Recommended Survival Books-Required Reading-Fiction & Guides - Beginners

Discussion in 'Survival Reading Room' started by melbo, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I just reread, "Life as We Knew It", by Susan Beth Pfeffer. This is a whole series of young adult books about life after a disaster or event... anyways, this series does make one think and since it is written from teenage perspective I found it thought provoking.

2. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Has anyone read The Last Canadian by William C Heine? I'm pretty sure it's out of print, but I thought it was a pretty good read. It's along the lines of I Am Legend, without the lone hero saving the world. I won't say any more and spoil it.

HD

3. jollyrodger13

jollyrodger13 ready for action

I read his books years back also, still have them too. They're getting a little road weary now, the first 6 or so I enjoyed very much! I've enjoyed (& read) most of the other books mentioned here. Happy Trails

4. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

I don't read much fiction but Into The Forest was pretty good.

Right now I'm reading The Ax Book by D. Cook it has more info on axes and wood cutting than I thought was possible.

5. Great Stuff Thanks!

6. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

an interesting list of books to help us reach our goals. with links
    Homesteading Library
    Just a note to my Monkey friends. Save yourself some money and help Survival Monkey as well and order any of these books on the list thru Amazon from the shopping link on Survival Monkey's home page. I have yet to find a book on the list that is not cheaper at Amazon.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
    BlueDuck, kellory, Yard Dart and 4 others like this.
  7. smithcp2002

smithcp2002 Monkey+++

This is the stuff that got me hooked on your monkey tree.

8. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

The Jakarta Pandemic by Steven Konkoly was recommended by @CATO. Definitely should go on everyone's reading list. This novel does make one think of how you would deal with the situations that arise in this novel.
    The Jakarta Pandemic: Steven Konkoly: 9781495907371: Amazon.com: Books

The Things That Keep Us Here is a novel by Carla Buckley. Ms. Buckley is not a prepper, she writes everyday novels that appeal to women. Yes, there is a sappy story in this novel but the this novel is taking place during a pandemic. I am hoping that it opened some eyes to what if...... when the characters children were sitting at the table with only crackers and mustard for lunch, it should make the readers declare this will not be my children and maybe set aside some extra food.
    The Things That Keep Us Here: A Novel (Random House Reader's Circle): Carla Buckley: 9780440246046: Amazon.com: Books

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2015
  9. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

Excellent book...there is also a sequel that is very good (though I cannot remember the name and am too lazy to look it up) :)

tacmotusn and Motomom34 like this.
  10. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

Home Remedies from a Country Doctor (one of the FEW Skyhorse books worth getting)

Herbal Healing - Avery

For really deep reading, try "U.S. of A vs. U.S." by Kegley, Henderson and Wahler. Not an easy read but if you want to know what/why/how this is it.

I said it before, ANYTHING by Kurt Saxon! Survivor series 1-4, Poor Man's James Bond series 1-4, US Militia (magazine), etc. There should be endless pirated CDs of all his stuff out there, I used to see them all the time at gunshows for $5 and all over the 'net and You-Tube for free. By the way, the pirating of all of Kurt's stuff (along with all the stupid stuff Kurt did of course) is why there are no Survivor 5-10 and PMJB 5-10, which were all set to go to the printers until all books sales STOPPED when all his other stuff got pirated.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  11. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

Should have added, there was a question about the interlibrary loan system. Most any book should be available on the ILLS if a library has it. When I got UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES through it, there was only ONE library that had it, or maybe two but one wouldn't loan it out, can't remember now. Anyway, if a library has it you can get it. Admittedly you may have to pay a buck or two to for S&H, but it beats spending $20 to find out that Delta/Skyhorse Publ./Paladin/etc book is junk and worthless. If the library doesn't have a (GOOD - you don't want to lumber the library with junk) survivalist book you are looking for, recommend they buy it. Then get your friends to go in and ask they buy it. That will help spread the word too. Back in the day, I worked at the library for 5 years and they said they would buy a book to put on the shelf in my name. I asked for KURT SAXON'S PMJB. They would NOT get it! Oh I could get a $150 book, no problem, but Kurt's $25 book? EEK! Finally they got it and it cost 0.25 or fifty cents to reserve a book at the time (free now), the PMJB was on reserve for over a year! They still wouldn't get any of Kurt's other stuff however!

Magdala_Buckley and Motomom34 like this.
  12. Sassenach

Sassenach Deo Vindice

May I recommend Empire and Hidden Empire, both by Orson Scott Card? Well written, what if types.

13. Lekdro

Lekdro Monkey

As a newb to survival. I thought I would share my selections on books I've picked up that i didnt see listed with the exception of the SAS Survival Handbook.

"How To Stay Alive In the Woods" by Bradford Angier

"How To Eat In The Woods" by Bradford Angier with four other writers. This i just started reading.

The first is an over all survival book that covers a little bit of everything. It even has a edible vegetation identification guide.

The 2nd is going into more detail on finding food/water anywhere and everywhere. It also has a bigger edible vegitation guide.

Just throught I would share.

Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  14. You hit the bulls-eye with "Farnham's Freehold" . Heinlein must have been at least a closet prepper/survivalist. He wrote several stories about what he thought he could do. He showed me that reading had more to offer than Dick, Jane, Sally, Spot. et al. In other words he taught me to read.

Dont, Motomom34 and Witch Doctor 01 like this.
  15. Murfylang

Murfylang Gypsy chicken whisperer

The book of county things, is a nice add to that list. A pleasant little read from the old ways of life. https://www.amazon.com/dp/0911469095/?tag=survivalmonke-20

16. My husband got me to listen to Zombie Fallout by Mark Tufo. After I listened to it (we listen to audiobooks while we work/commute/do chores) I told him that maybe he was right, we should start prepping.

17. I liked the Jakarta Pandemic, but the Zulu Virus Chronicles are my favorite. I am a fan of pandemic books.

Motomom34 likes this.
  18. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Thank you for the reminder @Magdala_Buckley I got half-way thru Zulu but just never finished it. I guess I should try again. I have re-read Jakarta Pandemic every year since originally posting that.

Magdala_Buckley likes this.
  19. I loved the Journal series by Deborah D Moore. It takes place in the UP, so I may be a little biased. Natural disasters lead to a slow disintegration of society. I found the books though MelCat, Michigan's inter-library loan system.
    I like some of Bobby Akart's and Mark Goodwin's books.

The Backyard Homestead series by Storey Publishing has a lot of useful information.
    52 Prepper Projects by David Nash has quick and relatively easy projects.

Motomom34 likes this.
  20. Some non-fiction medical books to acquire:

Physicians Desk Reference (PDR) preferably within 3 years of the current date.

Sanford's Antimicrobial Guide is indispensible for info on antibiotic therapies, interactions, uses, and alternative uses.

SOCOM Medical Handbook, this tome replaced the Special Forces Medical Handbook. It's really good for care in austere environments.

Grays Anatomy (not the show), it shows in detail the human body.

Brady or Mosby EMT and Paramedic textbooks. Shows you how to treat and stabilize a patient prehospital.

DITCH Medicine: good but somewhat dated material on emergency field care in austere environments.

A good medical dictionary, I have a Webster Medical Dictionary as well as Mosby's Rescue Dictionary.

These are all on my medical shelf and are my go to books when I have a question or need to and I would recommend these to any starting prepper/survivalist.

1. Grand58742
  2. DKR
  3. sharkman6
  4. john316
    GREAT STORIES BY FLEATAXI So Sue Me
    Thread by: john316, Oct 6, 2018, 6 replies, in forum: Survival Reading Room
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
    Resource

Never Too Young 2008

Survival Fiction, By Jerry D Young. [IMG]
    Posted By: Asia-Off-Grid, Sep 20, 2018 in category: Survival Fiction
  6. Asia-Off-Grid