Super Bugs - thanks to Monsanto

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by tulianr, May 30, 2012.

Tags:
  1. tulianr

tulianr Don Quixote de la Monkey

First Super Weeds, Now Super Insects -- Thanks to Monsanto

Excerpts:

“Not only are we seeing rapid emergence of super-weeds resistant to glyphosate, courtesy of Roundup Ready crops, we now also have evidence of emerging Bt-resistant insects.”

A new generation of insect larvae is eating the roots of genetically engineered corn intended to be resistant to such pests. The failure of Monsanto's genetically modified Bt corn could be the most serious threat ever to a genetically modified crop in the U.S.

And the economic impact could be huge. Billions of dollars are at stake, as Bt corn accounts for 65 percent of all corn grown in the US.

The strain of corn, engineered to kill the larvae of beetles, such as the corn rootworm, contains a gene copied from an insect-killing bacterium called Bacillus thuringiensis, or Bt.

Bt Corn—a Most Dangerous Failure
    Monsanto's genetically modified "Bt corn" has been equipped with a gene from soil bacteria called Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis), which produces the Bt-toxin. It's a pesticide that breaks open the stomach of certain insects and kills them.

This pesticide-producing corn entered the food supply in the late 1990's, and over the past decade, the horror stories have started piling up. And the problem with Bt crops go far beyond the creation of Bt-resistant insects.

Monsanto and the EPA swore that the genetically engineered corn would only harm insects. The Bt-toxin produced inside the plant would be completely destroyed in the human digestive system and would not have any impact at all on consumers, they claimed. Alas, they've been proven wrong on that account as well, because not only is Bt corn producing resistant "super-pests," researchers have also found that the Bt-toxin can indeed wreak havoc on human health.

Bt-Toxin Now Found in Many People's Blood
    Last year, doctors at Sherbrooke University Hospital in Quebec found Bt-toxin in the blood of:

• 93 percent of pregnant women tested
    • 80 percent of umbilical blood in their babies, and
    • 67 percent of non-pregnant women
    The study authors speculate that the Bt toxin was likely consumed in the normal diet of the Canadian middle class—which makes sense when you consider that genetically engineered corn is present in the vast majority of all processed foods and drinks in the form of high fructose corn syrup. They also suggest that the toxin may have come from eating meat from animals fed Bt corn, which most livestock raised in confined animal feeding operations (CAFO, or so-called "factory farms") are.

Bt-Toxin Linked to Allergies, Auto-Immune Disease, and More
    If Bt genes are indeed capable of colonizing the bacteria living in the human digestive tract, scientists believe it could reasonably result in:

• Gastrointestinal problems
    • Autoimmune diseases
    • Food allergies
    • Childhood learning disorders

There are also peer-reviewed studies showing that natural Bt-toxin from soil bacteria is not a safe pesticide either:

2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

This.

Yes, expect many bad things to happen.

Silversnake and Tracy like this.
  3. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

The corn bread I made the other day isn't as appealing at the moment

tulianr likes this.
  4. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

So are the Doritos's I just threw away, they were up to this time my favorite snack.

tulianr likes this.
  5. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

Thank god there is no corn in beer

6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Never fear Clyde, I think the DISTILLING PROCESS takes care of the Genetic Issues in the resultant alcohol...... ...... YMMV.....

Silversnake likes this.
  7. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

don't bet on it... ever hear of 307 Ale?

8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Last time I checked, DNA was NOT transferable, when heated into gaseous Phase and then re-condensed by a cooling Phase change.

9. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

This is relevant perhaps:

It's from the film "Kymatica", a personal favorite of mine.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7