Survival Hint 1

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Mortis, May 10, 2007.

1. Mortis

Mortis Snake Eater

One of the biggest problems with using Trioxine (Heat Tabs) is that the only purpose made stoves for them were used in the military and even then, they were rare. And I have one stashed away and will post it at a later date. One of the first lessons taught to my generation of Marines in Infantry School was how to construct a stove in the field.

Note: Through Boot Camp all of our meals were taken in a mess hall. In Infantry School, all of our noon meals were in the field, C-Rations, except on weekends, unless we was in the field then also. Which happened a couple times.

I'm not going to try to teach, via this medium, how to construct a C-Rat Stove. But I will give you an option, that you can make in your den, while watching Dancing With The Stars. And yes, an Esbit stove works nicely for Heat Tabs also.

The picture below is of a stove I made from an empty tuna fish can and some steel strips cut from the side of a scrap file cabinet. Trick here is to make sure the stove is all steel. The size of the risers will easily accommodate a Boy Scout mess kit components. You can also use Esbit fuel, Fire Sticks, or chunks of Starter Log as your fuel in this stove.

Note the holes near the bottom. Those are so the fire can breath. This stove has 4 holes, but you can put as many in as you desire. Without them, the fire will use all it's available oxygen and well, you know the rest. Corners of the risers have been rounded so they will not cut into whatever bag or pouch they are carried in.

[​IMG]

This type of stove can be made from any food can made from steel. The risers are 1.100 inches high and set down into the can 3/8 (.375) of an inch. The riser thickness is .045 thousandths. I would not use any thickness greater the 1/8th inch.

2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Nice. Thanks!
    I have toyed with a few primitive stoves.
    THis looks like it would work better than an open fire.

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

It might at that, but it weighs, however little, takes space, however little, and needs tabs. Could be a good thing in the desert, tho' --. Pretty clever, all the same. The price is certainly right.

4. ripsnort

ripsnort Monkey+++

Looks great but what does it weigh and what is it for? Any stove I carry is under 2 oz, anything heavier is for car camping.

"Arguing with a Marine is like wrestling with a Pig. Everyone gets dirty, but the Pig loves it."

The way I heard it:
    "Don't wrestle with pigs, because you're both going to get dirty and the pig is going to enjoy it."

5. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I never liked stoves for the easons posted above. I always used three rocks of equal size and would put them into a triangle with the heat tabs between. When done, let the tabs burn out and kick the rocks away. Now with that said, I was given a trioxane stove by a supply sargent once and still have it, haven't used it.

6. Mortis

Mortis Snake Eater

well....let me see..... it weights 3.1 ounces based on the wifes kitchen scale. The Esbit stove weights right at 3 ounces on same scale. Both weights are without fuel. hhmm... 2 ounces... I'd really like to have one of those stoves.

What I like about it is that it is much more stable then the Esbit stove.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back in the good old days..... :sick: the Trioxine tabs we received were approximately 2/3rds of the size you find today. With a bit a care and planning, with half a tab, you could heat a can of Beef Steak & Potatoes, then set your canteen cup on the C-Rat stove and heat up a half a cup of water for coffee or hot chocolate, if you had the chocolate powder in your B-Unit.

Sniper66.... if you don't want the stove ya hording....let me know.. we might make a deal.

7. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Well, once again, you will have to wait about four more months. I ought to just have a garage sale and invite y'all.

8. Mortis

Mortis Snake Eater

Well... a person has to learn to be patient or else become a patient. I'm in no hurry..... you just take care.

9. ripsnort

ripsnort Monkey+++

Check out http://www.hikinghq.net/
    Great site with a lot of gear reviews and tests. Check out the stove section - tests on a bunch of stoves and tests of trioxane vs esbit. I have an Esbit triangular folding stove which is a fraction of the weight of the clunker original - can't find a site for it tho.
    Also check out www.brasslite.com - under 2 oz pressurized alchol stove.

10. Mortis

Mortis Snake Eater

Yeah... I have one of those Esbit wing stoves.... I seem to collect lots of odd things....

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7