Original Work Story Idea - Crosstime Invaders

Discussion in 'Survival Reading Room' started by ChrisNuttall, Oct 24, 2022.

1. ChrisNuttall

ChrisNuttall Monkey+++

A friend and I have been discussing a book/trilogy idea and I'm tossing it out here for insight/comments from the group <grin>

The basic idea, subject to possible modification, is that the modern world (specifically America, at least at first) is attacked by a crosstime invasion force roughly 80-100 years ahead of us technologically. The early attacks come from military bases shifted into the alternate timeline (ours) as Grantville and Nantucket were shifted in 1632 and ISOT respectively; given time and resources, they can build gates that allow more regular Conquistador-like travel (although still subject to various logistic limitations). This is something akin to the Spanish Conquest of the Aztecs, with the enemy CO deciding to push ahead and try to conquer large swathes of America and basing it on a very subjective reading of his orders. His goal is to take control of as much as possible of our society, which will allow him to rise in ours.

(A rough analogue would be the WW2 militaries going up against the modern 1 st Marine Division, but with the latter cut off from resupply for several months.)

From our point of view, an enemy town-sized FOB has just appeared in the US (like a War of the Worlds cylinder) and turned into a massive threat.

How do you think this situation would play out?

The invaders aren't all-powerful, but they are tough – perversely, basic weapons work better against them than more advanced gear. They're also relatively few in number – they can dominate anywhere within reach of their guns, but not so much elsewhere. They think they can take control of society, inserting themselves at the top, but they won't hesitate to knock it flat if they think they have no other choice.

We don't think there's any large body of Americans who would switch sides to join the invaders, unlike Tlaxcalans in the Cortes/Aztec war (although the invaders might be confused by our political infighting and later try to manipulate things to trigger chaos). Given time, unfriendly countries might sign up; so too might individuals who want to see if they can come out on top and/or get bribed/threatened into joining the invaders. (For example, a congressman whose daughter needs lifesaving medicine or one who's been really naughty and will do anything to keep it concealed.

What do you think?

2. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

David Drake said it best some time back - "Military SciFi is dead"

It died with the draft.

You don't see books like Team Yankee selling anymore, let alone Hammers Slammers..

I tried. I sold some books, but not in the numbers of the World of the Chernyi series.

Good luck, but you are looking at a meme, IMO, whose time has gone.
    Good luck, you'll need it.

3. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

I don't know about that @DKR , but then I am a old guy.
    I just finished reading "The Old Man's War" and enjoyed it. But then, I am using Amazon for purchases far less frequently. Both you and Chris's works are great and I find myself rereading them, and I will buy both of your works again, however, I am just one person.
    I wonder just how much the younger gen's are reading anything other than Memes today.
    Given the times we all are living in, I have even refocused what I am reading.

DKR likes this.
  4. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

I buy em and enjoy em... thanks for putting it out there...

5. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Yes.

When I post thigs on other boards, I've found that videos that show "do better" than text that explains. AS a technical writers, this saddens me. not because of an impact to possible work - I'm retired now - but that so few read and can comprehend what is written.

Critical thinking died a long time ago....

Zimmy, duane and Dont like this.
  6. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I like the concept Chris, but how about the alternate timeline builds a gate but it can only be sustained for short intervals due to changes n the time space continuum. Invasion begins slowly with the infiltration of major governments. Wait, has this already happened??

Anyway, you get my drift... No outright war, but a twisted re-engineering of our society in an effort to save their future world.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7