Surefire LX2 Lumamax Review

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Bison_Forge, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Bison_Forge

Bison_Forge Aspiring Knifemaker

This is a repost of the review I wrote elsewhere.

Specs
    From the SureFire website:
    “The LX2 is a compact dual-output flashlight featuring a virtually indestructible power-regulated LED emitter, a Total Internal Reflection (TIR) lens, and a smooth fluted body design that takes it easy on clothing. The LX2′s tactically-correct two-stage pushbutton tailcap switch lets you instantly select output level: press for a momentary-on 15-lumen long-runtime low beam suitable for general night use or close work; press further for a momentary-on 200-lumen high beam—ten times the light of a big two-D-cell flashlight; twist for constant-on low beam, twist further for constant-on high beam.”

Accessories
    There are a number of different accessories for the LX2 ranging from IR filters to specialized pouches and an awesome lanyard system. The lanyard system is included with the LX2 so i can put in a couple of words about its performance. The lanyard is made up of a piece of OD Green paracord and is equipped with two cord locks and a cord fastener. In a situation where you would be doing a lot of running or crawling where both of your hands would be needed for weapon retention or navigation the flashlight can be worn necklace style around your neck or the cord locks can be adjusted quickly and easily

Field Performance
    I have been pocket carrying this light for a little more than two weeks now, and it has excelled at every task that I have put it to. The LX2 is designed for both utility and as a weapons grade self defense light. The two stage push button tail cap works amazingly well. I used the LX2 extensively in a simulated CQB scenario where it performed amazingly well. On the 15 lumen setting it was still out shining the light of my teammates. When the LX2 was activated on high output it was able to clearly ID target over 125 meters away. The LX2 excels in low level lighting conditions, it was able to temporarily distort the vision of an opponent at ranges of 25 to 30 feet, this light is to powerful to test at close ranges for fear of permanently damaging the vision of the assisting opponent. Tested against the headlight of the family car the LX2 came out ahead. Surefire has a reputation for making rugged lights. I did not want to torture test the LX2, but it did survive an accidental fall onto concrete from the top of an 8 foot ladder, and it also survived an accidental trip through the washer and the dryer. The bezel is differentially hardened, and shaped for impact from both accidental dropping onto hard surfaces, and with impact with an attacker. If you are so inclined, the LX2 makes an excellent improvised kubotan, ju-jo, koppo or whatever other other style of fist load you favor.

I love the way the LX2 rides in the pocket. It is, by far, the best light I have ever owned or used. It runs for a long time on a single set of 123 Lithium batteries, far outlasting any other flashlight I have ever owned.

Dislikes
    The one thing that could be seen as a problem on the LX2 is its price. The LX2 retails for around $200 dollars. Also the LX2 runs on special 123 Lithium batteries which are not readily available and are more expensive than a normal battery.

Conclusion
    After putting this flashlight through all of the tests for brightness, run-time, short falls off an 8 foot ladder, self defense, and the old “I forgot my new SureFire LX2 flashlight was in the pants that I just washed” test……I would Definitely recommend the SureFire LX2 for your EDC or Bug Out Bag. This one was built with TEOTWAWKI in mind.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2015
  2. hedger

hedger Monkey+

Surefire Fan

Thanks for your thorough review.

Whenever I hear or see someone discussing a Surefire product, I make a point of listening to or reading that info.

I currently use the G2 Nitrolon with an LED kit. I liked this so much that I got one for each member of my family. When my son used his at work, everybody wanted to know what kind of flashlight it was because they had never seen such a bright light in such a small package. However, the G2 "only" generates 80+ lumens.

The 80+ lumens is kind of in the range of light you want to stun/dazzle a hostile at night. I would really like to have the 200 lumens to better insure that a bad guy is incapacitated.

When I originally bought my G2, there was no LED kit for it but I was happy with its performance--AND at $40 it was, by far, the most affordable of the line of superb quality flashlights (all of the Surefire flashlights have a lifetime guarantee).

Thanks to your review, I'll be saving up for the $200 to make this purchase!

3. Bison_Forge

Bison_Forge Aspiring Knifemaker

As of 2011 Surefire will be making the G2 in 15 lumen/ 200 Lumen dual output for about 60 bucks. I totally agree with you about the quality in surefire tools. I was very blessed to get this light free of charge in exchange that I review it on the website I write for. The Surefire staff is incredibly friendly, in fact, I was invited over to the home of one of Surefire's tactical analyst who did the testing on the LX2 and the new G2. I have attached the specs for the new G2.

Once again, You Can Not Beat Surefire For Quality. Thanks for your input.

Attached Files:

• G2X.pdf
      G2X.pdf
      File size:
      2.3 MB
      Views:
  4. hedger

hedger Monkey+

G2 Upgrade? Wow!

You just did it again!

I'm excited about being able to get the 200 lumens for just $60.

For those who do not yet know about Surefire, please check out their website. You can find many stories there about their excellent quality and their lifetime guarantee. Once you understand that, you'll find it quite natural for many of our troops to insist on carrying Surefire flashlights.

They may be a bot pricey. And, those lithium batteries have to be ordered most of the time. What the heck--for the quality and the performance it is a very good deal, indeed.

FYI, I am not connected with Surefire and I do not make anything from promoting their products.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7