers. After the Containers come out of the Molds, they traveled on conveyers for inspection, and thru the Cooling Area. Then to the Packaging Machines, on another Conveyer which then fed a vertical Stacked Chute about 30Ft, to the Bulk Palletizer, on the Floor Below. I don't remember any issue with that System, with the Glass Breaking, and it was moving about 500 Containers a minute. We did Beer Bottles, Coke Bottles, Nalley's, and Farman's Condiment Jars of all sizes and shapes. The machinists would swap out the Vertical Stack Chute, with the appropriate Chute for the Product getting Packaged, during that Run. The Beer bottle Line was a 27/7/365 operation, as we made all the Glass for Rainier, and Olympia Beer, at that time. I still have my Book, for the "Glass Blowers & Bottlers Union".... but it has inactive, for 40+ years....

arleigh and Ganado like this.
  5. kellory

Yep, and every one of them was empty. All 27/7/365.

I work with glass in large and small sheets, daily. Glass is very strong in compress, it will support a good deal of wieght (in the right direction) and is used in spheres for submersibles. But glass should never be stored or transported flat/horizontal, because it breaks.
    You get a stack of heavy glass jars, all resting on a small connecting surface, and the pressure on that surface increases with every jar. It will break, because the downward force is not carried on the entire wall, it is causing the glass to flex. (Glass really, really, does not like flex).
    Once one jar gives way, the rest have momentum, and it will chain reaction smash.
    No glass tube is designed for compression from only two points. It WILL break.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  6. kellory

In fact, feel free to prove me wrong.;) build a test stack (simple enough) what? Ten jars high? Or would you like to test that 30' stack of yours?
    Can ten jars of water (why waste good food?) To the same pressure requirements of your food. Mark one jar, and stack them, cycle them from bottom to top ten times. And I'll bet you have at least one go smash (I would expect more).
    Glass accumulates micro fractures, that knit under pressure, but these jars are under vacuum, and have an outside force on only two points.
    Even if you stacked these jars vertically in tubes(which would be much preferred) they have a rating for how many can be stacked.
    Edit: it appears, that stacking them vertically is also very limited in use, and could cause a false seal. (Even with wood boards between.

Living Homegrown

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  7. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Glass is a crypto-crystalline material, which just means it doesn't have a nice repeating internal geometric lattice. Glass is also a room-temperature liquid, although a very viscous one. In houses more than a century old in Boston, vertical window glass has been found that has flowed downward to the point that the bottom edges of the panes are wider than the top edges.

Time is tricky that way.

Glass has limited flexibility, and thin sheets flat glass are readily breakable when transported flat if they are not fully supported (e.g.: stacked on a pallet).

Glass is immensely strong in pure compression--so as soon as you form a sheet of glass into a cylinder it gets a lot stronger than a sheet of equally thick (or thin) flat glass. That because stresses are distributed around the cylinder. It becomes a 2-D sphere, so to speak.

It gets even stronger as a hollow sphere, because the stresses are distributed equally in every direction: 3-D. That's nothing new to Nature: it's why an uncracked egg is so difficult to crush in a one-handed grip (Strongman Stunt #2036: Usually requires cheating.).

Glass jars are made from glass that has been designed not to shatter. Selected chemistry, stress-relieved, etc.

If you want to find out how strong a Mason jar really is, for example, lay one down sideways on a piece on carpet on a flat surface. Then put on a pair of tennis shoes and step right up on it.

Do the famous Whooping Crane Single Leg Karate Stance. Make ki noises. Boogie around a bit. Jump up & down.

If you weigh less than 600 lbs, the jar should be fine.

Mason Jars are designed to routinely resist a 15PSI pressure load. They are also made with a four or five to one safety factor, which bumps their ultimate strength up to at least 60-75 PSI.

A pint wide-mouth Mason jar is (roughly) a cylinder about 3.375" X 4.750". It has a side surface area of about 25 square inches. That's without even including the solid base.

25 X 15 = 375 lbs. With the safety factor added in, call it 1,500-1,875 lbs. (MOL:YMMV)

Weight alone will not crush a stack of mason jars. Not even a floor-to-ceiling one.

alaskachick, BTPost and Ganado like this.
  8. kellory

ball jars.
    I'm not gonna argue with you. Feel free to test your theory. Those jars are designed for en even negative pressure (with is their strongest use (compression). Not two hard points on their weakest points.
    (And yes, I know glass flows over time, you can see it in ghost town windows of the old west. You are however talking in the range of a hundred years or so, though).
    To stand on a mason jar side is foolish. The pressure is NOT evenly distributed.

9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Personally I would not store my glass jars on any of those single jar shelves or on their sides. My canned jars go on a very sturdy wide shelf but not near the edge or they are in a crate. I place all my glass storage so that it is secure. Kids, grandkids, walkers and wheel chairs could bump, rattle and break a canning jar easily. IMO a canned jar of pickles is very different from a jar from the store. Time and effort were put into the homemade pickles therefore in my mind they are valuable. I protect my valuables.

I like the tin can display in the first post because that is very efficient, taking up little space and helps with rotation. As for canned foods, I personally have them in a stable area. Sharpie markers are your friends, they can help greatly with boldly telling what needs to be rotated.

alaskachick and Ganado like this.
  10. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I have shelves as well. Just looking for a better way to store and rotate. I am of the lazy school... only handle once or twice... or figure out a better system

alaskachick and Motomom34 like this.
  11. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

One or twice is nothing. Some lady said she handles her cans from purchase to disposal 9 times. I also would love a more compact way to store them that is safe.

12. alaskachick

alaskachick A normally quiet snow monkey

I LOVE this idea!!! I had never heard of ranger rings, so I was thinking I was going to be googling. Then, you answered my question, many thanks!!!
    We have both types of storage,cans and jars. This is going to have to go on the honey-do list.

I can see it now BTP will have me boogieing in the living room!;)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2015
    Ganado likes this.
  13. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

I still do it the old fashioned way for cans and glass...mark each container with the date purchased, pull the older stock to the front and place the new stock to the rear. Some people like feeling the earth in their hands when they garden, I like feeling the cans and jars in my hands when I am stacking. ;)

14. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I looked at sliding shelves like these . This video is for a tiny house/apartment living but I thought the shelving idea was very good, move them like document storage racks
    ALL I OWN HOUSE - PKMN architectures

15. kellory

16. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Yard Dart and kellory like this.
  17. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

kellory likes this.
  18. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

[​IMG]

kellory likes this.
  19. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

How To: Cabinet For Storing Canned Goods or Heavy Items - Survivalist Forum
    [​IMG]
    Why is this cabinet different?
    - It really maximizes your space, able to hold nearly 500 quart jars in a very small area
    - There's Little to no wasted material
    - It can hold over 100 gallons of food by volume and probably a ton or more by weight
    - The price is fairly low for it's holding capacity (under $70)
    - It's quick and easy to build with very minimal measuring
    - You can customize it to any size or shaped items
    - It can be easily taken down and moved if you want or need to

Rocky Road Lerp likes this.
  20. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I like that one, but not a good choice for earthquake prone areas unless some retention is added.

Ganado likes this.
  1. JC Refuge
  2. JC Refuge
  3. Dunerunner
  4. stg58
  5. duane
  6. Motomom34
  7. TnAndy
  8. Ganado
  9. Dunerunner
  10. Ganado
  11. JC Refuge