SUBJECT : SURVIVAL themed TV Programming & a new Book...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wildernessgal, Jun 2, 2008.

Tags:
  1. wildernessgal

wildernessgal Backwoods is a callin'

Hey guys!

We aren't BIG on watching TV ~ but a friend of ours (who has satellite tv)was convinced that we would LOVE these 2 different shows on THE DISCOVERY CHANNEL and has recorded a few episodes for our viewing pleasure only!lol

The 1st one is called : THE ALASKA EXPERIMENT

and the 2nd one is called : MAN VS WILD

Now THE ALASKA EXPERIMENT is exactly what I expected "stupid city folk running around like chickens with their heads cut off in a new big bad environment" a lot of things are sensationalized to make for an even more extremely exciting show! It's actually quite funny at times! ha,ha,ha In one episode they talk about "HOW WILD IT IS" and that their location is so remote/untouched by man... So we found it to be quite amusing when they had shown this one group of folks walking to their remote cabin through the woods on a seriously wore down atv trail!?!?!?! LOL [lolol][lolol][lolol] Overall I don't think that "most" people could truly survive (left on their own) as mentally they are "too weak" minded, and come from a very lazy/censored from reality sorta lifestyle. They have no idea of what it takes to truly survive!!!

This show has been fun (especially viewing the INCREDIBLE WILDERNESS BACKDROP). Hubbie (OGM) and I have laughed a lot 'cause we know they'd never pick people who are truly into the outdoors/survival for that show, as it would make it a complete SNORE-BORE , if ya know what I mean! ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]

MAN VS. WILD is more about SURVIVAL as they drop this guy (named Bear Grylls) off in the middle of no where with his camera team. Thus far we've seen 2 different episodes.... the one where he's in the Sierra Nevada Mountains ( <-- he bites the head off of a snake and eats it raw for a healthy wild meal ha,ha ~ I'm surprised PETA or some of those modern tree-hugging critter extremists haven't gotten this show taken off of the air??!!!) and then another episode filmed in Sumatra. One of our favorite parts of this show was when he was in the middle of the swamp and a huge lizard shows up. Bear (<--that's the name of the guy who was in the British Army Special Forces ) grabs this over-sized lizard by the tail and strategically swings it round and round (above his head) slamming the lizard's head into a tree (knocking it out) and has a FRESH LIZARD FOR DINNER!!!!! [clp] Gotta LOVE IT!!!!!

Here are a few links regarding the guy from the latter described show above...

Just thought I'd post the above info. in case some of you weren't aware of them/may be interested... Also has anyone here seen these shows, if so what were your thoughts?

Also, like I said before... my family & I aren't big on TV. Are there any other shows out there of interest kinda along the same subjectlines to share with all of the MONKEYS? If so feel free to share, and bring them up here. Have a beautiful day y'all, and don't watch too much tv or you'll end up outta condition for when T.S.H.T.F. ! [chopper]

Sincerely,

~Wildernessgal~

P.S.- Btw, has anyone had a looksey @ Bear Grylls new SURVIVAL BOOK titled:

'Man Vs Wild: Survival Techniques from the Most Dangerous Places on Earth' ?

Just thought I'd ask and see what people were thinkin' bout it ~ "THUMB'S UP" or a "ROYALLY SUCKS" ?! ha,ha ~W~

2. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

I've seen alotof bear gryyls, he was recently embroiled in a controversy and caught spending nights in a hotel; So the show has a disclaimer about bear doing things specifically to demonstrate them. He's big on eating wood grubs and raw fish. He's also big on doing really dangerous stuff for liittle apparent reason: As in ( in a mild british accent)" I've come along to this 150 foot tall waterfall,I'm going to show you how to climb down using this gora-gora vine...
    His Canadian alter ego Les Stroud ( aka "survivorman" does the same kind of stuff,so its hard to blame him. TV ratings being what they are )infact there are "bears vs les" forums about on the net where teenage boys argue bear "beats" les or vice versa..( my "survivor dude" beats your "survivor dude".)
    I like these guys, bear jumps into nowhere with a canteen and cup, knife, "swedish" fire steel and a camera crew...Les usually does the same but without the camera crew and video's himself.
    So he's carrying more and running around setting and collecting cameras.

3. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I've seen a few of the episodes and tend to agree. They tend to take STUPID risks that if a person were actualy in that situation (without a whole crew to airlift you out if there is any problems) would be pretty sure to have you dead within days. Body sleding down mountains (rather than walking), free climbing waterfalls (rather than going around), shooting rapids while holding onto a log rather than walking, etc. That poor of decision makeing tends to make me question any info they offer since if they take that stupid of risks with no need then I figure they are the type who would chow down on puffer fish like it was safe when the SLIGHTEST mistake in preparation makes it more deadly than scyanide or would advocate drinking untreated water from an open sewer as healthy.

4. wildernessgal

---------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, I hear what you're sayin'... but you also have to think that if it's gonna be on tv it must have entertainment value. So that'll probably explain some of it.

It just amazes me though, that all of a sudden there are "SURVIVAL-themed Shows" ... even talk on news and in newspaper about "BEING PREPARED" ~ promoting stocking up on food, picking the right generator, and etc. I've never really seen that until recently. Wow the world is a changin' for sure huh? I know that back in 2002 the older couple next door thought that was "crazy stuff" (the guy who owned our place before us was big on survivalism/preparedness & brought up some of his many thoughts to them) 'cause he gave 'em a lot of his books before moving away. (<-- she proudly bragged how herself/her hubbie burned all of his crazy stuff/had a huge bonfire with it all!) He (<--the guy who use to live out here) also had the underground shelter rigged with a set-up which went to a hidden hand-dug well as a water source.

But anyway (where was I?)... Oh yeah, now if you talk to our neighbor/her hubbie, she talks in a different sorta way... says she "worries about the future", "food" "gas prices" and so on.... it was only 6 years ago when I first met 'em and whilst talking (trying to get to know 'em/pick their brains a bit) that I said something to the effect of "something could happen in the future.... "She said, nothing bad could happen in our country, it's the good ol' U.S. of A.!?!?!?! I guess that now all of these things are getting more and more acceptable because the changes are much more noticeable/obvious and greatly affecting everyone's life.

Back to the ORIGINAL SUBJECT of my post/thread...

If anything, we'll probably end up with a bunch of

EVEL KNIEVEL [sheep]SHEEPLE [sheep]

~ due to our highly entertaining, new & improved survival themed television programming & MONKEY-SEE MONKEY DOO-DOO Syndrome! LOL [LMAO] [rofllmao][rofllmao][rofllmao] [LMAO]

~W~

P.S.- While watching "Man vs Wild" my family and I were questioning some of it, and wondering "why?" ( <--he made some of the choices he did) but it still made for some FUN WATCHIN' compared to the usual other junk we've seen when we occaisionally turn on the tv.

[​IMG]http://nonais.org/

5. monkeyman

Yeah, its entertaining and CAN give some food for thought, I just would not take any of the tactics from it as reliable info (like it trys to present it as) unless had well vetted the info elsewhere. I know on some of them I have watched he also liked to try to grab fish or spear them but never bothered to make gourge hooks and set up trot lines or use sticks and make fish traps and camp there for the night to get food. For that matter dont recall haveing seen them set up anything in the way of traps around camp to try to catch food over night.

6. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Les ("survivorman") usually carves up a figure four dead fall or sets up a few snares.between the occasional ground squirrel/chipmunk , snakes, frogs and turtles or snails he eats something foraged.
    *"I've seen one episode where bear drank his own unpurified urine**literally pissed into his canteen,I ( and my RN wife) are pretty sure that's a potentially fatal(???)bit of misinformation to be passing out.( but it was more extreme than squeezing liquid out of elephant or hippo dung directly into his mouth the previous week)!!Also seen him split open a dead camel and drink( scoop double handfuls of) the liquids from its digestive tract.

7. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

here's some "good" stuff...bear'sblog:
    http://beargrylls.blogspot.com/

Saturday, 26 April 2008

[​IMG]

Have had a bit of an epic on the last two shoots in Mexico and the Deep Southern swamps!

The first shoot I got whopped by some bees whilst raiding a nest to get honey. Hence the photo here. (although I did get the honey!)

But it meant that I had to spend the rest of the shoot looking like this, feeling terrible and only able to open my eyes with much effort.

It made fighting a big pit viper rattlesnake interesting! (Although I did eventually get it. I then could eat it, and then use its skin to store my urine in whilst in the burning hot salt pan desert. (The cocktail of snake innards and pee was truly terrible!)

I was then in the swamps - these are always the toughest shows to do- and I did end up having a pretty full-on encounter with a 6ft alligator. I came out on top, just, skinned it for cordage for my camp to sleep in, rubbed the alligator fat on me for mosquito repellant and then ate it.

In short, I am looking forward to a bit of a holiday with my family next week!

Bear x
    Posted by Bear at <a class="timestamp-link" href="http://beargrylls.blogspot.com/2008/04/i-have-had-bit-of-epic-on-last-two.html" rel="bookmark" title="permanent link"><abbr class="published" title="2008-04-26T19:10:00Z">19:10</abbr> Links to this post [​IMG]

EYES SWOLLEN SHUT, theres' a poor (a deadly) condition to be in while in a "survival"situation. Call that one "failed"???

8. monkeyman

At least from my understanding you CAN drink your own urine for about so long before it becomes detrimental as long as you are not infected but it wont be nearly as benificial as clean water and after it has cycled through a couple times its worse than drinking nothing.

9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

DO NOT do that if you KNOW you have a bladder or urinary tract infection. Probably fatal results.

10. wildernessgal

Consuming urine/critter liquids from the digestive tract...

------------------------------------------------------

Hey TANGO,

Obviously you are not aware of it, but many people drink their own urine for health benifits, and YOU WILL NOT DIE FROM IT!

It's the age-old practice called URINE THERAPY.

Also on the subject of URINE... I knew an old woman who worked for me back in the 90's, she was from Spain. This woman was incredible and full of old time wisdom. I always use to ask her "why her skin was so beautiful" ( <--for an older woman) looked as soft/young as a baby... Do you know what she told me????? She told me that every morning she would take her 1st urine of the day (drink it) and apply it to her face (not washing it off at all), then another thing she'd do was get fresh semen from her husband and rub it on her face before she went to bed every single night. I swear that this is the truth and she was dead serious about it/not lying... she was always trying to convince me to do it. lol It was her family tradition/wisdom passed down from generation to generation.... At the time I didn't have someone special & I wasn't willing to collect samples from men either!ha,ha ( <--regarding the semen skin treatment)ha,ha But I will also say that I was daring and tried her other comments a few times, and it wasn't as big of a deal as I had thought. Let's just say that I don't have much time to waste and never did continue with this daily ritual (what can I say ~ I'm a plain jane type ha,ha)

As for liquids from the digestive tracts of animals being consumed during survival tv programming... that's nothing new at all & man use to live off of that stuff! I've always been into PRIMITIVE/TRADITONAL DIETS (<-- researching why people were healthier back then compared to now....) well you should read more about HOW PEOPLE USE TO EAT~ GREAT Survival Stuff!

A real good book is

Nutrition & Physical Degeneration by Weston A. Price
    http://www.soilandhealth.org/02/0203CAT/020305ppnf/PPNF.HTML

Also here are a few AWESOME articles of interest....

OF GUTS AND GREASE ~ THE DIETS OF THE NATIVE AMERICANS
    http://www.westonaprice.org/traditional_diets/native_americans.html

***Here's an excerpt or two (below) from the above article:

"According to John (Fire) Lame Deer, the eating of guts had evolved into a contest. "In the old days we used to eat the guts of the buffalo, making a contest of it, two fellows getting hold of a long piece of intestines from opposite ends, starting chewing toward the middle, seeing who can get there first; that’s eating. Those buffalo guts, full of half-fermented, half-digested grass and herbs, you didn’t need any pills and vitamins when you swallowed those."

and...

"Certain parts of the animal were considered appropriate cuisine for men or women. The male organs were for the men, as well as the ribs towards the front, which were called "the shoulder ribs, or the boss ribs. They are considered a man’s special meal." For women, a part of the "intestine that is quite large and full of manure
    . . ."

CAVEMAN CUISINE
    http://www.westonaprice.org/traditional_diets/caveman_cuisine.html

and here's some more reading , if it interests anyone

http://www.westonaprice.org/traditional_diets/index.html

Other than that have a wonderful evening everyone, and remember that our modern world is very very different from our past... (promoting YOU DO LESS FOR YOURSELF for the $$$$$ making big business world) and if it were so bad/so dangerous and so on (blah, blah,blah)...

We ( <---MAN) wouldn't be alive/exist in this world today! ;)

Sincerely,

~Wildernessgal~

[​IMG]http://nonais.org/

P.S.- I don't if know if you know this or not but " My Goatman" (OGM) was involved in modern medicine when he was in the Navy... basically to make a long loooong story short, he use to give vacs & etc. and for several years after his leaving we don't believe in much of that modern medicine stuff at all/anymore. Years ago he took a Master Herbalist course, and we practice a lot of preventative medicine, and have changed our diets greatly (not eating modern processed foods).

Our most favorite cookbooks ever are the following (everyone who claims to be into survivalism should have them):

NOURISHING TRADITIONS
    by Author Sally Fallon
    [​IMG]

and

PRESERVING FOOD WITHOUT FREEZING OR CANNING
    By the Gardeners & Farmers of Terre Vivante

[​IMG]

P.P.S.- Btw, Flu shots don't work, but YELLOW DOCK does! OGM makes a wonderful homemade tincture from the wildcrafted plants we harvest here in the backwoods and we use it as a preventative. Trust me it works!

11. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

You and ogm really need to collect your knowledge and write a few books.....

I'll look into it, we had a Philipino guy in my shop in the af who grew up on the streets of manilla and swore by peeing on his feet for "athletes foot" and other infections..so its "possibul"

I don't think I'll be able to convince the wife of the efficacy of going to sleep looking lik a "glazed doughnut though!"lol

1. DKR
  2. Motomom34
  3. Motomom34
  4. Kamchuka
  5. CATO
  6. Motomom34
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7