Stretching, it's important

Discussion in 'Survival of the Fittest' started by Rocky Road Lerp, Nov 3, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Rocky Road Lerp

Rocky Road Lerp Monkey+++

Old, young, middle-aged like me, stretching should be incorporated in your life. No matter what kind of shape you're in, a commitment to stretching will help your body and your mind. I recently started training after an injury hiatus, and wasn't surprised at my loss of mobility. I was pleasantly shocked at how good I "feel" after getting through the first couple weeks. You can find any way you want to stretch with yoga, Pilates, martial arts(my choice), you just have to make it routine and get through the soreness. Good luck, and feel better.

Stretching: Focus on flexibility - Mayo Clinic

2. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

oryou can do tai chi with @Hanzo ;)

3. Sonofason

Sonofason Monkey

Excellent point. Stretching and proper hydration(if possible) are hugely undervalued in my opinion. Learned quite a few tips from the link. Thanks bud

4. Rocky Road Lerp

It's a start(y)

Gator 45/70 and Ganado like this.
  5. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Stretching is vital. What good is strength or speed, if you don't have any range of motion?
    One thing I picked up over the years is not to bounce a stretch. That triggers a defensive reflex that tightens the ligaments for a while. One long slow stretch held for a count of six or longer works much better. Then relax & repeat.

techsar, Gator 45/70 and Ganado like this.
  6. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

For soccer and martial arts, it's warm up, dynamic stretching first then static stretching.

7. Rocky Road Lerp

Bouncing will get you hurt. The only force stretch I agree with is when someone has been on verge of doing the splits for awhile and needs a little "help" getting all the way down. Anyone who has ever pulled a groin knows how long that takes to heal. So stretching, like any work out, in my opinion, should be controlled.

Sonofason and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Most people, I've noticed, seem to start their workouts with a good stretch--when they're all nice and cold. That's the worst possible time to stretch. A good run or some hard exercise first is a much better idea. Do your stretching after your warm-up, not as your warm-up.

Ganado likes this.
  9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I have never heard of this. You are suggesting exercise first then stretch. I would think that would cause injury.

1. Alanaana
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Home_gym

I love my home gym!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 27, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
    Media

Jungle_gym

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 27, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  4. Alanaana
  5. Alanaana
    Foot hooping
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jan 28, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  8. Alanaana
    Alleyjandra loves to workout!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Dec 4, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  9. Alanaana
    Alleyjandra has life figured out!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  10. Alanaana
  11. Alanaana
  12. Alanaana
  13. Alanaana
  14. Alanaana
  15. wideym
  16. Yard Dart
  17. The_Prepared
  18. hot diggity
  19. Dont
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7