Streamlight Pen light (Stylus)

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Sherman, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Sherman

Sherman Dog Eat Dog

I have had this little light for at least 5 yrs and love it.
    its a single LED and 3 AAAA batts. comes w/ a light shield for more directional light control. Which I like, I'm big on using low, focused light so I don't present a big signature. I think I have changed the batteries 1x, pretty good considering I used this light alot the first 2yrs in harsh duty environments. I paired it w/ a streamlight stinger. Speaking of harsh environment I have put this little light thru the wash 2x.
    there is a momentary push button switch on the end and you twist the light to keep it on. This light sells for about $15. I hold it in my mouth when both hands needed. It doesn't project light far but is bright and will give enough light to navigate a room, check equipment or perform paperwork.

I'd like to get a few more of these.
    Amazon.com: Streamlight 65018 Stylus 6-1/4-Inch Penlight with Pocket Clip and White LED, Black: Elton John: Home…

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2015
  2. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

Good idea. I usually have one in my pocket whenever I leave the house.
    A few years ago, I was in a truck stop and the electricity was out.
    They didn't have any emergency lighting in the men's room and I was the only one that could see what he was doing and more importantly, where he was doing it!

3. Sherman

Sherman Dog Eat Dog

I got a red led in addition to my white.

4. XR750

XR750 Monkey+

I have had a few of them I always loose them. I have never worn out the light. I have worn out the switch Batterys can be hard to find.

5. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Wow, 'AAAA' batteries. I am glad one could take apart a 9v to get these babies.

6. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I used the same one when inputting people into HIIDEs in theater. It worked great. If only they would fix the screen on the stinking HIIDEs so you can see it in the daylight[dunno]

7. Sherman

Sherman Dog Eat Dog

I have no problem finding the AAAA batts here, the hardware store 3 blocks away, Safeway, CVS, etc. I don't like a light that doesnt use off the shelf batts. I have a light w/ 70hr burn time but uses some stinking batts similar too cr123's and can never find replacements.

8. XR750

XR750 Monkey+

Sherman I have the opposite problem I can find CR123 at wally world safeway Fred myers Rite aid for my sure fire light with out trouble. But I have to look at interstate Battery stores for the AAAA bats. I used to find them at fryes elctronics in the southwest.

9. SpecWar

SpecWar Monkey+

I have found mine at Radio Shack. Not the cheapest, but they do have them.

10. Sherman

Sherman Dog Eat Dog

I found a great deal on the 4A batts on amazon about $3 for 6, I stocked up. I also picked up a streamlight Nano, this is a tiny keychain led light. Just over 1 " long, It uses watch type batts, 9 hrs runtime, 10 lumens, weatherproof and only about $7. Surprisingly bright for it's size, I liked it so much I ordered another for my wife. great filler item when trying to qualify for free shp on amazon.
    Since this review I also got a streamlight enduro headlamp, very light, compact, hi/lo, uses 2 4A batts. not the brightest but I prefer battery life to brightness, SHTF batts will be a premium and bright lights will give you away when trying to be discrete. Also a streamlight twin task led 1 AA.
    Can you tell I like streamlight?How I got hooked... After destroying about 1/2 doz maglights etc (including cutting 1 in 1/2 oops) and losing even more I got a a streamlight stinger rechargeble with a spare batt and ac/dc charger I retired all my other lights. powerful enough for the job and small enough to fit in a pocket and oblivious to the elements and my abuse.

11. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I've worn the finish off a couple Streamlight Stylus flashlights. Just when they look really well loved I'll drop them through the deck or build them into some inaccessable part of a car. It's like losing a trusted friend. The Stylus has been part of my work uniform for at least 10 years. With the Stylus in my shirt pocket and a Photon micro light on a retractable tether on my belt I am never lacking for illumination.

I think I average one battery change every 18 months or so. I've had no trouble finding batteries at drug stores or jewelry counters that carry hearing aid batteries. I am going to have to disect a 9v battery now, just to see if I can. Thanks Brokor. (Update: Six of the little AAAA's inside the 9v, and installed upside down from the standard AAAA batteries they work great with only a small spacer required on the switch spring.)

I have found that there are two lengths of AAAA batteries. Energizers seem to be the correct length, but I ran into some from Batteries Plus that were shorter, and would not make contact with both end contacts. Check new brands of batteries length against known good ones before you buy.

HD

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7