Storing Canned goods

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Ganado, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@ghrit i liked that one too, I'm just wondering if a couple of inches could be added to each shelf for clearance and put in 1" strips for earthquake. I was also looking at putting it on heavy duty shop rollers so front and back were accessible.

2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Too tall for rollers of any kind very top heavy. And no need to add additional clearance for a one inch strip in the front. Just tip the jar.

Edit: you could add a heavy duty inline caster, at center and one end, hinge the other end to the wall. That would carry the weight and add stability.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  3. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

there isnt enough clearance to tip the jar, and get it over a 1" slat, otherwise I would not have said anything

4. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I like it too, just one question. Couldn't you get away with using 1/4" ply for the backboard? The weight of the shelves and canned goods are supported by the sides and middle supports. By replacing the back board there would be substantial weight savings. I have build similar shelves for garage/shed storage and have only used 1/4" ply for the back and I've had no issues.

Also by adding a 1.5" or so wide by 3/4" strip to each shelf you are adding some strength to it and may not need the middle supports, or at least reduce them to every other shelf. At 1.5" wide, you are giving yourself a 3/4" lip on each shelf, not sure if that's high enough to prevent items from toppling out.

With the shelf unit at 48" wide, you should be able to secure each side to a stud, if your home is built with 16" OC studs (my current home is not, all walls are 20" OC what a PIA).

5. kellory

Looks like just enough clearance to tip to me, even at close examination. But, if you want more clearance, do it, but you will lose one useable shelf doing so.

6. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I know from 1st hand experience you need those middle supports about every 2.5 to 3 ', 4 ft shelves sag after about 4 years.

I think a lighter backing is a great idea. I was looking at no backing so I could slide jars in from the back.

I was also thinking, a wire front door like a cage across the front of the jars rather than a 1" slat with chalkboard paint as a possibility.

I'm a slow planner, I don't want to have to do this again in 4-5 years.

7. kellory

The backer is what keeps it square, and adds strength to the shelves. You can decrease the thickness (you could even use sheet metal ) but you can not safely go without it.

ghrit likes this.
  8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Unless fixed to the wall, thus no need for the backer. Uv cuss, that eliminates the wheel idea.

9. kellory

In which case the wall itself is the backer.

10. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Here's a video from "ask this old house" where they build a storage cabinet. Yes they use a few specialty tools, but the same thing can be done with out them.

chelloveck and kellory like this.
  11. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Rotatable= Swinging Shelves that are 3 cans deep, pull from the front and put new in the back. Have the can shelves be two tier.

12. HK_User

No need for a backer if you make the frame correctly, make the frame and shelves as one, width no more than 18 inches each, I have found the best for us is 12 inches, have the two shelf assemblies swing out from the middle of the pantry cabinet on piano hinges. Double doors can be latched on the outside and end the worry of earthquake shaking or sticky hands as well as nosy neighbors.

Need more storage just add more pantry cabinets.

Both sides of the open sided shelf have a 1/2 inch edge. Make the shelves high enough to double stack your cans. If you can your garden then have quart and pint sized shelves,in the long run it saves space.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
    Ganado and chelloveck like this.
  13. HK_User

Pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Closed Front Doors of Pantry.
    1 Pantry Doors Closed.JPG

Note the Piano Hinges on the Center Shelves. Shelves are open on both sides with the ability to swing 180 degrees.
    2 Pantry Doors Opened Left Side.JPG

Right Side of Pantry
    3 Pantry Doors Opened Right Side.JPG

Center of Pantry and Two Moveable Shelves
    4 Pantry Doors Opened Both Internal Shelves.JPG

Right Shelf Swung Out to the Left and Bulk Storage Behind
    5 Pantry Doors Opened Right Side and Bulk Storage.JPG

Left Side Bulk Storage with Moveable Shelf Moved to the Right.
    6 Pantry Doors Opened Left Side Bulk Storage.JPG

Left Rear of Movable Shelf
    7 Left Side Upper Back Side of Hinged Shelves.JPG

Left Inside of Front Door and Moveable Shelf Opened to the Right.
    8 Left Side Back of Fronr Door Hinged Door Left and Right.JPG

Left Inside of Front Door and Moveable Shelves and Piano Hinge.
    9 Left Side Back of Fronr Door Hinged Door Left and Right.JPG

Detail of Front Right Top Shelf
    10 Right Upper Shelf Detail.JPG

Detail of Back of Right Top Shelf

11 Right Upper Shelf Back Detail.JPG

Right Bulk Storage
    12 Right Side Bulk Storage.JPG

Lower Left Front Door Storage
    Left Side Back of 13 Front Door and Hinged Door Lower.JPG

Upper Right Front Door Storage
    14 Right Upper Shelf Detail on Back of Front Door.JPG

Right Front Movable Storage Shelf
    15 Right Side Hinged Shelf.JPG

All Done Doors Closed
    16 Double Doors Closed.JPG

Closed Doors are your friend
    18 Closet Doors are your friends.JPG

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  14. HK_User

And never forget to save a little bit of space for that out of the way work bench inside the home.

Complete with more closed doors for those bulky items

Corner Work Bench.JPG

chelloveck and Ganado like this.
  15. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

beautiful cabinets!

16. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Consider a 1/2 inch slat and add some small diameter pipe insulation...

17. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I don't worry about impressing any one ,and I don't go showing off my stores, so I just use simple shelving and stuff things as best I can ,in a secret room.

18. HK_User

Yup, all you saw was one pantry cabinet. Just a day to day supply of goods to select from for a balanced meal. Max storage in a minimum amount of space with ease of selection and restocking. Yes sir Boss, no secrets here just a pantry.

Secret Room? I guess that means something special or are you trying to impress someone?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    Yard Dart likes this.
  19. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I don't show off my stuff.

20. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

:lol: Well, your OPSEC is blown, you already bragged on having it, so you might as well show it so the rest of us can get a new idea, maybe.
    [tng2]

HK_User, Yard Dart and Ganado like this.
  1. JC Refuge
  2. JC Refuge
  3. Dunerunner
  4. stg58
  5. duane
  6. Motomom34
  7. TnAndy
  8. Ganado
  9. Dunerunner
  10. Ganado
  11. JC Refuge
  12. JC Refuge