Stove for less than a buck

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by DKR, Nov 25, 2011.

1. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

SDC10348-1.

Used with Trangia military burner

th_SDC10353.
    Can be used with Streno

th_SDC10346.

Folds flat

th_SDC10350.
    '
    Holds pots and USGI canteen cup

Made from a single roofing repair square of sheet metal, $.0.78 for the home depot.

SDC10346.

Make you own, use with windscreen.

Fun!

2. beast

beast backwoodsman

now that is a sweet setup, thanks

dragonfly likes this.
  3. DKR

Thanks

Thanks. The windscreen was picked up in the mid-70s The 'hard' part is to measure distance from burner top to bottom of pot//cup. Mine is 1.75 inches and seems to work well.

With windscreen in place aroind by Soloist pot set. Designed for use with military surplus Trangia burner, works fine with Sterno canned fuel.

SDC10352.

dragonfly likes this.
  4. falmike

falmike Monkey+

very nice

5. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Only thing I'd mod would be to round off those sharp corners on the stove panels! Good basic design!

6. DKR

THanks

Yup. The photo is of the prototype to fine tune the height above the burner...

Thanks for the kind words.

7. beast

beast backwoodsman

its made of light sheet so it wont be a lot to pack around either
    i like that, all it needs now is a sock or bag to tote it in

8. DKR

It sits in the folds of the wind screen, which has its own bag. Very compact setup.

Thank you for the kind words.

9. ddowell73

ddowell73 Monkey+

I find sterno problematic....;

10. DKR

Yup - Sterno gets no love

I built the stove (pot holder/windscreen, really) for use with a mulsurp Trangia burner - and since the burner and a large can of Sterno are the same size... Just another choice you can make.

The Trangia burner works great on my folding sterno stove. I bought a set of the stoves and burners for the kids as an in-home alternate for a short term power outage. Or car camping.

Thanks for looking at the post.

11. Huntinbull

Huntinbull Monkey+

12. DKR

So long as the burner sits about 1 3/4 inches under your pot, it should be fine. Too close and it will lose efficiency. I also recommend use of a wind screen.

13. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

A bunch of us from the board were on a survival camping weekend a while back, Seawolfe was there. One of the guys spent all afternoon making one of those penny stoves; it didn't work nearly as well as he had hoped.

14. DKR

Alcohol stoves are fiddely (if that is even a word) that's why I spent a few bucks and purchased a nice solid brass Trangia. I have seen the web pages on the stoves, and most indicated the need for a few passes to get everything just 'right'.

I like alcohol stoves for many reasons. Quiet, nearly odor free, safe and so on. In extreme cold, they are lacking in the high heat output found in pressurized white gas/kero stoves. Still, there is the 'fun factor' for DIY equipment.

15. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

The "fun factor" for me was emptying all those BUD aluminum bottles. I keep a couple of these stoves in the different packs along with alcohol justincase.

16. DKR

LOL
    Fun indeed.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7