Survival Fitness

Discussion in 'Survival of the Fittest' started by Yard Dart, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

And I think that is the crux of the issue. One has to avoid the recliner and do "something" on a routine basis. To survive, one will have to be in pretty good shape to do all the work one will be required to perform, just to live another day. That does not even consider the physical requirements that are needed for participating in security patrols, preparing defensive positions, and everything else one could conceive would be needed, once SHTF!!!!

Tully Mars and SB21 like this.
  2. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I telecommute and the first thing I do when I get downstairs is an hour or two of whatever needs to be done around the home. Mrs. 3M helps out during the weekend by glaring at me anytime she she finds me sitting longer than five minutes until 5 PM.

3. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I agree with you. My problem is the body pains I have on a daily basis now. I'm looking at double knee replacements coming up. The only reason I'm considering it is im hoping to be able to be a little more active. I've got stuff I want to do , but the pain limits that after a full day's work. But , that's my cry session for the month,,,,,,,

Tully Mars and Yard Dart like this.
  4. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I have had no issues with the replacement. Pain is gone. I've had 15 knee operations before the replacement. Only problem I have is limited range of movement in my RT knee. The replacement can't help that in my case but I knew that going in. But it did solve the bone on bone pain and the constant swelling.

Ganado and Yard Dart like this.
  5. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Since I figured out I might not be able to get home from work in Dallas with my bad knee at Christmas time I decided to carry most of my tools in a work backpack.

I walk 3-4 miles per day and the ruck hits the scales at 35 lbs. That's 8 lbs heavier than my GHB. I'm getting there....

Yard Dart likes this.
  6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Yard Dart and Ganado like this.
  7. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Motomom34 and Yard Dart like this.
  8. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I made it 5 miles with the work ruck today. No big drama.

Motomom34 and Yard Dart like this.
  9. Garand69

Garand69 Monkey++

Excellent topic.. The Zombies won't carry your gear for you after all.

For background, I have always been muscular from prior involvement in sports and working for a living, so that helps. But a little over 4 years ago I was at 285 lbs (6'3"). Every morning I started with 6 ibuprofen, and four more at lunch. Everything hurt all day everyday and that barely took the edge off. The only thing that actually worked for pain was alcohol, and obviously that was after work. Anyhoo, I was a wreck. Then I had a mini-stroke and found out I had High BP and High Blood Sugar.... Yeah Me!!

I started first losing weight strictly through diet. Have been using one form or another of the Atkins/HVLC/Paleo/Keto diets over that time frame and over 4 years I am within 2 LBS over my target weight of 225. A little over a year ago, I decided to commit to participate in a 22 Mile Ruck March for Veteran Suicide Awareness on Memorial Day weekend 2017, so I started walking regularly to prepare for it. My chiropractor thought I was nuts to start out with a 22 mile ruck. I have neck, back and hip issues and he had been tweaking me for over a year and finally had my pain reduced enough, I was starting to feel good enough to give it a shot. He was constantly trying to get me to walk more for my back, at the time I thought he was nuts. He also pushed push ups, but my Shoulder which has been tore up and put back together was not in the mood for that.

Well by the time I finished prepping for and completed that brutal 22 mile Ruck with a light pack, I haven't been back to the chiropractor since! 90% percent of my aches and pains are gone when it comes to my neck, back and hip. Yes they still poke me now and then, but usually only on lazy day offs. I walk daily now. This years 22 Mile Ruck was even more brutal than the year before with record 100F temps, but I made it with a 30lb pack on!

Earlier this year I added push ups to my walks. My original goal was 100 pushups within an hour. It took a bit to get there, but once I hit 100, I moved the goal post to 30min. Once I hit that goal, it was like my arms and chest completely woke up and turned 18 again! I have been gaining reps every week. This past Friday was my long after work walk.. Work-Bank-Bar. It took me 1hr to walk 3 miles (including the time at the bank) and do 265 push ups over 8 sets in 90F heat. Last Mondays goal was 250 push-ups over 7 sets + 1.75miles in 30 minutes. I just missed it by 10minutes because I had to add a 1/4mile between the 6th and 7th set to let my arms recover, the 250 was more important to me than the time.

My Chiropracter's advice of walking and push-ups has cost him a visit every week and I feel pretty damn good. I plan on adding split sets to my work outs soon, I just haven't decide what my other set will be. I am down 53 lbs, I am off blood pressure meds, and my blood sugar is normal, and I haven't taken anything for pain in 2yrs.

Yard Dart likes this.
  10. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Now that is a great story, thanks for sharing!!

Garand69 likes this.
  11. Garand69

Garand69 Monkey++

Thanks !

12. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

A membership at the Y and a power tower at home. The Y membership comes with all three facilities in my town. One having a swimming pool.

The main reason for joining the Y was because of their cardio machines. DO NOT BUY ANY CARDIO MACHINES FOR HOME USE. They have very limited warranties and when they break or stop working, the cost of the parts are not worth fixing the machine.

Had a Bowflex at one time. They do need space. The power tower does every thing I want to do at home.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    Yard Dart likes this.
  1. Alanaana
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Jungle_gym

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 27, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
    Media

Home_gym

I love my home gym!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 27, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  4. Alanaana
  5. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Foot hooping
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jan 28, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  8. Alanaana
    Alleyjandra loves to workout!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Dec 4, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  9. Alanaana
    Alleyjandra has life figured out!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  10. Alanaana
  11. Alanaana
  12. Alanaana
  13. Alanaana
  14. Alanaana
  15. wideym
  16. Motomom34
  17. Yard Dart
  18. Bishop
  19. DKR
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7