Stuff for Granted?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gator 45/70, Apr 6, 2023.

1. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I always thought cigarette lighter flints and wicks would be carried just about anywhere baaahhaa...
    Not seeing it says the blindman.
    Been to at least 4 places and only one has a complete understanding what the hell a flint is?
    Anyone else seeing things we take for granted are slowly going away..not counting common sense.
    Like 2 lady's today that were completely baffled as what makes a lighter function other than its magic sprinkled with pixie dust on the side?

SB21, Dunerunner, Gray Wolf and 11 others like this.
  2. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Used to think justice and the law applied to everyone equally...

Used to think men were men and women were women... still do, but sometimes questionable for some. At least I still know what a woman IS and what a man should be. And I'm not a scientist or doctor. Although I have been called "doctor" by some.

SB21, Dunerunner, Gray Wolf and 7 others like this.
  3. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Back in my smoking days (luckily, 18+ years in the past), I used to keep my eye out for discarded butane throwaway lighters. They run out of fuel, and get tossed.
    Pull the shiny metal guard off, and carefully pry the flint wheel holders apart, and you'll usually find a flint, under the spark wheel, that's at least 1/4" long. (y)

As far as for Zippo fluid, Walmart's your best bet. Amazon should carry the wicks.

4. mechstdr

mechstdr patriotic grease monkey

Everything nowadays is totally disposable, you don't fix anything anymore, just throw it away when done. just think, things like bic lighters or even that Tovala thing for making your meals, no dishes, no stove, looks better than tv dinners, if it breaks just throw it away, no fuss no muss. but if anything goes wrong they're screwed, can't fix their way out of a paper bag, if you can't fix it you don't need spare parts, even something as simple as a lighter flint is beyond most people. you, I, and others here will be all right but the others, the wolves will take care of them, the sheeple!

SB21, Dunerunner, Gray Wolf and 5 others like this.
  5. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

I often wonder who will fix the power lines when the storms come thru 10-20 years from now.

mechstdr, SB21, VisuTrac and 3 others like this.
  6. sasquatch91

sasquatch91 Monkey+++

I got a garage full of junk, alot of it dont work but makes good parts to fix other junk.

mechstdr, Capt. Tyree, SB21 and 5 others like this.
  7. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

@CraftyMofo

Mexicans. They have grown very technical in the skilled trades down here. Often with generations of experience in a craft.

Kinda like Americans used to do...

mechstdr, SB21, Dunerunner and 7 others like this.
  8. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

I use fountain pens and vintage Gillette razors. The stapler I have in my desk is twice as old as me. It's my protest against the disposable age we are living in. Remembering the craftsmen we had, where even mundane things were manufactured with skill and pride, and lasted for generations.

mechstdr, SB21, Cruisin Sloth and 4 others like this.
  9. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

I can remember my father would not through anything away without first taking it apart and trying to fix it, granted things were made so much better not the plastic crap produced now. Gears were made of metal not plastic, housing metal and made in the USA by a generation of craftsmen and people who took pride in their work. I have fallowed in my father foot steps and if a can't fix it, I hold on to it for a while before giving it the heave ho. Fixed a $2600 LG refrigerator with a bad compressor (LG design flaw) installed an old school single stage compressor (bullet proof) cost 250 bucks. LG repair said buy a new refrigerator. Passed on to my sons try and fix before shit canning it. I have friend couldn't fix his way out of a paper bag he has the money now to buy a new one when something breaks but he'll be up the creek when the SHTF and our dollar is worthless

mechstdr, Capt. Tyree, SB21 and 5 others like this.
  10. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Strike anywhere wood matches are hard to find, too. Amazon may have lighter flints, but I haven't looked.

mechstdr, SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Local gas station has flints, fluid, pouches of tobacco and rolling papers. But the rolling papers seem to be the hot seller.

mechstdr, SB21, Dunerunner and 2 others like this.
  12. sasquatch91

sasquatch91 Monkey+++

My ford blew a spark plug, took the ytreads with it, shop wanted 500 bucks. I bought the kit for 300 and have it for future use.

mechstdr, SB21, Dunerunner and 3 others like this.
  13. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Reminds me of a JD mower the boy drug in here years ago with the deck removed.
    Seems a belt pully bearing had taken a dump on the owner and he wanted to remove the bearing and pully and replace it.
    Boom!!!! breaks the 3/8th bolt off into the deck....damn it he says and throws everything into the bushes?
    Along comes the boy 2 years later and talks the owner out of the whole she-bang.
    Like I said earlier drags it here.
    I attempted to remove the broken bolt with a easy-out...no luck its not giving.
    I'm like okay new sheriff in town I drill out the whole mess
    Get a new bearing w/pully and a long 3/8 bolt w/self locking nut.
    Put this all together and off we go!!!
    I cut grass around here for a number of years before the JD deck rusted out enough for me to can it.
    Moral of the story, JD mower decks are the weakest link on this product.

mechstdr, SB21, sasquatch91 and 2 others like this.
  14. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Ah, good old Triton engine. Sure hope that repair kit has enough inserts for all the rest of the cylinders. I'd check to make sure that all of the other spark plugs are not loose as they will the next to eject from the head.

15. sasquatch91

sasquatch91 Monkey+++

Yea, #8 was done beforei.bought the truck, i went ahead and did # 15 6 and 7. Good ol cal van kit. Trucks got 265k on it. Still ticking along

16. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Cuz CHINA ,, CHINA
    Sloth

mechstdr, Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  17. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I bought the same kit ,, did the #8 cylinder myself .

Had a buddy of mine in Ga. a few years ago ,, blew a plug out, said he was gonna fix it himself with some screwball kit that didn't even sound like it made sense . I drove down the next day just to fix that cylinder , and keep him from ruining his motor . He thought I was full of crap till he seen how the alignment of the drillbit was essential,, plus the shavings removal .

Strange thing ,, when I bought my kit ,, it only came with 7 inserts .

18. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Thread-sert kit ?

Sloth

SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  19. sasquatch91

sasquatch91 Monkey+++

Cal van insert kit 38900. Dorman makes a kit, its junk, helicoils are junk to

20. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Rural King has them, and I have a couple of thousand stored in a sealed metal can.

SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7