Suffering 7 Yr Old - Leukemia

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by melbo, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Update.
    Mykala has had horrible reactions to the chemo treatments. She was violently ill after wards and in alot of pain. Erin and Brandon sought a received a medical marijuana card for her. She was prescribed this and is the first minor in Oregon to do so.
    When she was given the first dose it seems to work right away, she could eat and play right after which made her little sister happy for the time to play with her big sister.
    They tried taking it away after a couple of days to see if it was really working and Mykala was instantly sick again after treatment. She asked for it so she could feel normal again.
    The family is making the news now and has been interviewed a few times.
    TIME Magazine

Is Medical Marijuana Safe for Children?

GETTY IMAGES​

As reported by ABC News, Mykayla was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia in July. Against her doctor’s wishes, her mother, Erin Purchase, began giving her lime-flavored capsules filled with cannabis oil after she had a poor response to her initial chemotherapy treatment. Her doctors suggested a bone marrow transplant, but while she was taking the medical marijuana, she went into remission in August. She continues to rely on cannabis to ease pain and nausea and her mother plans to continue giving her the drug during the additional two to three years of chemotherapy she still faces. Purchase, believes that certain components in marijuana, which show anti-cancer activity in many early studies, helped spark the remission. Mykayla’s current doctor knows she takes the capsules, but doesn’t discuss the marijuana as part of her medical therapy.Comstock is seven-years old. Her mother, a long time advocate for medical use of the illegal drug, has been giving her a gram of oral cannabis oil every day. Despite the fact that medical marijuana is legal in Oregon, where Comstock lives, the idea of giving it to a child still gives pause to many adults who associate the drug with recreational use that breaks the law.
    MORE: Marijuana in Colorado: Ready for Business, Complete With Regulations
    Experts like Igor Grant of the University of California’s Center for Medical Cannabis Research warn that the effects of the drug on child development are unknown. But the same is true for other medications used to fight pain and nausea that are currently given to children with cancer, as well as for powerful antipsychotic drugs that are used in long term treatment of childhood mental illnesses. Opioid drugs like morphine and Oxycontin, which are sometimes used to treat the severe pain that accompanies life-threatening cancer and other diseases, for example, can cause overdoses.
    Although marijuana can be addictive, addiction rates are often lower than those to opioid drugs, and discontinuing opioids is associated with severe physical withdrawal symptoms not seen with marijuana. While opioids can cause nausea and vomiting, marijuana reduces the risk of these symptoms that frequently plague cancer patients as side effects of radiation or chemotherapy. Advocates like Purchase argue that if opioids are acceptable to treat youngsters’ cancer pain, then marijuana should be as well.
    MORE: How Cannabinoids May Slow Brain Aging
    The American Academy of Pediatrics, however, disagrees, and opposes the use of marijuana to treat young children, citing its addictive potential and the many unknowns about how it may affect developing bodies. The Institute of Medicine (IOM), a scientific group of experts consulted by Congress, analyzed the available data and since 1999 has acknowledged that certain legitimate medical uses of marijuana are worth additional study. While the panel noted that many effective treatments already exist to relieve nausea and cancer pain, it recognized that for some patients who may not respond to these therapies, the components in marijuana may be helpful. The group’s main objection to the drug was its use in smoked preparations, which is not an issue in this case.
    The IOM’s report highlights the need for much more research into understanding medicinal uses of marijuana—including for which symptoms or conditions it might be most effective, and for which patients. Those concerns are magnified when it comes to treating children like Comstock, who often are not included in clinical trials because of their young age, and who may have many more years to contend with any possible side effects of the drug. Some experts point out that not all of marijuana’s components, and their effects on the body, have been studied, not to mention well understood. Without more research, both doctors and parents will continue to face the difficult decision of giving youngsters a compound and hoping it will do more good than harm.

Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2012/11/28/is-medical-marijuana-safe-for-children/#ixzz2DinUXmxO

And Vibe magazine:

Medical Marijuana: Cannabis Oil Helps 7-Year-Old Fight Cancer | Vibe

TheEconomist likes this.
  2. Quigley_Sharps

The best big sister in the whole entire world ♥

Our Brave girl is doing amazing today! and this week! She is on second treatment on her third round... She has had absolutely no pain and only one bout of nausea that only lasted a sh
    ort time!

Lots of people wonder how she is handling the media... and the answer to that is GREAT! She made a wish to become a princess... and it came true! She is so happy and she loves seeing herself on the TV!

She does get stage fright when it comes to interviewing though!

If you have ANY questions regarding Mykayla and how she is doing PLEASE ASK :)

#peaceloveCURE

The best big sister in the whole entire world ♥
    [​IMG]

Sapper John, Gator 45/70 and CATO like this.
  3. Quigley_Sharps

176960_218154451647860_842980529_o.

[​IMG]

The girls sleeping.
    176960_218154451647860_842980529_o.

Sapper John, Gator 45/70 and CATO like this.
  4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

She is going to be a heart thief in a few years.

5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

My problem's are small when it come's to a child hurting...I pray for her.

Quigley_Sharps likes this.
  6. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

My eyes are full of tears. I wish I could send more than my prayers, but we are struggling right now ourselves. My daughter is growing her hair out for an outfit called "Locks of Love" for just this type of problem. Mykayla is in my prayers.

7. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

Beautiful family Quigley...Praying for you and yours!

Quigley_Sharps and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

It's great news they prescribed it for her.What ever makes her treatments go easier. Smiles like hers are too hard to come by. Prayers for her.

Quigley_Sharps likes this.
  9. Quigley_Sharps

An update.

melbo likes this.
  10. Quigley_Sharps

Brandon and Erin

The pledge of 15% of profits.

Many of may not have heard, Mykayla has made national news.
    She was getting very ill during chemo and Brandon and Erin secured a Medical Marijuana card for Mykayla to help with the sickness after treatments in the form of a pill with cannabis oil in it. It has been working great and she is able to play and eat and has put on weight finally.
    They have been through several media interviews and last night were on the Ricki Lake show. One company( The CANNAcig | Vapor Inhaler | CANNAcig) has pledge 15% of their profits to Mykayla and her treatments. It has been a blessing.

Thank you you all for your help,donations and words of encouragement for Mykayla. She enjoy's reading them.

oldawg, melbo, Gator 45/70 and 3 others like this.
  11. Quigley_Sharps

396316_365817323442779_100960168_n.

Hopefully Mykayla gets back to this picture of Health some day.
    396316_365817323442779_100960168_n.

peanut, kellory, oldawg and 3 others like this.
  12. Quigley_Sharps

just got this about Mykayla:

We have been waiting for this day now for 7.5 months!!!!

Good bye intense chemo... HELLO LONG TERM MAINTENANCE!

She made it! Still smiling! I love this little girl more than words could ever say... and I cannot believe how strong she has been this entire time... I cannot believe how much she has grown and changed.

She is by for the very BRAVEST ♥ girl I know!

13. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Good news Quig

14. Quigley_Sharps

Update

15. peanut

peanut Monkey+

You made my whole day, Quigley. I needed some good news and it makes my heart sing that she's doing so well. Haven't logged in much, but I've been keeping her in my alerts and prayers...Will do the same with little Abel. Kids shouldn't have to suffer....Sending love to you and yours

16. Quigley_Sharps

7155_321576651305639_1499540942_n.

This is what Mykala looks like today. Make a wish foundation flew her to Hawaii this week. Today is the last full day there.

[​IMG]
    Mykayla & Ryleigh with Allie Wallace at the Make-A-Wish Luau.
    Mykala turned 8 Yesterday while in Hawaii .

17. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

What a beautiful girl...and before you know it, she will be a beautiful woman. Happy Birthday Mykala!

18. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Excellent news and pix. Glad all is going well.

19. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

News like this lifts my heart.Thanks for the update Quig.

20. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

Great news quig!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7