Summer Solstice Festival - Chinese style

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DKR, Jun 30, 2017.

1. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

The tradition of dog meat consumption began over 400 years ago in China.

Although there is no medical or physiological evidence to support it, many Chinese practitioners of folk medicine believe that dog meat would help ward off the heat felt through the summer months. It wasn't until recent years that the festival in Yulin began.

The festival is celebrated annually in Yulin, Guangxi, China, during the summer solstice in June, by eating dog meat and lychees. About 10,000 to 15,000 dogs are consumed during the 10 days of the festival.

This number has decreased to 1,000 in 2015 by some reports.

Throughout the 10 days of festivities, dogs are paraded in wooden crates and metal cages and are taken to be skinned and cooked for consumption by festival visitors and local residents.

(Lychee and Dog Meat Festival - Wikipedia)
    (Dog meat eating festival) This is a real thing - DO NOT view second link if puppies are your friend. I first ran across this in my life while stationed in the RoK in the mid-1970s. "Butcher" shop windows filled with what was obviously dogs. At least it went a long way to explain the lack of any kind stray mutts running around.

It is not one world.

My take, food is food. Norwegian explorer Roald Amundsen and his crew ate some of their sled dogs en route to the south Pole. This may have, in fact, saved their lives.

Bottom line -

Poor folks rarely have a choice in the meal plans...

Another reason I avoid stuff Hencho en China

Dunerunner likes this.
  2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Hence, French Food..... Or, how to make something you found eating your plants into a rubbery delicacy.

Tully Mars and DKR like this.
  3. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

From 1958 to 1962 it is estimated the 45 million Chinese died prematurely from Mao's Great Famine. I am sure they ate anything trying to survive. In three weeks while I was there I saw not one undomesticated animal or bird outside the zoo except vultures in Tibet. No dogs or cats running the streets, nothing.

4. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

The only people who joke about "Woking the dog" have never stared starvation right int he eye.....

Dunerunner likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7