Survival food you can create after TSHTF

Discussion in 'Survival of the Fittest' started by duane, Sep 18, 2021.

1. duane

duane Monkey+++

OK, it is one year after and now you have to get ready for the oncoming winter. Your house and most of your belongings are gone, there is no store for resupply, and you may have to move again before winter. What do you do? The best answer for that is a look into the past. America was discovered and used as a fishing resource very early in the game, but with no refrigeration or canning, some practical means had to be used to store the fish. Short run smoking will help. long run dry and use salt or lye to preserve it for years. Salt cod is a perfect example, use sun to dry fish and to make salt, assemble and put into sealed box, keep for years and the person who used the cod also often needed the salt as well. The fall fish run in the coastal area often let smoking alone keep it long enough to use it during the winter.

Red meats can be dried, smoked, pickled or as bacon combine several methods.on one piece. In 1700 the poorest farmer had a smoke house, a drying rack for sun drying fruits and vegetables, and a root cellar, the smoke house had three functions, to smoke the product, to dry it without smoke, and to store it in a dry place with enough smoke smell that most critters avoided entering it. The root cellar and its cool temps, high humidity and protection from freezing kept his fruits and vegetables. The drying rack dried cabbage, squash, pumpkins, apples, etc, for the time after the stuff in the root cellar went bad and as a second layer of food security.

What are your thoughts on this? A lot of old favorites, dried green beans, dried pumpkin and squash, wheat, oats, barley, rice, dried apples, etc, are seldom done from scratch. But in the old days the person guarding the garden also might add some dried meat to the stash for winter. Grandma always pickled any fish we caught that weren't worth cooking, chubs, suckers, trash fish, all went into the jar. It seasoned them, dissolved the bones, and went so well on a couple slices of homemade 100 % wheat bread. Granddad smoked carp and other rough fish, you had to pick out the bone, but us kids ate it like pop corn. They stored beef and pork in crocks with salt and fat, don't really remember how as there was some secret process in removing the meat. They also made sour kraut as well as a couple other pickled veggies. Grandma made flat bread with a hole in it and it was hung in attic on wooden sticks, more like a cracker but with lard etc added. Would keep all winter and fed cat catching the mice it drew. Ate like cracker, broke up and thickened soups and stews, put jam on it and ate it, carried a couple pieces into woods and dipped into tea to soften it, sort of a good tasting hard tack.

We are here today because our ancestors long ago learned how to prepare for the lean times and the poorest housewife knew how to do it. Dose not taste the same, but it will keep you alive.

An excellent place to start on food preservation is the following.

Preserve Smart
    https://agrilifeextension.tamu.edu/library/health-nutrition/drying-foods-at-home-safely-drying-fruits-and-vegetables/

And for some ideas on how long your dried foods will keep

Storage Life Of Dry Foods | USA Emergency Supply

And some thoughts on pemmican and pinole

How to Make Pemmican (Easy Instructions + 5 Recipes)
    3 Secret Native American Foods To Keep You Alive Off-The-Grid - Off The Grid News
    Pinole: The Ultimate Bugout Food

And making lye from wood ashes. Used as a disinfectant, to make soap, to remove fur from hides, to make lutafisk, to process corn, and a lot of other things.

https://rusticwise.com/how-to-make-lye-for-soap/

Not planed, but both the soap and the pemmican use up some of that pesky tallow left over from the last beef you processed. Old timers weren't so stupid, took wood ashes from stove and beef tallow, cheap or free, and converted it into soap. In colonial times one source of cash money was the exportation of pot ash. Cut the trees down to clear the land, if not near a river, trees were nearly worthless. Burn trees to make ashes, run water thru ashes and make lye as strong as possible, boil down to crystals, making more ash, and sell potash to England for cash. For weight it was valuable and brought in enough money to buy nails, hinges and maybe even a window for that cabin. Big problem is they should be hardwoods.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    mechstdr, john316, Motomom34 and 13 others like this.
  2. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

Here is a four part series on making Pemmican

3. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

On the use of Pinole from parched corn, specifically when Pinole is made from the Indian/Dent family’s of corn. As a specific and sole source of survival food, the way of parching of the kernels before you grind them to make Pinole will be the matter of life or death.

Raw corn kernels have to be treated to release the Vitamin B/niacin complexes. Unbeknownst to the Native Americans, they actually treated the kernels when they parched the con directly in the hardwood ashes of their fires. The alkaline in the hardwood ashes released the Vitamin B/niacin complexes so that they could be absorbed by the digestive system. The nutritional disease as a result of a Vitamin B/niacin deficiency is known as Pellagra, a debilitating and fatal disease if left untreated. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pellagra

T
    his process of treating corn to the alkaline process is known as nixtamalization and this process is what gives us the end product of corn chips, tortillas, and even hominy. Nixtamalization - Wikipedia

mechstdr, duane and mysterymet like this.
  4. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

don't need to go primitive to the point of being cavemen >>> research what our grandparents did during the Great Recession and rationed days of both WW1 & 2 ...

I've been downloading skads of UTubes before more is censored off the internet >>> recent category involved the above - plenty of printed articles on the subject also including detailed recipes

mechstdr and duane like this.
  5. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

@Illini Warrior
    Please post a link of your download selection of one , so we know what were looking for .
    Sloth

mechstdr, john316 and duane like this.
  6. Navyair

Navyair Monkey++

Your premise of making survival food after TSHTF puts you in competition with every person out there who hasn't prepared. Which would you rather be: 1. Prepared ahead of time with food and water leaving you time to deal with whatever the situation is causing the STHTF? or 2. Trying to compete for food and water while dealing with the other items in your life...shelter, bugging out, dealing with the SHTF situation, etc.

If you've got families or neighbors to share the expense with, buying a food freeze dryer is a wise item to have ahead of time. That way you just buy a little extra meat or veggies on sale, prepare and seal them up. You can also FD leftovers of some items.

I went another route because the home FD machines weren't out yet.. We've got a pretty robust pantry, and I've put aside commercially prepared FD meats, veggies and some grains. We also keep a year's supply of cleaning and paper supplies on hand. (No TP wars for us!) I didn't buy this stuff all at once. Took about 2 years to acquire it all, and bought most of it on sale. I have a basement closet that has most of my emergency supplies, although the non-temp sensitive stuff (propane, stove, lantern, etc) is in the garage. We've tried recipes with the FD stuff and rotate stocks as they get older.

mechstdr, Gator 45/70 and chelloveck like this.
  7. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

That is definitely, "Should I eat that, or Did I" I'll grow what I can and Kill what I can, but at some point I will get tired of eating seagull.

mechstdr, chelloveck and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Ha, Every time I hit the Dallar Gentry store something in a can comes home!

9. Navyair

Navyair Monkey++

Seagull-tastes like chicken! (Actually I have no idea what it tastes like).

I'm reminded of an old roomie from college who was with me at flight school. He came in one day with his fingers all bandaged up. Told the story of rescuing a seagull that had had a fight with a German Shepard. Dog lost an eye, bird broke its wing. He tried to save the bird and it paid him back by shredding his fingers. I believe most of the damage happened when he tried to feed it.

I call 'em flying rats.

mechstdr, 3cyl and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. Dunerunner

No, Sir. Those would be Pigeons. [ghrit]

11. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

No, Sir. Those would be Bats... and they are flying around inside BiDumbs Head...

mechstdr and Gator 45/70 like this.
  12. Dunerunner

Leave it to you to be literal...:p

mechstdr and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. jefferson

jefferson Monkey

I m never eat seagull.. But thanks for your comment, I will try to taste seagull at least ones in my life.

mechstdr likes this.
  14. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Do not let the USFWS Catch you Catching, Killing, or Grilling a SeaGull... That is good for a few years in a FED GrayBar Hotel...
    They are a protected Specie.....

mechstdr and VisuTrac like this.
  15. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

Well that's one way to survive when the TSHTF ----3 hots and a cot, free medical, free TV, free sex change if your are so inclined.

mechstdr, Navyair and CraftyMofo like this.
  16. Navyair

Navyair Monkey++

Yeah, I knew that, just forgot to put that in a disclaimer. Now, about those bald eagle ka-bobbs.... (OK< just teasing!)

mechstdr and oldawg like this.
  1. Gator 45/70
  2. JC Refuge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. JC Refuge
  5. Dunerunner
  6. JC Refuge
  7. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  8. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 1, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  9. RJFab
  10. Minuteman
  11. TnAndy
  12. chelloveck
  13. john316
  14. JC Refuge
  15. Dunerunner
  16. JC Refuge
  17. DKR
  18. DKR
  19. apache235
  20. Ganado