super low cost custom leather holsters

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by monkeyman, Apr 8, 2008.

1. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Well, I have a new hobby. I have started makeing holsters. Im considering getting some extra stuff like blue guns and such to try to make and sell them as a sideline BUT I have never spent the money to buy good holsters and so dont know how they compare for comfort and such and so far have only made them for me, the Mrs and my dad. So Im looking for a few beta testers for them who are willing to try out a new holster and let me know what they think of them, the good the bad and the ugly and get the holster for their trouble. The catch is that the holsters would have to be made to fit one of the handguns I own (unless anyone wanted to send me a blue gun of the gun they want a holster for in exchange for the holster). So basicly, unless you wanted to send the blue gun, it would be limited to anyone who caries or has and would carry for a while, a Bersa Thunder .380, Bersa Firestorm mini 9mm (same as Thunder 9mm IIRC), Beretta 92 FS 9mm, or Rossi .357 with the 4" barrel (clone of the S&W highway patrole model).

The holsters I make are IWB leather holsters that clip onto the waist band/belt. I can do right or left handed and we can figure out cant and how high you want it to ride. I dont do retention straps but they are heavy saddle leather formed/molded to the shape of the gun and will hold the guns snuggly.

If anyone has one of these guns or figures that it would be worth the gamble for the price of a bluegun of the gun they carry let me know either on this thread or by PM. Like I say, basicly just want to get a few made for others to try out so can get some feedback on them and decide if I should try to get into it more for sales.

I do have some dye now in a sort of brown so they can be brown or natural but I will post a couple of pics of the ones I have done that I have pics of.

2. monkeyman

heres the pics

3. monkeyman

Sorry about the low quality of the pics but a cell phone is the only camera I currently have.

4. thepatriot1976

thepatriot1976 Resigned Membership

Wouldn't mind one for my glock 21, but probably couldn't afford the blue gun!

5. monkeyman

I THINK they run around $40 but not sure. Its jsut the plastic replicas of the guns so while they arent priced like squirt guns they also arent as bad as the real thing. If you decide you want to let me know.

6. monkeyman

Yup, looked it up to be sure and the handgun replicas at www.midwayusa.com ran around $40 each but they didnt have the Glock 21s. Heres a couple links to places that do though and they are in the same ball park.

http://www.firstresponderproducts.com/blue-guns-glock-firearm-simulator-p-336.html

http://territorialsupplies.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=optg

http://www.ondutygear.com/fsb92d.html

Not sure, a couple of the places may be just for LEO, military and so on but others I know sell to the genreal public.

7. thepatriot1976

thepatriot1976 Resigned Membership

I'm sorry thanks though anyways.

8. monkeyman

No problem, was just an incintive for me to post the links that had thought I should anyhow in case anyone was interested in tradeing a Blue gun for a custom holster. Thinking of trying anothe design as well that would have a clip on each side and possibly a built in mag pouch on one side of the gun, just got to work out first the bast way for it to be constructed in order to turn the but into the body so it stays both comfortable and concealed and to do it such that it wont get sloppy with time/age/wear. Figured even if you decided not to it might make it easier for someone else to find the info.

9. monkeyman

Heres some pics if the latest holster I'm working on. Its mid way through construction. It was wet, formed, cut to shape, and stiched up. Now it has to dry to the shape of the (well oiled) gun then be trimmed, final fine tuneing to the forming and smoothed then dyed.

It has the hole in the back since my Bersa Thunder .380 has had some problems in lefthand cheap holsters at least with the mag release being pressed and dropping the mag so the hole make SURE this cant happen.
    Photo-0040. Photo-0041. Photo-0042. Photo-0043. Photo-0044.

10. monkeyman

Heres a couple of pics of the above holster finished up.
    Photo-0045. Photo-0046.

11. FalconDance

FalconDance Neighborhood Witch

Don't think any of your guns are similar in shape/size to my revolver, huh. :(

12. monkeyman

Well you are in the same state an close enouph and all that if you wanted to bring it up for a day then I could oil it up good and use it for the mold. I just dont want to be getting handguns in the mail and risking dealing with alphabet boys over it even if anyone was willing to mail them in, so had mentioned either same as one of mine or send a blue gun. If you wanted one for your revolver though can bring it up and I could get you set up with one.

13. FalconDance

*sings* I just got a new holster :D.

pics to follow

14. monkeyman

Yup, normaly wouldnt send one out with the 'extra holes' where I got the clip sewed in the wrong spot and had to adjust it on this one, but since was a demo for comfort and such (not actualy charging for it)NAD figure its pretty much a temp holster untill can get her into a gun more suitable to carry (not to mention I did it there and didnt have extra leather with me) figured it would work.

Have to say figureing out how to make that revolver concealable (about the size of the big old Colt Walkers or somethin lol) was interesting.

15. FalconDance

It was posted at Independence Center today - no firearms :(. Luckily I couldn't figure out a way to carry wearing a one-piece denim dress ;).

16. monkeyman

Aint that what garters are for? lol If you post pics, dont forget to post a pic of the gun its self with something for prospective. It may not be as huge as some but deffinatly not compact for CCW, especialy for being a .22.

17. FalconDance

So, you want it pictured next to .... a punkin? [whistle2]

Will try to get pics tomorrow but have to garden, move goats and ... there's something else important but I just drew a blank. Lovely.

18. monkeyman

lol Not sure where gonna get the pumpkin this time of year.... So bringign them up here tomorrow?

19. monkeyman

Offers still going for now and a couple reviews should be comeing soon.

Mostly just a shameless bump for the thread. lol

20. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

I have been using one of these for the last week. I have to say the quality was better than I expected. Very solid work. I said Wow! a couple of times when I first recieved it.

I wore it for the last week to try it out and it was surprisingly comfortable. I am not a real fan of inside the waistband holsters. But this one fit great. MM put a forward cant to it the way I prefer and it was perfect. Very comfortable and natural to draw.

I tell you if you have need of a holster these that MM are making are quality and will serve you well. Thanks MM for letting me be your guinea pig!!!
    H3.JPG H4.JPG H5.JPG H8.JPG

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7