Supplies - Trauma Gear

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by TheJackBull, Aug 26, 2014.

1. TheJackBull

TheJackBull Monkey+++

hey real quick,

where would one find information on items like Israeli bandages and halo seals and one hand tourniquet, that sort of trauma gear. looking to learn and buy.

KAS likes this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Pm @Falcon15 He is one of the MedKit Bag SmartGuys, here on the Monkey....

KAS likes this.
  3. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Several of our members are familiar with those things, myself included. Perhaps we can give you some info if you give us a few minutes. I also remember searching Ebay for items, I have used several from when I was active duty, and I know of a few names I can list for you to look up. I can personally vouch for this kit:

We have the 'H' Bandage (USMC) combat dressing
    The TK4 tourniquet
    H and H compressed gauze (6 ply)
    and QuikClot (may be better versions now)
    Also a wound staple kit

DSC00040.JPG

And some close ups

DSC00042.JPG DSC00043.JPG DSC00041.JPG

As for instructions, lots of YouTube videos available, but maybe the guys here can throw something together or help you track down some reputable stuff. I can recommend USNERDOC - YouTube because his videos are fantastic.

Sapper John and Yard Dart like this.
  4. TheJackBull

TheJackBull Monkey+++

Thank you. Reputable is the key word here. do these things expire or become non-sterile from time (gauze, quickclot, staples)?

5. Brokor

You can also look around for an IFAK (infantry first aid kit), which I find to be superior to many kits I have used. Everything you need can be easily contained in one unit, and used by one hand. All I add to mine is a tampon and some quik-clot bandage or powder. Your mileage may vary.

Here's some pics I snapped quick...

DSC00001.JPG DSC00002.JPG DSC00003.JPG

Witch Doctor 01 and Yard Dart like this.
  6. Brokor

Yes, most everything has an expiration date, but it all depends on your level of awareness/understanding and desire to maintain it. I have expired gauze I fully intend on using if I need it, for example. However, I would not necessarily do that with some of my sutures (which I forgot to post pictures of earlier so here you go).

DSC00004.JPG

You will have to pick up some additional info on this if you like, but I generally store up silk 3/0 and mono 5/0 sutures. You can find info at the YT channel USNERDOC I linked earlier for you.

7. Brokor

Also, if you like, you can check into training for first aid (local fire dept) and other courses and maybe learn about applying your own saline lock if possible. It's not an absolute necessity, but they offer this info in the Army as routine combat lifesaver training. I have ruined more than one pair of fatigues applying my own saline lock...

A kit I keep on hand all fits in a standard G.I. canteen cover

DSC00005.JPG

It consists of: saline, an infusion set and saline lock kit.

DSC00006.JPG DSC00007.JPG DSC00009.JPG

Attached Files:

8. TheJackBull

TheJackBull Monkey+++

thanks for that. Im running into a issue here locally on the suture side of things. apparently where I now live in Utah I need a MD to purchase these kits... at least from local sources anyway... ill check out those vids on youtube. Thanks again Brokor!

Brokor likes this.
  9. Brokor

You bet! Some folks shop veterinary shops locally or online and Amazon is known to have one or two items I listed, too.

Also, for antibiotics, calvetsupply.com is trustworthy and reputable, if you're looking for pet-grade antibiotics for SHTF.

AmericanRedoubt1776 likes this.
  10. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

Unless you are an EMT-3 or a trained corpsman stay away from chest seals, nasopharangeal tubes, and decompression kits. Down that road, in the hands of the untrained you will get someone hurt, give them a massive infection, or worse yet killed. Check my modified IFAK for civilian use:

My Take on the IFAK - the PEAK

11. Brokor

CLS qualified Army are also trained in these. Just FYI ;)

Yard Dart likes this.
  12. Falcon15

As I said, Bro, "unless" but you catch the drift eh?

13. TheJackBull

TheJackBull Monkey+++

Thanks @Falcon15 ... what do you think about sutures/staples.. @Brokor and I are discussing..

14. Falcon15

Sutures and staples, if BOUGHT, you must practice and have a very good familiarity with them. The learning curve on staples is much lower.

15. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I fully understand the harm that can be introduced by untrained use of specialized equipment. However, there are a couple ways that I look at this and why I can justify stocking a more complete trauma kit.

Disclaimer: My opinion only. This is not medical advice and we should always seek to be fully trained on everything we anticipate ever having to use.

There could be a situation where there are qualified people present but they do not have the specialized equipment at hand. You do and the qualified persons can now go to work.

In a critical life or death scenario (think sucking chest wound), what is the risk:benefit of attempting to use something that you might not be trained or qualified on? Are we worried about infection when a person may die in minutes?

Airtime, Yard Dart and Brokor like this.
  16. TheJackBull

TheJackBull Monkey+++

If I wanted a class on these items would that be a tech school EMT training or would you think (if asked)the local fire/emt guys would teach it at they're emergency prep meeting they do around town?

17. Brokor

@TheJackBull You may also carry some butterfly adhesive strips for the smaller deep cuts you would normally use sutures on.

bfly.

On the parts of the body where mobility causes a risk for adhesive failure, and you have exhausted all efforts to keep the wound closed, then a proper suture would be necessary. Applying a suture or even staples (especially to yourself) isn't always easy, and sometimes it isn't possible. The staples will be easier to use, but also come with an increased infection risk. These risks will be up to each individual to assess, but there is no "best way", so long as you stop the bleeding and promote healing.

Here's the video "Suturing Under Austere Conditions"
    Can you do it another way? Sure! You can make the sutures closed off any way you must, it just won't look as pretty or function the same. Just keep the sutures tied cleanly and not too tight.

18. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Try the search box. There is a guy who often offers free expired sutures and such. (,just can't remember who.)

19. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Quick clot is a military grade. I have wound seal, it stop the bleeding. It is in any pharmacy or on Amazon. Also most rescue squads have first aid classes also the Red cross but they are expensive. I just saw a church offering first aid/cpr classes for free.

Amazon.com: wound seal

Brokor likes this.
  20. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

Maybe your definitions of these things are different than mine. But I don't understand your concern or admonishment for a couple of these. Having been an EMT myself, yes nasal airways are a bit more advanced than standard basic first aid, but they are simple to learn and present little risk. It's just a rubber tube than you lightly lube and slide in thru a victim's nose to get a clear passage to their epiglottis. No place that dirty air doesn't flow. Chest seals as I know them can be Saran wrap or the wrapper from vaseline gauze to tape over a sucking chest wound to prevent a lung collapse and significantly help a person breathe. Basic first aid stuff that can save a life. Doing a chest puncture to reinflate a collapsed lung is a very different matter and I'd agree you need advanced training for that but the other stuff, as I know it, is simple, low to no risk and can easily be life saving. Please explain if you wish. Thanks.

AT

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
    Brokor likes this.
  1. JC Refuge
  2. hot diggity
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Coyote Ridge
  6. Meat
  7. 3M-TA3
  8. ED GEiN
  9. Merkun