Summer Time BBQ & Camp Cooking

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yard Dart, May 1, 2013.

1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Yes sir, the Irish Death ran out so we switched up to the old standby :cool:

2. Yard Dart

IMG_20140413_164032_459.

Spring time is upon us again... though us Monkeys like to cook year round... the spring is a glorious time with things a blooming, grass growing and smoke in the air. Looking forward to expanding our outdoor cooking area this year.... what do you have going on.....? :)
    Here is our cook of Chicken thighs today with a nice salad following..... have a great cookout and post, we BBQ chef's will enjoy!!!!
    IMG_20140413_160849_186.
    IMG_20140413_163708_109.

3. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

I did a couple of tri-tip roasts yesterday. One on the vertical smoker, about 3 hours, and the other Santa Maria style. Possibly some of the BEST meat I've ever eaten!

Kajun

chelloveck, Yard Dart and kellory like this.
  4. Yard Dart

Tri-tips are great!!! I am not familiar with the Santa Maria style....? [dunno]

5. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Aged for too hundred years and soaked in brine?;)

oldawg and chelloveck like this.
  6. Yard Dart

Ahh Columbus inspired.... I see :rolleyes:

chelloveck likes this.
  7. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

I got two chicken quarters brining now. Will throw on the grill for dinner along with some asparagus (to bacon wrap or not to bacon wrap, that is the burning question), despite there being snow on the ground. 78F yesterday, 31 and snow today.

Mountainman, chelloveck and Yard Dart like this.
  8. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

For me...."Winter is Coming" (so would say Ned Stark if he had a head on his shoulders). For me it's a case of dusting off my sour cream soup recipe....hmmm....I don't have the recipe written down...the recipe is in my head, as I have made it often enough not to need commiting it to writing. :)

Yard Dart likes this.
  9. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Yes my friend, from some of your more recent pic post and purveying of mental images the inside of your head really does need a good dusting.[touchdown]You knew I hadda say it Chell.

kellory, chelloveck and Yard Dart like this.
  10. Yard Dart

I have a client over in Melbourne that likes to tell me how hot it is each day...and of course he has to do the temp conversion discussion each time we talk. When I tell him we have been in the 30's and 40's, he swears that low a temp is inhospitable for mankind.... funny.

It hit 70 here yesterday.... awesome!!! Of course we will have 5 days of rain coming I think starting tomorrow.

chelloveck likes this.
  11. chelloveck

I enjoy summer when the humidity is low enough to be comfortable...but I do enjoy winter if it's not overcast too much. It must be my northern European heritage.

Yard Dart likes this.
  12. chelloveck

Bacon wrapping the chicken seems to be a no brainer...even for Hamlet. :rolleyes:

13. ditch witch

Bacon wrap the asparagus, not the chicken.

chelloveck likes this.
  14. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Santa Maria tri-tip was developed, where else, Santa Maria, CA. :) It is a way of cooking the tri-tip to about medium-rare to let all the wonderful flavors pop. Start out with tri-tip seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Let marinate 2 hours to overnight. Let warm at room temp for 30 minutes. Start a charcoal grill for indirect cooking.....hot coals all swept to one side (or end). Put the tri-tip over the hot coals for about 8-10 minutes to develop nice color, then turn over and repeat on 2nd side. After nice and brown, move to cool side, cover grill and let cook at 300-350 for 30 minutes to an hour, until temp in middle reads 130 to 145 (depending on whether you like it rare or medium. Don't cook over medium to retain flavor and tenderness). Take off bbq, let sit covered for 10-15 minutes, then slice into very thin slices across the grain. Can serve with side dishes or make one heck of a sandwich with it.

Enjoy!

Kajun

ditch witch, Yard Dart and kellory like this.
  15. Yard Dart

Thanks TX- Never knew there was a name for what I basically do with the Tri-tip.... guess you really do learn something new everyday. :)

16. ditch witch

Tonight's offerings, orange lemon pepper chicken w asparagus
    Monday Grill.

Mountainman and Yard Dart like this.
  17. Yard Dart

I have a nice tri-tip ready to go this weekend.... if we can keep the rain to a trickle.....

18. Yard Dart

Threw some chicken on the BBQ the other day. After many years of service, the Weber has started to show it's age. The weld on the handle snapped on one side, giving me the warning it was time for a replacement. I pulled out the drill and in short order had screwed it down and was back in business.
    Sure is nice to just sit back and relax on a sunny day :) IMAG0001(1).

chelloveck and Mountainman like this.
  19. chelloveck

Some music while the chicken's cookin', courtesy of Ella.

Yard Dart likes this.
  20. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Hey @chelloveck , how about a picture of some bugs on the barbie. Took some when I was there a while back and can't find them now.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7