Submitted another Form 1

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by wideym, Feb 23, 2019.

1. wideym

wideym Monkey+++

I submitted another SBS Form 1 (mailed off) on Feb 14 and the $200.00 personal check has already been cashed sometime between then and the 20th. The last Form 1 was fast enough, but I've had all sorts of people tell me that it will take twice as long if not longer due to the government shutdown.

I suspect it take the same amount of time if not less. I typed in all the information before printing it, instead of hand writing it. This will be my third SBS. The first ones were a Maverick 88 (I prefer the trigger guard safety) and a Rem 870, the newest one is an Ithaca 37. I've already dropped it off for engraving and hopefully soon work on the barrel.

Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Supposedly the machine gun, DD and silencer related form 1 and form 4 paperwork takes the longest and that SBR and SBS related manufacture and transfers go through pretty quick.

Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

My last form 1 was 7 months, and form 4 was 10 months! Both times they cashed the check within 2 months!

Tully Mars, 3M-TA3 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Technically once the cash it your manufactured NFA is legal.
    The tax stamped form 1 or form 4 is the recipe.
    Because when some is charged with an an unregistered one they get them for not paying the tax and not registering it.
    Well they cashed the check so the tax is paid, you sent in all the shit and it has a serial number so it's registered.

Gator 45/70, tacmotusn and Bandit99 like this.
  5. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I am considering doing the forms for my first time to purchase two (2) SBRs. Nope, never done it before. Things have gotten so insane as of late that I feel I want a short rifle even though I really don't have space in the safe for one, much less two. However, when Rep. Omar shows outright hated for this country or Rep. AOC speaks complete nonsense, or Senator Warren and Senator Harris support reparations...well, like most, it scares me and a nice handy SBR certainly couldn't hurt.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Do a SBR and Suppressor @Bandit99 instead of a pair of SBR's much more handy, and you can then swap uppers around and not have any issues!

Tully Mars, Gator 45/70 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  7. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Whoa whoa whoa ….

from form 1. (bolding is mine)

3. Approval of Application. Upon approval of an application, the NFA Division will affix the NFA tax stamp (if any) to the application, cancel it, and return the approved copy to the maker. The approval of the application effectuates registration of the firearm to the maker; however, the firearm must not be made until the applicant has been approved.

Attached Files:

Tully Mars and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

how sbs is sbs?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. Bandit99

I was sort of hoping to get the wife a SBR also...which brings up a question. So, if I go through all the admin to get a SBR would my wife, legally, even be able to shoot it?

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  10. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Shoot it, yes, Possess it, No... Unless you put it in an NFA Trust, and you both were Trustees...

Tully Mars, Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  11. wideym

wideym Monkey+++

Trusts' used to be the best choice, until the recent changes. Since they have done away with the LEO authorization, now only notification, and included the rule that everyone in the trust must have fingerprint and photos submitted, a simple non-trust Form 1 is the way to go. The Youtube channel Forgotten Weapons has a fantastic episode about finding grandpa's old WWII machinegun in the attic and how to deal with it and also relates to all NFA weapons and items. Simply put, as an heir or your heirs, can submit a Form 5 to have them transferred tax free and they do not have to be turned into the police or a dealer as long as it is submitted in a timely fashion (they stated within six months of disposition of the will or court proceedings I belive).

On the plus side, my niece gets a handful (or armload) of NFA weapons with her uncles name on them to pass on to any children she may have or she can sell them on the cheap to an NFA dealer after I'm gone.

Tully Mars, Bandit99 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  12. Bandit99

@wideym I was reading a bit about Trusts yesterday as just got interested (as I stated) in owning a SBR. So, you think it is sort of a waste of time to go through setting up a Trust now?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  13. wideym

wideym Monkey+++

The only upside of a trust might be that members of the trust can take possession of the NFA weapon or item at anytime, although I was told by an NFA dealer that if an NFA trust member takes permanent possession (has primary custody of weapon or item at another address) then you must amend the stamp paperwork with the BATFE to reflect it. You will not have to re-submit the paperwork or pay another $200 stamp or other fee though.

Also, the BATFE will not issue a new tax stamp for a currently valid stamp, nor will they issue a replacement stamp for one that is lost, stolen, or otherwise. They will send you a photo copy of the original as a replacement.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. wideym

wideym Monkey+++

Sent off another Form 1 today. This one is a short barreled rifle, a Century RAS47 pistol with a 10" barrel. Let's see how long this one takes, from April 1st till....

15. Conagher

Conagher Dark Custom Rider Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I sent in my filled out ATF form and the $200 fee for a suppressor last October , so hopefully I will hear something soon.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

@Conagher Glad to see you looking around again, and Posting.... You have been missed...

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  17. wideym

wideym Monkey+++

BATF cashed the check today for the latest SBR.

Mailed out on the 1st and cashed on the 8th. I sent it off to the new Portland, OR address.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. wideym

wideym Monkey+++

20190830_160140. 20190830_160129. The SBS Form 1 came in today. Approved on August 23.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

So what's faster now?
    Form 1 manufacture or form 4 dealer to individual?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. wideym

wideym Monkey+++

Not sure as my last Form 4 suppressor took 9 months.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7