Storing Canned goods

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Ganado, Sep 4, 2015.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Family Hand-Me-Downs, about 35 years old. I did re varnish the out side and painted the in bulk storage in white for ease of seeing what's in the box.

Ganado likes this.
  2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Nicely done.

3. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I'd be keeping my shrunken head collection in my kitchen pantry.....

[​IMG]
    It might discourage inquisitiveness.

4. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

not too many shrunken heads... more mummified... these are shrunken...
    [​IMG]

chelloveck likes this.
  5. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

You guys never heard of secret rooms ?!!, they are all over the internet.

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Sure, but not too many people admit to having them. In fact, I've designed two of them for folks that do NOT talk about it. Those that do talk are simply telling the bad guy to keep looking, a breach of OPSEC. My point is that once someone admits to having one, pix won't make it any more of a breach. So which are you, [sarc1] a prepper or a poser? [peep]

chelloveck likes this.
  7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Pictures wouldn't rotate so you'll have to turn your computer sideways. LOL DSCN4241.JPG DSCN4240.JPG

Yard Dart, Witch Doctor 01 and Ganado like this.
  8. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

9. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Very nice storage solution!!

Ganado likes this.
  10. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

What is a secret room? never heard of one! Will have to google this strange new invention.

chelloveck and Yard Dart like this.
  11. Yard Dart

A simple but effective use of a wall...... :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    chelloveck, arleigh and DarkLight like this.
  12. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Nothing fancy here....just plain ole cabinets and well built (1" thick) shelving.

Set of pantry cabinets in the kitchen hall leading to the garage. Built these 12" deep, 8' wide, 7' tall. These hold our everyday store bought canned/paper goods

The wall behind is a double thick wall, so the bulletin board cabinet to the left is like a medicine cabinet, recessed into the wall....holds radios/keys/my everyday carry piece/flashlights/etc.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shelving inside is adjustable to height.

[​IMG]

Then, in the garage, I built a set of 12' wide x 8' tall x 20" deep cabinets for longer term storage items.....buckets/#10 cans/etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Later when I added the 'auxiliary kitchen to the back of the garage, part of it is a small walk-in pantry, mostly for home canned goods. It's 66" wide x 72" deep, with U shelving all around.
    Door to the right of the walk-in cooler door.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then on either side of the double doors going into the auxiliary kitchen, I built cabinets to hold empty canning jars, lids.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Most every home has wasted space , it's just a matter of finding and implementing it.

Yard Dart likes this.
  14. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I thought this was unique, they used curtin rods to keep the jars in..... i was in a museum in an earthquake area a few weeks ago and they did something similar with vase and pottery but they used fishing line and thin steel cables along the front of the shelves to keep things on the shelf
    [​IMG]

I love how they labeled the front edges with chalk board paint.

[​IMG]

15. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

For us on the beach in a flood/hurricane situation there is a real chance that we could have storm surge blasting through the house. So far we have been fortunate, but have seen homes with only stud walls and toilets left on their ground floors after the water receded. The fact that canned goods survived while five gallon bulk storage buckets were damaged and lost was enlightening.
    I still maintain my bulk storage, but my canned goods pantry has gone mad, taking over walls from near floor to ceiling. As quantity increases, rotation becomes more essential, and makes taco night more interesting.

16. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

[​IMG]

chelloveck and Yard Dart like this.
  17. Yard Dart

upload_2017-8-8_21-20-59.

18. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

small diameter shock cord strung across shelf fronts may help minimise accidental breakages in the event of earth tremors or some other accident.

Ganado likes this.
  19. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

[​IMG]

i like this but i keep wondering how the refrig door is opened without bumping it, it must be recessed ?

Yard Dart likes this.
  20. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

[​IMG]

1. JC Refuge
  2. JC Refuge
  3. Dunerunner
  4. stg58
  5. duane
  6. Motomom34
  7. TnAndy
  8. Ganado