Supreme Court says Americans have right to guns

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quigley_Sharps, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

By MARK SHERMAN, Associated Press Writer
    27 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court says Americans have a right to own guns for self-defense and hunting, the justices' first major pronouncement on gun rights in U.S. history.

The court's 5-4 ruling strikes down the District of Columbia's 32-year-old ban on handguns as incompatible with gun rights under the Second Amendment. The decision goes further than even the Bush administration wanted, but probably leaves most firearms laws intact.

The court had not conclusively interpreted the Second Amendment since its ratification in 1791. The amendment reads: "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

The basic issue for the justices was whether the amendment protects an individual's right to own guns no matter what, or whether that right is somehow tied to service in a state militia.

2. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

So did the man get something right?

3. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

This changes my view on things a bit; maybe there is some sanity left in d.c. :)

4. franks71vw

franks71vw Monkey+++

Tango I was thinking the same I just thank God that their are still people working in the governemtn that have a few brain cells left... I would have thought the the margin would be better then 5-4 the day it goes the other way around we are done for. Hopefully now CA and others will get the hint and either leave the union or follow the law... I say we continue to stand and be firm and force our leaders to follow the constitution and not the off the hip legislation that they are doing...

5. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Krieg Hündchen

This ruling does open the door for federal and state registraion of firearms.

Within the context of colonial times, I believe it was the intent of the anti-federalists to keep the people armed with small arms, as this is what was expected of them at the time. A musket was the small arm of the time, now an AR15 (even an M16) or its equivalent is the small arm of our time.

The argument from the left is that 'assault weapons' were not invented yet, therefore not covered. Again, context needs to be looked at. Small arms, I beleive are all covered in the second amendment.

The gungrabbers will certainly seize the opportunity to make 'common sense gun restrictions'. IE, they will attempt to regulate our second amendment right away.

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7