Sunny day tool for starting fires

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Bear, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I emerged from the Tennessee River after diving for mussel shells, one winter during a bad snow storm, near hypothermia and matches and lighter refused to light in my shaking hands. I knew if I didn't get a fire going soon, it was only going to get worse. My boy scout training just didn't seem to be working. I finally gave up and soaked a rag in gasoline from the boat tank and placed it in a bucket of tinder, then removed a spark plug from my outboard, grounded it against the bucket and turned the engine over to ignite the fuel. Managed to not loose any hair except for maybe some eyebrow, but lived to embarrassingly tell the tale.

Bear, Hanzo and kellory like this.
  2. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Glad you lived to tell, @Seacowboys. You obvious had the know how and was resourceful and quick thinking enough to put your knowledge to work. Many people totally freeze when stressed. I have seem it many times.

Wait, why were you diving for mussels in a bad snow storm? Must be one tough hombre!

When I read about the mussels, thought for just a brief moment you were going to say you polished one into a reflector to make a fire. But since it was so hard and took so long, the effort warmed you up and dried your clothes. But you succeeded in the end and had a hot meal and drink to go with my chuckle. ;)

Bear likes this.
  3. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

If you are going to be dumb, you have have to be tough.

Bear, vonslob, kellory and 3 others like this.
  4. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I was told that when I was young and I still subscribe to it.

Bear likes this.
  5. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

Those are words to live by. I have tried making fire with a magnifying glass, it works with a little patience, the bigger the lens the better. Watched someone polish the bottom of a beer can with toothpaste to light a fire, it worked just took some time.

Bear likes this.
  6. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

That's a nice little bit of survival tradecraft. I dug an old junk flashlight out of my parts box and separated the plastic reflector from the attached metal flange. The reflector is practically weightless. I stuffed a cotton ball into the reflector, and taped over the back. Then I taped the old plastic lens over the front.
    Tomorrow I'll test it and see if makes fire as well as I expect.
    It's good to know a lot of ways to start a fire, and to have several ways to do it on hand.
    A Bic might not work in the cold on a high mountain slope, but I bet the reflector would. Fire when you need it, with no moving parts and no sweat, even if you have half-frozen hands. Can't beat that.
    And in a serious pinch, the reflector can help fuel the fire the one time you absolutely have to have some heat.

Ganado and Bear like this.
  7. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

LOL @Seacowboys very true words...
    Unfortunately... IMHO... in today's cuddled world of armchair, technology addicted, couch potato, entitlement wannabes... most "dumb" folks are just lucky... and continue to rely on luck or entitlements or mooching... or predatory scavenger type behavior to either survive or prosper....
    "Tough" is rapidly becoming a pretty rare attribute....
    At least that's what I think... probably wrong... maybe not ;)
    I'm an old fat fart... so what do I know...
    Carry on....
    Bear

Hanzo and oldawg like this.
  8. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Thanks @UncleMorgan ...

That muscle between your ears is the most important tool to exercise, feed and fine tune till the day you die... sharing that knowledge is an obligation to the future generations who will at least listen...

If you have electronics with batteries of any sort.... then the most important piece of gear to carry is #0000 steel wool...
    I did a video once... everything down to a button battery will ignite it... and it will work wet... both the batteries and the wool... well you need to shake off or wipe off as much water as possible...

Found it... here you go... video is in this thread

Another Fire Resource... Inspired by Hanzo! | Survival Forums

Heck and empty lighter that still sparks with light it... even the piezo electric lighter on your stove... for that matter those units are sold separately... and last forever... not a bad idea to pick one up and practice...

But in the freezing conditions you speak of.... it is the simplest of ways to get super hot tinder going when your hands and mind are operating at a compromised level...

Practice makes perfect... muscle and mind memory... will make things easy in ideal situations... and may save your life or the lives of your loved ones in an emergency...

Pick up some #0000 steel wool the next time you are at the hardware store... and play with it... dunk it... dunk your batteries... your lighter... your ferro rod... your flint in steel... leave your hands in a bucket of ice and practice if that is a concern...

Then put some in a zip lock and make sure you stash it in your pack... tent stuff sack... jacket... pants... car... other kits... doesn't take much....

Make it your friend and it will be nice to you ;) ok to carry other tinder... but if you really want to carry something near foolproof do this... you won't regret it...

Also good for getting rust off of things and cleaning those battery terminals and contacts... when you electronics fail on you ... but then again.. I use my SAK for that...

Anyway... that's my rambling advice... from a stinky old fat fart failing memory bear ;)

Have a great Sunday!

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

Hanzo, kellory and Seacowboys like this.
  9. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Bic lighters are hardy. I forgot i had one in my pocket when @Bear and I were throwing net. After getting soaked in sea water, it still works.

1. AgentPickle
  2. chelloveck
  3. chelloveck
  4. chelloveck
  5. Coyote Ridge
  6. Aspiring_Caveman
  7. Coyote Ridge
  8. Coyote Ridge
  9. Dunerunner
  10. Bishop
  11. DKR
  12. AxesAreBetter