Sugar for Wound Care

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by Motomom34, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

I have been a big honey user for a long time my wounds heal fast and scars are good .

Motomom34 and Ura-Ki like this.
  2. Capt. Tyree

Capt. Tyree Hawkeye

I have seen the effectiveness of a 20 ppm colloidal silver solution sprayed topically on skin rash. It is good stuff in accelerating the skin's healing. I have used 20 ppm colloidal silver solution internally to accelerate recovery from sore throat whether by allergy or infection.

If used soon enough in the early stages of a scratchy throat, I have experienced a complete eradication of whatever the infection was almost overnight. Again, it is good stuff, but is not a magic "silver bullet" (pun intended).

When used alongside the usual over-the-counter medications, it seems to be even more effective. It is a valuable, and economic modern health component. There are many useful applications of the silver ion in terms of human health that have been known about for hundreds of years through folklore. I have only touched on a couple, and your mileage may vary with those.

Motomom34 and Ura-Ki like this.
  3. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Monkey+

How do you know that it is 20 ppm? Where is your analytic data confirming it? Manufacturers statements are not acceptable, nor is the expected yield from some home production apparatus. How do you know that 20 ppm is better or worse than (say) 25 ppm or 15 ppm?

Likewise, used topically, where is the data showing in matched cohort sets (with placebo) that it has any attributable effect?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  4. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Monkey+

Or just keep the sugar dry and mix as needed...

Thunder5Ranch and Ura-Ki like this.
  5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

One question I have on Sugardine is about the container. I noticed in the link given that the container was not clear. And most iodine containers are not clear either. I have some small blue plastic containers that will filter light. They say seal and sugardine will last but I am thinking one would need a container that would not be clear,

6. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Wifey prefers darker containers for any med stuff. Think script bottles.

Ura-Ki and Motomom34 like this.
  7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Careful to reseach the type of plastics used, iodine will interact with some of them, and can ether leach out bad stuff, or eventually break it down!

Motomom34 likes this.
  8. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Monkey+

I have treated people who thought 'colloidial silver' was some sort of miracle cure...for everything, including viral diseases. Aside from dying patients who could have been saved had they gotten real medical treatment earlier (2 kids from a lunatic pair of parents) I have also seen people suffering from argyria (a permanent, blue staining of the skin) from drinking the stuff. Oh, and btw: They still got sick.

Topically silver has some benefits, due to (most likely) ionic effects on bacteria. Thats why it's used in some preparations like silver sulfadiazene ointment. Not all bacteria, btw....and I've never seen (in real life) any miraculous healing benefits over other compounds.

Finally, there is no standardization on the stuff. We have a commenter extolling the value of 20 ppm silver for everything, internally and externally. He doesn't mention how much of the 20 ppm he takes (the 20 ppm is the concentration, not the amount). We don't know if he actually has 20 ppm of the stuff, or 0.002 ppm, or 1 ppm or 1000 ppm or 1000000 ppm) Probably not the later, silver is not cheap. We don't know how it lasts after manufacture, how it is made (putting something that is contaminated with viruses or fungi onto a wound strikes me as a fairly bad idea), when to use it, when not to use it, what not to use it with.

I am all for more or less 'natural' cures that work. Tea tree oil, sugardyne, honey, are all ok for small wounds...and in a pinch I might use pasturized honey in serious burn cases (don't want to introduce mold spores into a wound field). Sambuca for influenza? OK, there is some evidence it works. But seriously, if you were infected with (say) anthrax would you want me to prescribe something like tetracycline, or would you risk some voodoo water?

Does it work? Well for values of work. Years ago a village elder in Africa (Botswana) gifted me a bracelet made from the hair of elephant tail...it is supposed to keep me safe from lions. And so far, it's been 100% successful!

9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

That is what I was thinking. It would be real easy to put the sugardine in a small canning jar but iodine is in a darkened jar for a reason. I am hoping for this to never go bad as the recipe promised.

PS- say hi to the Nurse for me. :)

Ura-Ki and Tully Mars like this.
  10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I have to say that sugardyne is best kept in something other than a clear bottle. You do NOT want to mistake it for sugar for your coffee. Translucent, frosted, colored, no matter, just make sure that there is zero chance of ingesting it. Iodine saturation for thyroid radiation protection takes a different formula; be not confused.

Ura-Ki and Tully Mars like this.
  11. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

That being said, I guess darkened glass jars will be a must for sugardyne.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  12. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Been using sugar to treat livestock wounds for as long as I can remember. Particularly prolapses, kills the bacteria and reduces the swelling and lets you get everything pushed back in. It is also an astringent and does fine job in stopping minor bleeding. also decent for clearing up staph. The colloidal silver I don't put much faith or stock in, have friend that swears by it, he is sick more often than not and starting to look a bit blue. Iodine yep great stuff alone or in combination with other things like sugar and a whole arsenal of roots and herbs.

13. Capt. Tyree

Capt. Tyree Hawkeye

You are correct in one aspect. No one should trust the label of a product off the shelf, nor expect the process from a home production apparatus to yield an exact 20 ppm of silver ion with each batch. As the saying goes, "You pays your money; and you takes your chances."

So, had I edited my initial posting as I was almost going to do, I would have said "approximately 20 ppm" as a decent working concentration. Point well taken. Again, your mileage may vary. Colloidal Silver is a valuable arrow to have in any home remedy quiver when unable to access medical care.

It's like Vitamin C. It has a beneficial effect as an infection fighter for most people, but in varying strength requirements, depending on the needs of the individual. Yet a few folks can't take the stuff orally without breaking out in a rash. Others still, do not believe it has any beneficial effect.

As far as analytic data, I have only my subjective observation, and personal experience, modestly posted here as a contribution to this thread about home remedies, mostly sugar and honey, with a little about colloidal silver. I am not a representative of a pharmaceutical company, nor am I a medical professional. Nor am I an owner of a company that makes Colloidal Silver production kits.

I know what I know from straight-on topical use of only colloidal silver (approx. 20 ppm) in some instances to combat a fungal skin rash (on my mother when she was in hospice), and for myself in combination with the usual over-the-counter meds internally for sore throat and strep-like symptoms (metamucil, aspirin, ibuprofen, & Tylenol ---pick one or two). In another case it helps in accelerating healing skin cuts & contusions when used along with topical bacitracin ointment. When one ages, he starts to notice how fast or slowly he heals, as well as anything that makes that process improve.

I was a skeptic a few years ago, until I tried it. CS works for me in the limited ways I describe above. It's still a free country in that regard......so far.

Motomom34 likes this.
  14. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Thunder, how do you prepare the sugar to treat staph?

Motomom34 likes this.
  15. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I have colloidal silver and use it. We do not take it every day, we just take it when we feel an illness coming on. So far we have had success. Usually the kids get pneumonia but since we have started using silver at the beginning of a cold, no one has ended up on the nebulizer. I cannot prove it was the silver that kept things from getting really bad but so far I will stand behind the coincidences.

I am curious about this also. Staph is nasty and hard to kill. Only thing I know to kill staph is a trip to the doctors.

16. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Monkey+

OK, but saying approximately 20 ppm still means exactly nothing at all. ZERO is an approximation of 20 ppm...so is 2000. And you have no idea of how much or how little concentration you have. Nor have you mentioned an actual dose....

Most illnesses resolve with tincture of time, as William Osler put it. They get better with medical help, and without it. BTW, plain old vaseline works as well as an antibiotic ointment in healing small, non-infected wounds: it's not the antibiotic, it's the moisturizing effect that matters. Another explanation for the cure of your mothers fungal infection (BTW, who determined it was a fungal infection? Which fungal organism was it?) is the increased visibility and attention it received, secondary to the use of your silver. And as I mentioned, silver is a valuable topical treatment in some cases....

Vitamin-C has a known, understood role in healing. The ascorbate is a catalyst that potentiates DNA replication (along with zinc), allowing healthy cells to grow faster. Drinking an ionic compound of silver has no such understood, or even hypothesized role. A basic knowledge of physiology shows what would happen. Silver ions, hitting the highly acidic environment of the stomach, will bond to chlorine ions making silver chloride. Handy if you are taking pictures, but not much else, and in sufficient dosages causes argyria.

It is a free country....people are free to do all sorts of things that help support me and my family.

17. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Topical use only I just mix it thick in some rubbing alch and apply it. For whatever reason I am vulnerable to staph infections on every cut and scratch and why I have a beard. Anyway when I get cut or scrape cleaned up I put some of that sticky stink mess on and no staph problem. The alch evaporated quick but the sugar stays a good while and makes sort of a dressing over it. Experimented a bit on my self a few times when I had some decent multiple deep scratches from black berry picking. One arm I used nothing and the other arm I used the sugar alch no staph start on the sugar arm, half the scratches on the non sugar arm it started in. The sugar scratches also healed up about 2x faster than the other arm.

When a boar sliced my left pinky finger off I stuck the hand in a quart ziplock bag of sugar and wrapped the finger in a sugar water soaked wash cloth and and then into a ziplock bag of ice. 45 minute drive to the closest ER that can do anything with something like that. Two hours after getting there the finger was sewn back on and all bound up tight. Healed up without a hint of infection. BUt I could not get it to stop spurting blood and it was in a place that applying pressure and driving was not workable. Couple seconds after sticking it in the sugar the bleeding was down to a trickle. Guess sugar makes raw tissue constrict, same as with a prolapse animal that makes it a whole lot easier to get things back inside. You can literally watch the protruding tissue shrink as you rub the sugar on it.

18. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

The question is.......... Is a ounce or a gallon at 20PPM. the 20PPM would be the concentration but does not speak to the volume (Dose). Just my own opinion but Colloidal Silver is in many ways the greatest placebo marketed as the ultimate cure all using anecdotal evidence as settle science. As you point out it is valuable for some things but certainly is not a cure all or even a treatment for most things that it is billed as a treatment for. A good example I had sepsis a year and a half ago of a very antibiotic resistant nature. For weeks I ran temps peaking at 110 and never under 104 yes the CS crowd all chanted CS will cure it fast. NO it would not, time and a whole lot of luck and forcing down a quart of cayenne pepper sludge three times per day every day is what cured it. And even then it left a lot of organ damage that 20 months later I am still recovering from. One of the damages was to my brain, the doctors determination is that running a fever that high for that long fried the hot and cold receptors in my brain. IE 80 degrees feels like 140 degrees to me so the brain tells the body to cool me down and then decides I am too cold and the brain says warm him up. The CS Cheerleaders again came out of the woodwork.......... saying CS will regrow and heal that part of your brain! Again NO it won't. Slowly the brain and body adapt to the new normal and it has became a whole lot less over the last 20 months. The same result would have occurred whether taking CS or not. Increased blood flow (the cayenne pepper sludge) and the human bodies natural ability to adapt to changes would have occurred with or without CS. The Dokters all gave me about a 10% chance of surviving. And I did discharge myself AMA from the ICU figured I could sit in a tub full of ice at home and if I was going to die it was not going to be laying in a hospital listening to beeping and moaning. The Only thing that made the difference in life and death was a very strong natural immune system that was up to the task of fighting that war and winning with a little help from the cayenne peppers that have their own scientifically proven properties in helping the body with some things......... Like going septic. CS IMO is modern day snake oil.

Now in hind sight I should have taken CS a couple of times, pronounced it as my miracle cure and became a CS distributor and got my cut of that CheeZ pie. Don't know what it is about these miracle cures that make otherwise intelligent people lose all perspective.

19. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Yup, learned that I did. There was a period of time in my life when getting prescriptions filled was financially impossible. So I didn't fill the scrips and got better without the drugs (and incidentally may have boosted my immune system.) One of my main beefs with the medical profession is the propensity to deal drugs for anything that shows up in a patient. That, of course, is unfair because the patients see the ads on TV and want a magical scrip issued without delay. (Goes with the current social desire for instant gratification. They seem to ignore all the qualifications, caveats, and disclaimers in the commercials. The all time great is "Don't take it if allergic to it!")

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  20. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Several natural treatments for staph Sugar is just fast and make the area around the wound unpleasant to Staph to breed and grow. Purple coneflower is one of the oldest treatments as a tea or as a poultice or topical. I imagine there is quite a bit of how to around the internet about it.

Rosemary Oil or crushed Rosemary Poultice over a staph infected wound will clear it up.

I have a cousin that has been a ER RN for 30 years now and she tells me "There must be a real surge in dumb asses that believe they are herbalist, we have seen more cases walk through the door of people treating themselves or being treated by herbalist witch doctors that have caused serious long term or perm conditions." So I would advise extreme caution in any natural treatment advise on the internet or elsewhere. I won't dispense any advice except for the most basic and harmless remedies........ Like Sugar. I am reluctant to even mention cone flowers as it has properties that can cause huge problems in pregnant women.

Alternative medicine and cures are great after everything else has failed or you are in a situation with no other options.

1. hot diggity
  2. Motomom34
  3. Meat
  4. HK_User
  5. The_Prepared
  6. Bishop
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. hot diggity
  12. Asia-Off-Grid