Recommended Survival Books-Required Reading-Fiction & Guides - Beginners

Discussion in 'Survival Reading Room' started by melbo, Oct 1, 2010.

1. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

There are many. Pasta Presto is one, My first collected cookbooks were Southern Living Annual Recipes cookbooks. I have 1979 thru 2011 with two indexes that cover most of them. These are my fall back cookbooks that very very rarely let me down. They cover every recipe printed in Southern Living Magazine for that entire time period.

2. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

The "Patriots" book also had the graveyard ID thing. It also had a ton of unworkable/dangerous stuff - which you tend to find in a lot of fantasy books. No big, I tend to write that off as a lack of research.

I bought the "Patriots" book and was disappointed by the writing - two dimensional characters moving across a cardboard world. One chapter though, was well written and an enjoyable read.

Others have criticized his overly "religious" piousness - which doesn't follow the actions of the characters described.
    I'll skip the entire Sovereign Citizen / New World Order thing, it's a political viewpoint one may legally hold - if not acted upon.

I do have to say that the "Patriots" book did do one thing for me. After reading the book, I said "Heck, I could do this!" Five novels later I can only hope folks enjoy my stories.

As for other books, I like the "Hammers Slammer" series, "Lucifer's Hammer", "Fallen Angels" and several books by Dean Ing - he has quite the knack for telling a story. Check out his Wiki bio for the complete list.

Everyone has different tastes in books, I suppose like we do in food.

3. Ladyhawke

Ladyhawke Monkey+

Jeez...all those southern living would be interesting simply to see the changes in cooking styles and trends over the years. I love an old copy of my grandmothers Betty Crocker cookbook because I remember stories my mom would tell about cooking with my grandmother. I also appreciate the 'old school' recipes, especially because I don't usually cook that way on a daily basis. Nourishing Traditions is a beautiful book and The Art of Fermentation by Katz is a masterpiece. If you like fermented foods you should own that book!

tacmotusn likes this.
  4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I am currently reading 2030 by Albert Brooks. It is interesting and yet scary. Actually it is a story of America broke, battered and the light at the end of the tunnel is not the America we know. This is a book that has got me to thinking especially regarding health care and what could be down the road for us.

5. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

Fiction: Malevil

6. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I have the same set... and need tpo add more shelf space for the others....

7. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

No, it was Rawles. Oh I love it when someone who has no clue tries to correct me. Try reading the books before you comment. Feel free to continue to expose your ignorance to others. Or you could take your own advice and shut up, either/or to me.

I saw on other site and saw a new mag was out called AMERICAN SURVIVAL GUIDE issue one by Beckett Pub. (GUN WORLD). Totally worthless. Called Beckett and they said they did not have subs available to it and never intend to.

SURVIVALIST continues to get better and SELF_RELIANCE JOURNAL is also very good.

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

We love it when things get personal, gives us the excuse we need to exercise certain buttons in the control panel. IIRC, you have been warned before about lipping off and had to sit in the corner. It could happen again, or it could be permanent as it was on the Handloaders Bench.

Yes, we are selective, preference almost always goes to the longer term member.

CATO likes this.
  9. DMGoddess

DMGoddess Monkey+++

Out of print self-published book called "Survival Family" by Mary Bergman. ISBN 089036091X, published by Hawkes Publications in June of 1977. Actual account of a family preparing and then living for a year like they were in a survival situation. Very educational. Sent a letter to the address listed, and got no response. I have a copy, but I don't know how to get more. A few copies available on Amazon.

10. DMGoddess

DMGoddess Monkey+++

Anything by Ragnar Benson. Nonfiction preparedness books. I especially recommend Urban Survival and Survival Poaching.

11. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

My favorite books for 2012 (and along with LO and OSA, are in my top 5):

299 Days by Glen Tate
    The first book is a little slow, BUT, if you are new to this world, this is where you start.

The Holding Their Own series by Joe Nobody.
    He also has non-fiction 'how-to' books. Both Glen Tate and Joe Nobody have episodes on The Survival Podcast (hosted by Spirko). I HIGHLY recommend listening to the ones with Glen Tate.

The Remaining series by D.J. Molles
    This book isn't really about prepping, but has some tips on survival after a collapse. I would classify this into the 'zombie apocalypse' genre, but if you took out the zombies and inserted 'those formerly addicted to EBT cards,' you'd have the same book.

Legion489 and Motomom34 like this.
  12. sgt peppersass

sgt peppersass Monkey+

Non fiction : total resistance

13. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

I would like to add to my 2012 book list:

Going Home by A. American (a pseudonym of someone on the Survivalistboards)
    This was a great read. I highly enjoyed it and was sad when I finished. There could easily be a sequel because it ended rather abruptly and just when there was a whole new story to tell.

14. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I have seen this book on Amazon. I wondered if it was any good, I will put it on the TBR list.

Just finished the 3rd in the series. I like the first one the best. But i will read #4 when it comes out cause I got to know......

CATO likes this.
  15. HappyPuppy

HappyPuppy Monkey

I have not read the Tate books yet but I like the Nobody series. They can be a bit dry in spots,, but a lot of good info. Lots of good books listed. I will add one that I really like with a bit more depth i hope and why i think you should read it.

Enemies Foreign and Domestic. This is made up of 3 volumes total in the series
    Enemies Foreign and Domestic and Domestic Enemies: The Reconquista round it out.
    By Matthew Bracken

Where to start... If his name was Ms Cleo I would believe it . The books are almost psychic in their view of the state of the USA today and where we maybe headed.

Bracken is the real deal, that happens to write well. Check to out you will not be disappointed.

Matthew J. Bracken was born in Baltimore, Maryland in 1957, and graduated from the University of Virginia and UDT/SEAL Training in 1979. Besides writing novels, he has also built a steel sailboat and has made several major ocean voyages. He lives in Florida with his wife and two children.

Motomom34 likes this.
  16. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

17. Rick

Rick Monkey

Unintended Consequences by John Ross should be required reading by everyone wanting to buy a Gun and those that want to take them away.

3cyl, Sassenach and Legion489 like this.
  18. FTHarvey

FTHarvey Defend the Bedrock

The two Rawles titles I was going to mention are already listed, as well as the FM. Excellent avatar alanz. I would add FM 21-11- First Aid for Soldiers. For fiction, call me cheesy, but: The Postman by David Brin.

19. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Pallas by L. Neil Smith is an interesting read. Goes along well with the printable gun stuff in the news.

HD

OldDude49 likes this.
  20. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

Reading HOLDING THEIR OWN (first book) now and like it. Some mistakes of course, the hero waits until the very last moment to go get gas and food and of course there is none. Also does not use gas stabilizer to store gas. At least the heros are not murderous thugs being lead by a megalomaniac like at least one popular series of books has.

The guy who recommended HOLDING THEIR OWN also recommended 299 DAYS so he is at least one for one so far.

You might also try the TURNER DIARIES and HUNTER. Yes, they have racial parts, but also very true to life as well. EVERY incident in HUNTER actually happened and you can look them up for yourself if you think it doesn't happen like he said.

HEAR THE CRADLE SONG is another one along these lines too, "ripped from the headlines" as they say.

Motomom34 likes this.
  1. Grand58742
  2. DKR
  3. sharkman6
  4. john316
    GREAT STORIES BY FLEATAXI So Sue Me
    Thread by: john316, Oct 6, 2018, 6 replies, in forum: Survival Reading Room
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
    Resource

Never Too Young 2008

Survival Fiction, By Jerry D Young. [IMG]
    Posted By: Asia-Off-Grid, Sep 20, 2018 in category: Survival Fiction