Strange stuff in the desert - Utah

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DKR, Aug 4, 2017.

1. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Perhaps this is why 5 Attacks on U.S. Soil During World War II - History Lists

"The only attack on a mainland American military site during World War II occurred on June 21, 1942, on the Oregon coastline. After trailing American fishing vessels to bypass minefields, the Japanese submarine I-25 made its way to the mouth of the Columbia River. It surfaced near Fort Stevens, an antiquated Army base that dated back to the Civil War. Just before midnight, I-25 used its 140-millimeter deck gun to fire 17 shells at the fort. Believing that the muzzle flashes of the fort’s guns would only serve to more clearly reveal their position, the commander of Fort Stevens ordered his men not to return fire. The plan worked, and the bombardment was almost totally unsuccessful—a nearby baseball field bore the brunt of the damage.

I-25 would later make history again when it executed the first-ever bombing of the continental United States by an enemy aircraft. In what became known as the Lookout Air Raids, I-25 returned to the Oregon coast in September 1942 and launched a Yokosuka E14Y floatplane. After flying to a wooded area near Brookings, Oregon, the floatplane dropped a pair of incendiary bombs in the hope of starting a forest fire. Thanks to light winds and a quick response from fire patrols, the bombing failed to have its desired effect, as did a second bombing over Brookings later that month. The pilot of the Japanese floatplane, Nobuo Fujita, would later make several goodwill visits to Brookings during the 1960s, and was even proclaimed an honorary citizen of the town upon his death in 1997."​

chelloveck likes this.
  1. Modus Operandi
  2. Murfylang
  3. Flight-ER-Doc
  4. Gafarmboy
  5. HK_User
  6. Dunerunner
  7. DKR
  8. DKR
  9. HK_User
  10. HK_User
  11. Legion489
    [IMG]
    Thread by: Legion489, Jun 13, 2017, 8 replies, in forum: Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions
  12. 3M-TA3
  13. Mountainman
  14. Ganado
  15. Yard Dart
  16. Brokor
  17. pearlselby
  18. Minuteman
  19. RightHand
  20. Brokor
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7